Author Topic: Lessons learned February 4th 2021 were applied Jan 29/30 2022 frost freeze even  (Read 1715 times)

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
What lessons did you learn from the frost event of February 4th 2021 and how did you apply them to the recent Frost freeze event
of Jan 29/30 2022

https://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=42479.msg420514#msg420514

Saved all of my Bloom Plus fruit set

« Last Edit: February 04, 2022, 11:24:02 PM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

C24mccain

• Lakeland Florida zone 9b
    • View Profile
I almost setup overhead water this year but didn't get to it. After the three freeze nights we had this year I'm thinking I will get it setup next year. I did get a good pond pump installed this year and I have irrigation to my mangoes and lychee trees. I just need to do some plumbing with the right size wobblers. I have to to learn more about it.  Did your overhead frost protection pay off?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2022, 07:44:54 PM by C24mccain »

C24mccain

• View Profile
That's great. I'm hoping for a rebloom.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
 I really have to thank Galatians522 I really owe him a a solid. It was effective against two frost events and one freeze. I could have not asked for better results. When the temperature reached 36 on my WeatherBug app I would go outside  immediately turn on the irrigation. I've noticed that my WeatherBug app lags my thermometer by about an hour so I'm a turn it on at 37 at the next Frost event. The University of Florida says you can turn it off after temperatures rise above 32 the University of Michigan recommend waiting until the ice starts falling off the branches. I chose to leave it on until the ice completely melted except for in shaded areas. For frost events the overhead is very effective for it sprays the outside Bloom of the tree but for a freeze event having the PVC with the wobbler in the scaffolding of the tree I could see where that is definitely be beneficial. So I will use a combination of both techniques. The University of Florida also mentioned that Irrigation in combination with trunk rap is even more protective. So for a short-term mild freeze in my experience it works with mangoes. Anyting colder of a longer duration I have no idea if it will be effective but I do know doing nothing what the result would definitely be. I used garden hose to have the flexibility to adjust them according to the direction of the wind. Also used trunk wrap to protect last Summer's grafts and used a couple growth tubes that I got for my muscadine grapes  Will purchase more and incorporate them and to the freeze Protection Program

« Last Edit: February 03, 2022, 09:02:45 PM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
Congrats Bovine! Your hard work payed off! I'm so glad that your bloom made it through!

C24mccain

• View Profile
What color (size) wobbler did you use?

EddieF

• s.e. florida
    • View Profile
Bovine, good job!

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
I almost setup overhead water this year but didn't get to it. After the three freeze nights we had this year I'm thinking I will get it setup next year. I did get a good pond pump installed this year and I have irrigation to my mangoes and lychee trees. I just need to do some plumbing with the right size wobblers. I have to to learn more about it.  Did your overhead frost protection pay off?
The light blue mini wobblers work perfectly. Perfect ice formation on the leaves with a icicle on the end. The ice stayed crystal clear so much that at first I could not tell I thought the leaves were just wet until closer inspection. A lot of folks who put to much faith into bassoline are severely disappointed now.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
Congrats Bovine! Your hard work payed off! I'm so glad that your bloom made it through!
Since last Sunday's freeze event and last Monday's Frost event it triggered My West Indian varieties that had already bloomed to bloom even more. Took these photos today of Pickering Dwarf Hawaiian Buxton spice and Dot

« Last Edit: February 03, 2022, 09:37:35 PM by bovine421 »

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
Lessons Learned do not procrastinate. Take action. Think proactively and ask the right questions to the right people.TFF :)

John is that you? What has Rob done to you
Lol
« Last Edit: February 04, 2022, 11:36:07 PM by bovine421 »

Timbogrow

• Naples, FL 10b
    • View Profile
I'm glad I left some Pine, Sable palms, and cypress in the yard. I didn't do much but cover the few small plants with some tall cut grass and have no damage except to a 4' longan that just flushed new growth(very minor leaf damage by the cold gusty wind). The native trees really helped protect everything without taking away the sunlight.

Jagmanjoe

• USA, Florida, Lakeland, 9A
    • View Profile
The light blue mini wobblers work perfectly. Perfect ice formation on the leaves with a icicle on the end. The ice stayed crystal clear so much that at first I could not tell I thought the leaves were just wet until closer inspection. A lot of folks who put to much faith into bassoline are severely disappointed now.

Bovine, first off, I am really happy to see how well your tropicals have survived the freezes using the icing method.  And, thank you for sharing all the updates with pics as well.

My remaining questions for you right now is that I have tried to search through the threads on this and while I did see pics of the the mini wobblers, etc, I haven't been able to see where you sourced the wobblers.  Was it local or online if you don't mind sharing?  Also I have noticed pics of where you appeared to use not only the white PVC but in some cases perhaps what I refer to as the black funny pipe which has often popped apart at connections under pressure for me unless I have used hose clamps.  Do you have reasonable confidence in both?

Thanks again for all you have shared!

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile

Bovine, first off, I am really happy to see how well your tropicals have survived the freezes using the icing method.  And, thank you for sharing all the updates with pics as well.

My remaining questions for you right now is that I have tried to search through the threads on this and while I did see pics of the the mini wobblers, etc, I haven't been able to see where you sourced the wobblers.  Was it local or online if you don't mind sharing?  Also I have noticed pics of where you appeared to use not only the white PVC but in some cases perhaps what I refer to as the black funny pipe which has often popped apart at connections under pressure for me unless I have used hose clamps.  Do you have reasonable confidence in both?

Thanks again for all you have shared!

The drip Depot through Amazon. I used PVC and garden hose. What my original thought process was to store after Frost season is over to protect from UV radiation. But I do like to be able to move them around easily. There is a section where the PVC is buried. The black poly tubing I just got recently to experiment with some other micro sprinklers that use 7 mm tubing that Taps into half inch poly tubing. After the first Frost event several weeks ago I'm glad nothing was permanent because I moved some wobblers around. So it is definitely in a evolving learning process. One thing I've learned from this last freeze event was I didn't take into consideration the likely direction of the prevailing wind. I will tell you it was hard to keep the faith when I looked out my sliding door window and saw my trees completely covered in ice it was a real shocker. In hindsight I should have took more photos to document but it was so darned cold and wet. I probably should have put on a rain jacket LOL
« Last Edit: February 07, 2022, 08:08:36 PM by bovine421 »

Jagmanjoe

• View Profile
Thanks for the additional input, Bovine! 

One thing that I have learned to do for outside PVC relative to UV radiation is to use EMT PVC where it is not significantly more expensive than regular PVC because it contains UV inhibitors.  To me it does seem to hold up better and not get as brittle as regular PVC over time.  I need to try and find out if the UV inhibitors within the EMT PVC could cause any issues if it is used for a water line though.  I only use it for garden style posts and covers right now.

Now I need to get out there and see if I can cobble something together quickly as a couple of the forecast sources I check are calling for Lakeland temperatures to be around 40 tomorrow night and next Monday.  We are in some sort of pocket that consistently gets 5 to 10 degrees colder so I better try to be prepared to save what didn't get destroyed already.  I hate the microclimate area I am in but can't change that without moving and I am far too old to start over again with my trees, lol.

yuzr

• Monrovia
    • View Profile
Freeze before mature mango tree had made flower shoots. All new leaves had matured. All leaves are completely brown, will die.  Central FL, Feb 8. Do you expect that I will get no fruit this year?

A thought : Would frozen leaf removal in late Feb result in new leaves sooner?
If so, then remove all, or just at ends?       

Jagmanjoe

• View Profile
bovine, I and I am sure others would really like to see a few current pics of how your trees are doing now relative to using the wobblers.  Are the panicles generating fruit and are you seeing any residual benefit of additional panicles popping after the cold snaps?

Also, yuzr, I am also in Central Florida and have several trees similar to yours.  While mine are just beginning to show signs of new growth, I highly doubt that without surviving leaves on a tree, that those trees will generate fresh panicle growth this year, let alone produce any fruit.  I believe the best we can hope for is those trees generate new leaves and be thankful for those trees surviving at all to fruit again in future years.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
bovine, I and I am sure others would really like to see a few current pics of how your trees are doing now relative to using the wobblers.  Are the panicles generating fruit and are you seeing any residual benefit of additional panicles popping after the cold snaps?

Also, yuzr, I am also in Central Florida and have several trees similar to yours.  While mine are just beginning to show signs of new growth, I highly doubt that without surviving leaves on a tree, that those trees will generate fresh panicle growth this year, let alone produce any fruit.  I believe the best we can hope for is those trees generate new leaves and be thankful for those trees surviving at all to fruit again in future years.

Sugarloaf

PPK

Dot

Pickering

I actually blocked one side.   It spays in two directions for strip applications. I like that I can rifle in on a neglected area..Hopfull  it will use less pressure then other micro sprinklers.  Still experimenting and testing.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2022, 03:08:20 AM by bovine421 »

Jagmanjoe

• View Profile
Thanks for those pics, bovine.  I have decided to go the same direction as you regarding future frosts and freezes.  Struggling to put heat sources and covers over trees every time a hard cold front is imminent only to see it prove ineffective due to wind or other issues is insanity at my age.  I just need to have everything in place and leave it intact year round as I already have the main water lines in place underground for the most part.

I am also going to look into setting up a metering system where I simply change out the mini wobblers to lower volume mister wobblers during the regular season to be able to spray fungicides, insecticides and nutritional sprays as needed.  If I put open/close valves at each tree, I could quickly adjust the system to only spray the trees I want to treat.  Perhaps the day after any treatment, clear the lines by running plain water if needed or add a t connection with a separate open/close valve.  Close the valve to the tree and open the flushing valve.  Things like that are certainly inexpensive enough to make the setup as sophisticated as one would want.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
Thanks for those pics, bovine.  I have decided to go the same direction as you regarding future frosts and freezes.  Struggling to put heat sources and covers over trees every time a hard cold front is imminent only to see it prove ineffective due to wind or other issues is insanity at my age.  I just need to have everything in place and leave it intact year round as I already have the main water lines in place underground for the most part.

I am also going to look into setting up a metering system where I simply change out the mini wobblers to lower volume mister wobblers during the regular season to be able to spray fungicides, insecticides and nutritional sprays as needed.  If I put open/close valves at each tree, I could quickly adjust the system to only spray the trees I want to treat.  Perhaps the day after any treatment, clear the lines by running plain water if needed or add a t connection with a separate open/close valve.  Close the valve to the tree and open the flushing valve.  Things like that are certainly inexpensive enough to make the setup as sophisticated as one would want.

I just ordered some of these They have the 1/2 inch thread like the mini wobblers but they have a downward deflector. If you put it up through the center of the tree above the canopy about a foot. I'm curious to how well the coverage will be. I'm already doing that with one tree with the KBK but with this new spinner I wouldn't have to deal with poly and spaghetti tubing along with the accessories
The rotor rain Orange has a similar gallons per hour has the light blue mini wobbler
https://www.skyhawkresources.com/product-p/22395.htm
« Last Edit: February 23, 2022, 08:05:42 PM by bovine421 »

shot

• usa fl bokeelia 10
    • View Profile
You should talk to Dr Crane at TREC at Homestead,about over head vs in tree sprinklers(ice load).Radiation freeze vs advective freeze,evaporative cooling(affect ),and power backup as they were talking about implementing rolling blackouts with this cold snap.They did in the great 1989 freeze and that was the first time ever!And the population increase in Florida is insane now.

tractorparts

• Bay lake
    • View Profile
Yes irrigation has its limits the University of Michigan Missouri North Carolina and even Georgia talk about these issues extensively especially with their spring stone fruit blueberries and strawberries. There's freezes with marginal wind and freezes with significant wind. Overhead would be more appropriate for frost. You could lose a season crop and interior irrigation would be for freeze. Which could cause major damage to the tree. I think they mentioned that they are going to be able to switch from one to the other when necessary. Not using them at all if forecast dictates that. Relying on trunk rap and sand
« Last Edit: February 24, 2022, 12:08:06 PM by tractorparts »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk