Author Topic: Best avocado  (Read 2236 times)

Deansenecal

• Palm Coast, Fla
    • View Profile
Best avocado
« on: November 07, 2021, 11:30:41 PM »
I live in Palm Coast , Fla.   I have tried a lulu avocado it died, tried fiesta or something like that and while it produced fruit they were very small and more like a hass type avocado.  The meat of the avocado was full of fibers that made if difficult to eat.     I took out the fiesta and planted a Choquette.  Unfortunately the deers got to it and I don’t think it will survive.    I am headed to homestead, Fla to buy another avocado.   I want a large avocado.  Definitely want it to have lots of flavor.  We do get down to about 27-28 sometimes in the winter.    What is the BEST tree for me to get?   Unfortunately I don’t have room for two trees.   I am not interested in any of the Haas style of avocados.   I am looking for the Florida style larger avocado.     Thanks in advance for your help.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2021, 09:02:53 AM by Deansenecal »

Hermitian

• USA, CA, Vista, 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Best avocado
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2021, 12:14:25 AM »
Reed.

BonsaiBeast

• San Diego CA, USDA zone 10a, sunset zone 24
    • View Profile
    • BonsaiBeast
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2021, 02:12:11 AM »
I think sharwil is the best.

Best tasting avocado I've personally had and I have a big mature hass tree. Sharwil is a commercial variety in hawaii

Deansenecal

• Palm Coast, Fla
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2021, 07:11:25 AM »
Deleted
« Last Edit: November 08, 2021, 09:06:05 AM by Deansenecal »

Deansenecal

• Palm Coast, Fla
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2021, 07:13:01 AM »

Best tasting avocado I've personally had and I have a big mature hass tree. Sharwil is a commercial variety in hawaii

author=Hermitian link=topic=45614.msg444256#msg444256 date=1636348465]
Reed.

Thank you but I am looking for a larger Fla style avocado, not the Haas type.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2021, 09:04:54 AM by Deansenecal »

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2021, 09:26:17 AM »
My neighbor has a tree, and it's probably the best-tasting Florida avocado I've ever eaten.  Nice texture, too, and not at all watery.  Unfortunately the tree appears to be growing straight up, and I don't know if it could be trained to grow more horizontally.  He got the scion wood from a tree in the neighborhood that also grew straight up and very tall.  The flavor reminds me of Lula, but the fruit is a little larger.  He told me his tree produced about a dozen fruit this year, but unfortunately the squirrels went wild over them.  I believe the tree is only a few years old.  He offered to graft a tree for me.  If you're interested, PM me.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2021, 12:52:58 PM by johnb51 »
John

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2021, 09:40:56 AM »
I'm not sure about the temperature but Lula and Monroe are good choices.

Forum member CTMIAMI has an extensive website.
https://www.myavocadotrees.com/

Hermitian

• USA, CA, Vista, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2021, 03:32:49 PM »

author=Hermitian link=topic=45614.msg444256#msg444256 date=1636348465]
Reed.

Thank you but I am looking for a larger Fla style avocado, not the Haas type.

Reed is not a Haas type

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2021, 06:29:50 PM »
Unfortunately, Reed does not grow well in Florida
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

Hermitian

• USA, CA, Vista, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2021, 06:51:34 PM »
Unfortunately, Reed does not grow well in Florida

10 years ago there was a productive mature tree in Port Richey.

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2021, 07:09:18 AM »
I should rephrase that. Does not grow well in Homestead.  Port Richey is 250 miles north, cooler by a few degrees. This year we started November with average temperatures cooler by 10 degrees. I still have the tree. May be the cooler temps at this time will allow the tree to mature better fruit.
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2021, 08:46:45 AM »
For home use one of my favorites has been Brogdon. I say that because:
-a good ripe one has decent oil content and flavor
-they are early to mid season coming in around when the mango glut is done
- bears consistently for me
- easy to tell when it is ready, pick when almost fully black and they will be good.
One possible problem with one tree is pollination.

