Author Topic: Ilama in Oaxaca Mexico?  (Read 711 times)

BayAreaMicroClimate

• Dublin, California 9b
    • View Profile
Ilama in Oaxaca Mexico?
« on: January 30, 2022, 12:46:44 AM »
Does Ilama grow in Oaxaca? I have one that was sold as Oaxaca variety. I checked the weather and it seems to get about as cold as my location around 30F so it gives me hope to possibly grow. I’m sure the cold isn’t as many hours as Northern California

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
Re: Ilama in Oaxaca Mexico?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2022, 02:01:34 PM »
I’ve never seen ilama  there and I go to oaxaca pretty much.  But I think that Guatemalan western highlands would be similar weather.  Lots of avocadoes.  Black sapote grows amazing in oaxaca.

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
Re: Ilama in Oaxaca Mexico?
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2022, 05:43:20 PM »
Does Ilama grow in Oaxaca? I have one that was sold as Oaxaca variety. I checked the weather and it seems to get about as cold as my location around 30F so it gives me hope to possibly grow. I’m sure the cold isn’t as many hours as Northern California
yes ilama grows in Oaxaca State but in low elevations in coastal areas, if you are talking about Oaxaca city with high altitude it doesn't grow around there, I was looking all around Oaxaca city last summer and people didn't even knew what I was talking about, is a 5 house drive through the high hills to get to the coast from there...
El verde es vida!