Author Topic: The "Cerrado Curse"  (Read 15567 times)

wangyouqin

• china
    • View Profile
Re: The "Cerrado Curse"
« Reply #50 on: May 23, 2021, 07:38:50 AM »
Of all the cerrado species I have tried mangaba is probably the  the most frustrating. Much like chempadaks a sudden seedling death syndrome seems to hit them. I had a Nelita casualty that was inexplicable also and E. klotziana is jusst super slow and died to the ground and then regrows.

Mangaba I successfully used river sand + mixed rotten pine needles. PH3-4.5

wangyouqin

• china
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 23, 2021, 07:42:19 AM »
Of all the cerrado species I have tried mangaba is probably the  the most frustrating. Much like chempadaks a sudden seedling death syndrome seems to hit them. I had a Nelita casualty that was inexplicable also and E. klotziana is jusst super slow and died to the ground and then regrows.

Annona Crassiflora Have you succeeded? My leaves will grow yellow in the second year

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 23, 2021, 03:49:58 PM »
Yes grown healthy ones at 3 years old and still in a pot.

wangyouqin

• china
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 13, 2022, 05:10:36 AM »
Who has broken the spell? Has anyone fruited some cerrado species outside of their native range? or even kept a plant alive for more than one season (through a winter) ?

If so, what species...and how did u do it?

I managed to keep some alive this winter, by keeping them in pots, and out of the rain.

I had some Eugenia dysenterica seedlings that survived...just barely.  And I kept them so dry, it would have killed any other plant I can think of.  Even the E. klotzschianas i had right next to the dysentericas, died from drought.  (but I managed to keep some pera-do-campo alive).

Brosimum gaudichaudii...all look dead....and really wanted to taste this one...Maybe they will pop up? 

Pouteria. torta dead, P. ramilflora dead.

Annona coriacea alive!
Because most of my Cerrado species is alive, restarting this topic and bringing you experience

wangyouqin

• china
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 13, 2022, 05:22:39 AM »
Pouteria. torta
Pouteria ramilflora
Annona coriacea
Annona crassiflora
Annona Monticola

SouthBayHapaJoe

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 13, 2022, 11:10:15 AM »
Well I just spent a week in the Cerrado collecting species. The winter months are completely dry. Zero rain for 4 months and high fire activity. Then it rains for 5 months. The winter can get down to 3C and less frequently below zero. The entire region looks like compact sand and red clay. The fruit are amazing. I have a bunch of cerrado species that are getting bigger.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2022, 02:47:28 PM by SouthBayHapaJoe »

turpentyne

• 9b - 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 16, 2022, 04:31:00 PM »
What has been your experience on germinating Cerrado species? I'm thinking of trying a few, here in Phoenix. We've got salty clay soil here, and rarely get winter rains. Seems like we've got part of the formula to grow them, but not sure. I've been tempted to buy a few seeds from you, but is there a most successful time of year to get these going? Any tips?

Well I just spent a week in the Cerrado collecting species. The winter months are completely dry. Zero rain for 4 months and high fire activity. Then it rains for 5 months. The winter can get down to 3C and less frequently below zero. The entire region looks like compact sand and red clay. The fruit are amazing. I have a bunch of cerrado species that are getting bigger.

SouthBayHapaJoe

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 16, 2022, 08:53:12 PM »
The dry cool season ended in sept and warmer temps and rain starts and lasts the next three to four months. The seeds that I collected are already germinating as would be expected to enjoy the rain and warmer temps. My experience and limited successes so far has been to STOp all watering when temps drop below 50. Let me know if you have any questions.

W.

• United States, Alabama, 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 17, 2022, 05:59:18 PM »
I have two Ziziphus joazeiro plants that I started from seed in the late spring/early summer of 2021. They made it through the winter of 2021 with flying colors. I resisted the urge to water them. Now, they are going into their second winter. I keep them in clay pots with a soil mixture that could generously be described as terrible, comprised of used potting soil, sand, slightly larger grit, and a small amount of poor quality yard dirt. They are still quite small, but they more than doubled in height over the summer after I up-potted them into larger clay pots. I certainly hope to be able to keep them alive long term. So far, I'm seeing success with this Cerrado species.