Hermitian

• USA, CA, Vista, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2021, 10:56:01 AM »
I should rephrase that. Does not grow well in Homestead.  Port Richey is 250 miles north, cooler by a few degrees. This year we started November with average temperatures cooler by 10 degrees. I still have the tree. May be the cooler temps at this time will allow the tree to mature better fruit.
I'm thinking the difficulty is with native soil and water table. Reed is a great performer in central America.

Jack, Nipomo

• San Luis Obispo County, CA zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2021, 01:32:41 PM »
I'm in CA and have many avocados, but Choquette does very well, is quite a large avocado, and good flavored.  It is one of my favorites.  Keep the Choquette going (and away from the deer)

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2021, 03:23:22 PM »
The best ones I’ve had are oro negro, tonnage and choquette.

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2021, 05:10:20 PM »
I'm thinking the difficulty is with native soil and water table. Reed is a great performer in central America.
Probably, A lot of the avocados in Central America are grow at higher elevations with great volcanic soil. We in Homestead are at 11 ft above sea level. (and I'm high, in elevation of course, compared with others.) for soil we have crushed coral rock.  Actually my grove in on a an ancient coral reel when Florida was under water for several million years.
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

Hermitian

• USA, CA, Vista, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2021, 06:07:25 PM »
Probably, A lot of the avocados in Central America are grow at higher elevations with great volcanic soil. We in Homestead are at 11 ft above sea level. (and I'm high, in elevation of course, compared with others.) for soil we have crushed coral rock.  Actually my grove in on a an ancient coral reel when Florida was under water for several million years.
Or at low elevations as backyard fruit.

fruitmonger

• S Florida 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2021, 08:00:51 AM »
Early Bearing I would recommend either Dupuis #2, Simmons or Miguel

Late bearing Monroe or Choquette.

Lula tastes good but the appearance is not great ,they have a tendency to scab (corking of lenticels), and fruit is more medium to small (for a tropical avocado)

Booth varieties are late august to September fruit and are round medium fruit.  Good producers and very good taste (IMO). Of the Booth numbered varieties it is easiest to find the 5, 7, 8 and 3.

My favorite...the Monroe or the Choquette.  I like Bucks and Wheelings too...but those are patented varieties and not readily available.

Best of luck in your search for the "perfect" tree.
"The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now." Chinese proverb

Fish Have Feelings

• South Miami, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2021, 04:36:28 PM »
ORO NEGRO is the best Florida avocado IMO. I also grow brogdon and Ooh la la.
Oro Negro is not a heavy bearer but the fruits are big enough that each one is big enough for a nice avocado salad.
Oro Negro with paper thin yellow onions, coarse sea salt and a drizzle of olive oil is SO GOOD.
BEEN READING FORUM FOR YEARS -RECENTLY REGISTERED

17 Mango cultivars at home, plus dozens of anonnas, avocados, guavas, lychees, and other fruits.

Hobbyist beekeeper and chicken person, amateur ecologist and pomologist. Easily amused but I probably like plants and animals more than people.

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2021, 02:38:34 PM »
Who has tried Semil 34?  That is what we are eating now for the next few weeks beats everything I grow. Unfortunately nurseries don't propagate them and commercial growers don't like them because they "claim" is alternate bearer.  Not in my experience, one year bears a lot and next year bears a lot lot lot. Branch breaking lot.
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

yoski

• Sebring, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2021, 02:47:22 PM »
From the ones I have planted here in Sebring FL (Brogdon, Oro Negro, Lula, Bacon, Monroe) the Monroe works best, Bacon be next. In Miami I tried Russel, Choquette and Simmonds.

canito 17

• Puerto rico
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2021, 05:21:04 PM »
Semil 34,32,43,50 and etcétera all poor quality. Utuado the same. Once I have all, now top grafted. Excellent for rootstock.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2021, 04:56:05 PM »
Semil 34,32,43,50 and etcétera all poor quality. Utuado the same. Once I have all, now top grafted. Excellent for rootstock.
What did you top graft on them?
John

canito 17

• Puerto rico
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2021, 07:55:45 PM »
Any avocado. Mostly my own selections