Author Topic: Cold hardy avocado seeds  (Read 1588 times)

avocado

• Sweden
    • View Profile
    • www.odlarinnan.com
Cold hardy avocado seeds
« on: December 28, 2021, 03:55:18 AM »
Im looking for cold hardy avocado seeds from these varieties:
*Fantastic
*Joey
*Poncho
*Lila
*Wilma (Brazos Belle)
*Mexicola Grande
*Winter Mexican
*Duke
*Mexicola
*Marcus Pumpkin
*Thompson Red
Do you have some seeds you would like to sell to me or do you know were I can buy them? I live in Sweden :)
Thank's  :)

mikkel

• Lueneburg, Germany Zone 7
    • View Profile
Re: Cold hardy avocado seeds
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2021, 04:33:58 PM »
Some time ago there were some for sale on ebay.

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2021, 06:13:32 PM »
Left out Toro Canyon and Duke 7 from the list

These two I don't think they are cold hardy: Marcus Pumpkin and  Thompson Red

Tell us about your project I have to assume you want to grow in a green house in Sweden?
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

avocado

• Sweden
    • View Profile
    • www.odlarinnan.com
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2021, 08:53:26 AM »
Ok, thanks for the info about cold hardy and not cold hardy varietes.
My projekt is to grow some of them in a green house and some outside. I live in south Sweden and the winters here can be pretty warm, around 0 degrees celcius.
Do you have some seeds to sell or do you know were I can buy them? Do you know which of them is the hardiest?

Avoman

• Sanger,Ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2022, 11:53:11 AM »
Personally I would focus on upper plant, different types over seed types,air temps are what get you,  easier to keep ground warm and graft warm enough.

Sune

• Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2022, 07:40:32 PM »
Hi, I am Sune from Denmark, and I have had the same idea as you for some time. Such seeds are very hard to get, but of all the things that I would like to grow in our garden - avocado ranks very high. Actually, you could try to contact the profile from this forum: tiendadefruta, Manolo Mateos. Not very active in here. He is from Spain and not long ago he gave me his phone number - you could try: +34 649 881 601. He might have cold hardy types. I have not had time to contact him, but it might be the best chance. Maybe it would even be possible with grafted plants - I don't know. You can send plants within EU.
A guy in UK runs a Youtube channel called Go Tropical UK. Unfortunately his is not very active anymore. But he got some cold hardy avocado seeds from US. He gave me the name of his supplier and I tried to contact him - but in vain. He never answered. Anyway, it has become very difficult to get seeds from US. I bought seeds from Trade Wind Fruits many times, but it is not possible anymore.
Would be nice to hear about you project. And if I find time, I will also still try to plant avocados. I would prefer grafted plants, as it takes a very long time from seed to fruit, as you may know.
We have had a couple of cold winters here in Denmark, and I am not sure that avocados would actually survive. I have killed a white sapote and what was supposed to be a very cold hardy lemon - but some stuff will survive... and I do use winter protection for the young plants. Best regards Sune

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2022, 11:23:16 PM »
i have mexicola grande and bacon seeds I can send to europe.  i already sent seeds to several people in europe without issues.
Brad Spaugh

nanoclay

• Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2022, 04:12:29 AM »
I have some seeds of a mexicola related cultivar (should be better than mexicola) in Germany.

varocketry2

• Avocados, avocados, more avocados
    • USA/FL/9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2022, 10:19:51 AM »
@SUNE, @AVOCADO:

QUESTION FOR MY LEARNING --  WHY do you seek seeds over scions?

I would think they are easier to ship and quicker to produce plants. 

But, I confess I'm a reader and not, yet, a do'er , so I may be poorly informed.

Varocketry2

Sune

• Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2022, 04:49:52 PM »
@varocketry2

I would indeed prefer scions over seeds. But it sounds even more difficult - if it is easier - that would be nice. I have learned recently that it is actually not legal to import certain cold hardy avocado types here in EU, whatever plant part. Recent legislation. A nursery on the Canary Islands told me and that is why you will never find such avocados in nurseries here. Which is really a shame, but, probably got to do with certain plant diseases. So only Bacon and Hass here, probably a couple more..

If there was some solution to this problem - that would be fantastic, but doesn't seem so.

Sune

shiro

• France La Rochelle
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2022, 11:05:20 PM »
i have mexicola grande and bacon seeds I can send to europe.  i already sent seeds to several people in europe without issues.

Really, Spaugh.
I must have missed the message or you mentioned it, otherwise I would have bought some from you already.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2022, 06:40:55 PM »

Really, Spaugh.
I must have missed the message or you mentioned it, otherwise I would have bought some from you already.

I have some seeds still if you want some send me a message. 
Brad Spaugh