Author Topic: Nice Read on the Johnny Appleseed of Jackfruit  (Read 986 times)

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
Nice Read on the Johnny Appleseed of Jackfruit
« on: November 03, 2021, 11:14:01 AM »
By Hey Forum,

Came across this article and thought it was pretty interesting https://modernfarmer.com/2021/11/jackfruit-diversity-jackfruit-jayan-india/

Also there is a statement in the article that grafted jackfruits don’t live as long as seedlings, has anyone else seen this to be true?

Thanks,

Joe

cassowary

• Australia FNQ 13a Tropical Monsoon
    • View Profile
    • cassowaryseeds
Re: Nice Read on the Johnny Appleseed of Jackfruit
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2021, 08:00:34 PM »
One neghbouring farm have "pinks disese (fungus)" on some of their grafted jackfruits, even thought there is a lot of par-parasitic thricoderma fungus around which usually takes care of that on healthy tree's. Some of their grafted durian is not to healthy either, they are around 20-30 years young.
Grafting of genetically different plants is inherently anti-nature based on the probablility of this happening with no intervention and gafting of twisted branches in the same tree is natural and benefical in order to reduce rubbing.

If anyone know of naturally occuring grafting of genetically different plants please let me know. The closest I have found are roots in costal high wind forests locking their roots together as anchour.

Great read, thanks for sharing the article.
"The biggest fruit that Jayan has harvested, a variety called Muttom Varikka, weighed a whopping 122 pounds."

I can testify that I have two mid size healthy fruits on a 4 year old jackfruit seedling. No fertiliser or compost, only a 2l/h water dripper in dry season. It's about 6-8m short.
So there is not a lot of time gained on using grafted jacks in my opinion. This tree was direct planted, just put the seed in the ground.
CASSOWARYSEEDS.COM
Seed shop and Seed exchange

NateTheGreat

• SF Bay Area, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2021, 09:30:17 PM »
If anyone know of naturally occuring grafting of genetically different plants please let me know. The closest I have found are roots in costal high wind forests locking their roots together as anchour.

"It’s believed that pawpaws actively graft their roots together and share nutrients. " https://onegreenworld.com/pawpaw-growing-guide/

"Tree branches and more often roots of the same species will sometimes naturally graft; this is called inosculation." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grafting#Natural_grafting

cassowary

• View Profile
    • cassowaryseeds
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2021, 05:52:59 PM »
Thanks for the reference nate, appreciated :D Seams like it's crowded roots and rubbing branches which makes sense if the root space is highly occupied, since they sate this happens more if the paw paw is planted close together. Seams like it's done out of neccesity more then from desire in my opinion.
"It’s believed that pawpaws actively graft their roots together and share nutrients. More readily than many other species and close plant spacing helps to achieve this."

I read an article a while ago talking about certain dipterocarp forest trees syncronising flowering very accuretly and could be due to connectivity through the mycorrhiza network. Could not find the article to take it or leave it, found another one talikng about how they sync flowering but due to:
"The environmental cue for this irregular, but widespread mass flowering can be traced to a small dip of about 2° C below mean night-time temperature for 4 or 5 nights. The conditions for such temperature drops occur during El Nino events."

Could be usefull for predicting good durian and jackfruit flowering years.
CASSOWARYSEEDS.COM

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2021, 07:43:56 PM »
What we have seen here is that a strangler fig establishing on another species of ficus tree will graft itself to the ficus tree. Different branches show distinct leaves.
Peter

cassowary

• View Profile
    • cassowaryseeds
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2021, 06:58:19 PM »
Wow incredible, here I have only seen them taking over an killing the tree they grow on. It makes a very spectacular hollow trunk once the original tree have rotted away.
Gonna keep my eyes open for the strangler grafting to another ficus.
CASSOWARYSEEDS.COM

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk