Author Topic: Yangmei (Morella/Myrica rubra) thread  (Read 59587 times)

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Yangmei (Morella/Myrica rubra) thread
« Reply #400 on: January 29, 2023, 09:09:22 AM »
I’ve had better success when the buds are nicely formed but before they push actual growth.

Simon

thesimsdude

• United States, Fl, Auburndale Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: January 29, 2023, 09:19:09 AM »
Has anyone had success growing Yangmei from seed? Ive had no luck even after cold stratifying. Any tips ?

Did you crack the seed before planting? I’ve had luck germinating Yangmei seeds by sticking them in pots and just waiting about 1 year. They naturally cold stratified outdoors and popped up by themselves without cracking the outer seed.

There is a protocol for germinating seeds on the Facebook Yangmei group

Simon

I did not crack the seeds before planting, Should I try that one a couple ( break open the hard shell ) and let the bare seed be? Did that with some other fruits and they sprouted 5x faster

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #402 on: January 29, 2023, 05:26:54 PM »
If anyone has the seed germination protocol from Facebook, can they post it here?

I am not experienced in germination of Yangmei seeds so I don’t would see what others with more experience have done. For the seeds I did germinate, I didn’t crack the seeds but it took them about a year to germinate.

Simon

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: January 29, 2023, 05:32:01 PM »
If anyone has the seed germination protocol from Facebook, can they post it here?

I am not experienced in germination of Yangmei seeds so I don’t would see what others with more experience have done. For the seeds I did germinate, I didn’t crack the seeds but it took them about a year to germinate.

Simon
On fb, people tended to side against cold stratification. Or the results were so similar it really didn't matter. I think as long as the soil and water conditions are met, all you need is time. People have cracked the seeds. Just there has not been many fresh seeds making it to the US most of them are already really old. Of course it's ok but years old is not good. I have some yangmei seeds coming in hopefully soon and I hope to share results into the future.

Jaboticaba45

• Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: January 29, 2023, 11:04:36 PM »
I'm going to plant a grove of these trees. hopefully 12-16 or so trees.
Recommendations for spacing requirements?

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #405 on: January 30, 2023, 10:13:14 AM »
I just read a post in a Chinese forum, thanks Bill for the link:

One of the expert the said water YangMei with a mixed beer or carbon drink, like soda with 30 to 50 time of water will help the PH level because those drinks have a high PH level.

What does everyone think about this idea?

Thanks,
Al

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: January 30, 2023, 10:27:40 AM »
For graft:

Someone said, for the best result:  Don't tie too tight.

Thanks,
Al

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: January 30, 2023, 10:33:00 AM »
New way for cold protection.

Kankan

• Fallbrook, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: January 30, 2023, 10:38:53 AM »

Simon

I think the cold stratification is replaced and the germination process accelerated by soaking the seeds in 50 ppm of Gibberellic acid (GA3) for around 10 hours. Id attach the protocol (Thanks to Ron Demler for taking the time to put his process in print) but cant seem to attach anything to this post??

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: January 30, 2023, 11:07:09 AM »
This is one of the best full cover of how to grow YangMei, but it is in Chinese.  Hope someone have time to translate it.

https://bbs.shuiguobang.com/thread-1306832-1-2.html

Thanks,
Al

JCorte

• Laguna Beach and Fallbrook, CA, zone 10b/10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: January 30, 2023, 11:31:09 AM »

Hi Ryan, have you seen these videos by California Rare Fruit Growers?  Episode #23 shows a planting of a Yangmei orchard in Northern California and Episode #17 features the personal garden of the founder of Calmei.  Some of his trees look like they are planted close together.
https://crfg.org/home/library/crfg-inc-video-gallery/lets-find-out/

Two summers ago, Marta sent me some fresh seeds of Yangmei.  I kept them in the fridge.  They all sprouted quickly once I planted them in late February.  Caterpillars love the young sprouts, so this time I will keep them protected with tulle fabric.

Janet

Jaboticaba45

• Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: January 30, 2023, 02:40:37 PM »

Hi Ryan, have you seen these videos by California Rare Fruit Growers?  Episode #23 shows a planting of a Yangmei orchard in Northern California and Episode #17 features the personal garden of the founder of Calmei.  Some of his trees look like they are planted close together.
https://crfg.org/home/library/crfg-inc-video-gallery/lets-find-out/

Two summers ago, Marta sent me some fresh seeds of Yangmei.  I kept them in the fridge.  They all sprouted quickly once I planted them in late February.  Caterpillars love the young sprouts, so this time I will keep them protected with tulle fabric.

Janet
Thanks Janet for the information. I’ll check it out!

JCorte

• Laguna Beach and Fallbrook, CA, zone 10b/10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: January 30, 2023, 09:42:42 PM »
I shared this link to an article from Australia on the group order thread, but thought I would post here as well.

In the longest section under questions at the end, the nursery says they "have no trouble growing them from cuttings" and elsewhere they mention some trees will be both male and female.

https://stfc.org.au/articles/myrica-rubra-the-red-bayberry-2/

Has anyone tried propagating by cuttings?

Janet

Epiphyte

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
    • Epiphytes and Economics
« Reply #413 on: January 31, 2023, 12:36:05 AM »
anyone know whether the seeds from store-bought dried yangmei fruits are viable?  i did a quick search online and found one answer that said that seeds are viable if the fruit was sun-dried, but unviable if cook-dried.  the specific brand i have is "tong xiang".  i'm guessing that the fruits are cook-dried but figured that i'd ask anyways.

NateTheGreat

• SF Bay Area, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: January 31, 2023, 12:38:28 PM »

I'd be worried about the rope getting wet and allowing fungi to grow on the trunk under it.

Jaboticaba45

• Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: January 31, 2023, 01:08:57 PM »

I'd be worried about the rope getting wet and allowing fungi to grow on the trunk under it.
Why protect them from cold? They are already very cold tolerant.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: January 31, 2023, 03:11:45 PM »
Re: cold stratification, don't know if it's needed? I just plopped all my Calmei seeds in pots and left them in my greenhouse which hasn't gone below 40f really. They are all sprouting just fine.

I think it just takes a really long time is all.

Hopefully the rats and mice stop decapitating the sprouts now that I surrounded the pots with traps.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #417 on: January 31, 2023, 03:20:15 PM »
I just read a post in a Chinese forum, thanks Bill for the link:

One of the expert the said water YangMei with a mixed beer or carbon drink, like soda with 30 to 50 time of water will help the PH level because those drinks have a high PH level.

What does everyone think about this idea?

Thanks,
Al

Al, I would be very wary of this, although this may work, there may be unintended consequences. Instead, you may want to use pH down or slow release sulfur.

Some of the Chinese articles mention extremely low pH levels, below 5, but my plants seem to be very healthy at around 6.3

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #418 on: January 31, 2023, 03:37:06 PM »
Here is a picture of a female Dongkui bloom on one of the plants I grafted several months ago. Unlike the bloom I posted of the An Hai, this bloom actually opened and you can see the pistils sticking out. This tree is growing at a friend’s house and multiple other trees I have scattered around San Diego have similar female bud formation. These trees are still too small to hold fruit so hopefully next year, some of my males will be ready and the female trees will be large enough that fruit production won’t hinder vegetative growth as much.

Simon

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: February 01, 2023, 04:59:15 PM »
Absolutely awesome Simon!

You are continually a trailblazer in the space

CarolinaZone

• USA,NC,7B
    • View Profile
« Reply #420 on: February 01, 2023, 08:06:43 PM »
Does anybody care to comment on how much light is too little. I have kept might is very low light since I got them. Could this be a problem?

Jaboticaba45

• Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: February 01, 2023, 08:11:30 PM »
Does anybody care to comment on how much light is too little. I have kept might is very low light since I got them. Could this be a problem?
No leaves so it's not like it can get energy or anything. Just don't keep in the dark and you'll be fine. Mine are in greenhouse so they are getting decent sun for a few hours. Slowly acclimate to full sun once they start to grow.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: February 01, 2023, 08:36:18 PM »
I would go with dappled sunlight, with indirect light all day, or supplemental lights (even 24 hours). Hard to see everything that is going on underneath buddy tape. Also, the right wavelengths of light (280 - 100 nm) inhibits and even kills mold and other pathogens.

Reedo

• Santa Cruz, CA - zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: February 02, 2023, 01:35:24 PM »
Seed cold stratification:
Marta of CRFG says she has had better consistency with germination when seeds are cold stratified. I've planted fresh seeds and left them in my greenhouse over winter, and I've cold stratified seeds. I have noticed no difference between the two methods, however, there is an advantage to having your seeds safe from critters when cold stratifying in your refrigerator.

Grafting:
Someone suggested they need to be more loosely wrapped. I have grafted mine with the same amount of pressure I use on everything else, from apples, pears, plums, citrus, avocados, etc. It seems unlikely the pressure of your grafting materials will have as large of an affect on your grafts as the health of your rootstock, the health of your scions, and the timing of your grafting.

Light preferences:
Young seedlings seemed to prefer morning sun, and afternoon shade. It depends on your microclimate, but the seedlings I lost looked like they got cooked. Once they're established, they appear to be able to take full sun without issue.

Pictured below is an in-ground multi-grafted plant that was grafted one year ago, a few 2 year old seedlings direct sown in the ground, and a fresh batch of seeds that are germinating right now.

fruit4me

• USA, CA/LOS ANGELES,SAN GABRIEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: February 02, 2023, 02:03:30 PM »
Dongkui cutting started on 1/3/23
So excited to see flower buds