Author Topic: My Citrus collection  (Read 7356 times)

pajoojo

• Greece, Attiki
    • View Profile
My Citrus collection
« on: March 14, 2013, 10:51:40 AM »
Citrus medica "rubra"

Citrus medica"corsica"

C.medica dactylifera :

Citrus bergamia

C.hystrix

enfin les limes et citrons:

C.latifolia

C.aurantifolia

C.lemon

Passion for spices, incense, mangoes and rare wood tropical

pajoojo

• Greece, Attiki
    • View Profile
Re: My Citrus collection
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 10:54:57 AM »
some plants of my collection ( in Switzerland, not yet in Greece)

C.paradisii yellow

C.paradisii rosa

C.latifolia

C.bergamia

C.aurantifolia

C.hystrix

C.sinensis sanguinea

C.australica or C.australasica

No picture, but I have also a yuzu, satsuma a Hybrid USA, and a "citron galet* from La Reunion island.

Zambezi

• USA, Houston, TX. Zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 02:20:55 PM »
Pajoojo

Great Citrus collection, :). You've got a nice neat setup on your patio. I bet your patio must have a heavenly scent when all the citrus is in bloom.
Beautiful...

Greenthumb

pajoojo

• Greece, Attiki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2013, 03:24:40 PM »
Thank's. In fact most of them are blooming during winter..so I put the inside...where the flavour is stronger..

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2013, 05:12:57 PM »
Hi Pajoojo,
Awesome collection of citrus 8) Your trees look very healthy and growing very well in pots...I bet your neighbours love you for providing them with the parfum from your citrus trees ;) My sanguineli and lanelate bahia orange, are cracking the whip with flowers for few weeks, but no fruit set yet...and they are also in pots ;D

BTW, i got to taste a Citrus medica fruit, from the same cultivar, which i bought a grafted tree...the flavour had a mild lime like flavour, with a fingerlime texture...the so called caviar. I like it and the skin is locally used in cakes, sweets....etc  8)

Thanks for sharing :)
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2013, 07:37:00 PM »
nice pics and potted plants!!!

Tomas can relate to your collection I bet. I heard it all started for him with citrus in Switzerland.

Now you must try to fruit some jaboticabas!  Your best bet is the Red (hybrid M cauliflora)
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

pajoojo

• Greece, Attiki
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2013, 03:36:07 AM »
Thanks guys!

Jackfruitwhisperer69: Here also we use the skin of C.medica, C.bergamia, C.aurantium, C.maxima . We do what we call glykokoutalaki it is cadied fruit in sirup, really tasty.

My caviar tree has not yet produced any fruits...

ASaffron: So in few weeks all these plants will come here in Greece with me...      I never tried Jaboticaba, I saw a lot of this plant in Reunion island and Thailand..

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2013, 02:33:17 PM »
What a nice and healthy collection of Citrus trees. You're doing an excellent job growing them in pots! I agree, you have a really nice set up there. Seems ideal with lots of sun and fresh air.  Enjoy...

red durian

• Malaysia, Sabah, Tawau
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2013, 06:46:40 AM »
Very impressive collection.  I never would have guessed a private individual in Switzerland would have numerous species of fruiting citrus.  You have more citrus species than I have ever managed to collect in the tropics!  Have you written any "How to -" articles on the subject of citrus cultivation in a cold climate?

We make daily use of Citrus hystrix leaves and Citrus aurantifolia fruits.  During the short window when C. aurantifolia is unavailable, we substitute with X Citrofortunella mitis fruits.

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2013, 02:58:13 PM »
Wow, very nice collection!

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2013, 10:04:43 PM »
Very nice collection all looking very healthy and in pots too! 8)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2013, 12:03:17 AM »
Really nice collection. And in Switzerland! That is a real feat. Curious as to how you will move that whole collection from Switzerland to Greece?
Oscar

pajoojo

• Greece, Attiki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2013, 08:45:27 AM »
Thanks all!

Citrus are not really difficult to grow in Switzerland, but you need a special fresh place (orangerie) during the winter to grow them. It's easier as true tropical trees due to the fact they have training to variation of temperatures, which is frequent in the Alps.

I will probably send by post the biggest ones (as my C.hystrix which is 2m tall) and the smallest rarest ones I'll bring them with me bare roots. But before to try to carry them bare roots, I will try to graft them and bring with me only scions. For the most common ones as lemon, orange,... I will sale them, because I can find them here also.

pajoojo

• Greece, Attiki
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2013, 08:53:29 AM »
@ red durian.

Maybe have you ever seen these species:

I bought some fruits of these 2 species in Indonesia, but unfortunately there was no seeds inside.

If you are interested to exchange seeds/scions, let me know!

I have brought back some plants from Vietnam, India, La Réunion, (mostly Asia) other are from nursery...

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2013, 01:48:18 PM »
Nice citrus collection you have there.  :)
Alexi

Gary Greenfingers

• England, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2014, 06:47:51 AM »
That's an impressive collection of container-grown citrus plants! I have a question: if I were to grow citrus plants from seed (as opposed to cuttings or grafted scions), is it at all possible for them to bear fruit in containers whilst at a small size (i.e. 3-4 feet tall)? I live in the UK and have no choice but to grow in containers because of our rather cool and wet winters. I would love to import some cuttings or grafted scions into the UK!

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2014, 12:05:28 PM »
Awesome citrus collection! What is your favorite tasting citrus that you grow and can you describe the flavor?

I love Gold Nugget Tangerine, it is a really sweet tangerine with a deep rich bright flavor that feels like the perfect Spring morning sunshine hitting your face as you walk out into a beautiful garden.

I am also starting to really enjoy the flavor of Calamansi that my Filipino neighbor brings me. I don't really like tart fruit but the scent and aroma of Calamansi is absolutely amazing! It taste like a combination of Kumquat with tangerine with a base flavor and strong scent if Rangpur lime. I make a limeade with it, same as limeade but use Calamansi instead. I prefer to pop a miracle fruit so that I don't have to use any sugar but if no miracle fruit is available, I just add a lot of sugar to balance the acidity.
Simon

MarcV

• TheCitrusMan
    • Schoten, Belgium
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2014, 06:21:35 AM »
@ red durian.

Maybe have you ever seen these species:

I bought some fruits of these 2 species in Indonesia, but unfortunately there was no seeds inside.

If you are interested to exchange seeds/scions, let me know!

I have brought back some plants from Vietnam, India, La Réunion, (mostly Asia) other are from nursery...

Now those look like extraordinary citrus species! Never seen anything like it before! :)
...but I could be wrong...

Igor

• Novi Sad, Serbia
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2014, 10:49:02 AM »
@pajoojo - You've got a real citrus orchard on your patio! :D But how on earth can you leave them standing in saucers full of water? Long term, it can lead to suffocation of fine feeder roots, causing severe root damage.

Igor
Igor