Author Topic: Best Tasting Loquats For 2022 Season  (Read 7479 times)

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
Re: Best Tasting Loquats For 2022 Season
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2022, 11:58:44 AM »
Here's some recent photos I took of the Vista White loquat, I may need to move up the rating on this guy. All of you who are on the advance list when I cut this tree down will know the type of fruits you will get. The Vista White fruit is different from all of the white flesh varieties. The flesh is sweet, fluffy, texture is unique. You will not find another loquat with this type of texture. Reminds me of a fluffy pound cake. Skin is very thin, fruits are roundish, like a gold nugget mandarin (odd shape round).

As I mentioned earlier, there seems to be two distinct fruits that I get on this large tree, these neat looking fruits and another type which is not as large, skin is smooth. The larger fruits shown below has some peach fuzz but both tastes great. Only these fruits shown have the unique texture. It's a must have for any loquat collector. My tree is over 30yrs old.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2022, 12:01:31 PM by sc4001992 »

snowjunky

• USA, Arizona, Phoenix, 9a/9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2022, 02:26:00 PM »
Looks delish!  I can't wait to see your test results.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2022, 03:45:01 AM »
All my loquats are pretty much done now. I will wait a few weeks more and no one else has any more loquat fruits for this year to provide comments on best tasting then I will post the rest of my taste comparisons.

As I mentioned, I started to take Brix reading a month into the fruits ripening for me so I didn't get to record all my varieties. I will say that the lowest Brix reading for 10 and today I tasted the highest Brix reading fruit of 23.

Brix of 23 is very high, it does appear that most of the time, when I do the group comparison the ones with the highest brix seems to come in top of the list for best tasting.

mbmango

• LAX, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2022, 02:16:09 AM »
Didn't get a single fruit this year, so hoping to live vicariously through any updates here :P

snowjunky

• USA, Arizona, Phoenix, 9a/9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2022, 02:24:57 AM »
All my loquats are pretty much done now. I will wait a few weeks more and no one else has any more loquat fruits for this year to provide comments on best tasting then I will post the rest of my taste comparisons.

As I mentioned, I started to take Brix reading a month into the fruits ripening for me so I didn't get to record all my varieties. I will say that the lowest Brix reading for 10 and today I tasted the highest Brix reading fruit of 23.

Brix of 23 is very high, it does appear that most of the time, when I do the group comparison the ones with the highest brix seems to come in top of the list for best tasting.

Hey Kaz, we're ready for you best tasting loquat report  ;D

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2022, 12:44:52 AM »
It's to difficult to list the best tasting since everyone's taste is different, some like it sweet and tart, others like it very sweet only.

But I will post some group taste tests I did, and also a preliminary brix reading for the ones I had time to take the readings. Next year I should be able to update the brix table and hope to get a reading from most of my varieties if they all have fruits next summer (78 varieties).

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2022, 01:49:01 AM »
Here's the preliminary Brix reading I made in May 2022. I didn't have my brix meter until May so I was not able to take brix readings of some of my varieties.

One note on Big Jim White, I had only 2 fruits and when i made the brix reading the fruits were overripe and wrinkled.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2022, 01:56:37 AM by sc4001992 »

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2022, 09:44:33 AM »
It's to difficult to list the best tasting since everyone's taste is different, some like it sweet and tart, others like it very sweet only.

But I will post some group taste tests I did, and also a preliminary brix reading for the ones I had time to take the readings. Next year I should be able to update the brix table and hope to get a reading from most of my varieties if they all have fruits next summer (78 varieties).
But if the topic is "Best Tasting Loquats,"  shouldn't we at least get someone's opinion? :)
John

mbmango

• LAX, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2022, 04:47:38 PM »
Interesting data.  Were the KT06 and KT23 getting overripe also? 

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2022, 05:31:48 PM »
John, the brix table is just a FYI reference, not showing which one is the best tasting. Some people like to know what the sugar content is on fruits, so I decided to add this table while I was doing my taste test. I have some other group taste test photos that I need to gather so I can post here later.

mbmango, the KT06 & KT23 had many fruits and the brix reading is accurate, it registered very high. I tested many fruits to be sure. It will be interesting to see the same test next year when most of these varieties should be at least second year fruits. My Kt06 & KT23 trees are large but just had fruits for the first time in 2022.

This year I only tasted fruits from 43 varieties but next year I hope to taste most of my 78 varieties if they all fruit on my mult-grafted tree.

Saone

• Central vietnam
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2022, 07:01:54 AM »
non related loquat question. Do loquats grow decent in sub tropical/tropical areas? Live in a sub tropical are with temps between 5c to 40c and wondering if they will do well in my climate.

grant5185

• Sebastian, Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2023, 10:19:11 AM »
Great post.  So helpful to those of us just learning about loquats

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
Re: Best Tasting Loquats For 2023 Season
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2023, 10:24:02 PM »
FYI, I have started a new post on the loquats ripening for 2023 but I will also continue this post to update the results of the 2023 loquat taste comparison. Mainly will be a table of the loquat varieties that ripened for me this year and the brix reading for it.

hammer524

• USA, Arizona, Phoenix, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2023, 07:13:41 PM »
I purchased a "HoneyQuat" from lara farms today. My peluche died last month :(

I'll report back with this new find

https://larafarmsmiami.com/products/untitled-sep5_16-22

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2023, 10:57:17 PM »
Sounds interesting, but it's just another seedling loquat, hope the fruits are as good as they describe it. I wonder why there is no photos of the fruit or the cut open flesh showing the inside nector juice oozing out.

hammer524

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2023, 11:02:11 PM »
Sounds interesting, but it's just another seedling loquat, hope the fruits are as good as they describe it. I wonder why there is no photos of the fruit or the cut open flesh showing the inside nector juice oozing out.

Good point, guess i'll have to take his word.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2023, 11:05:31 PM »
Well, I just hope it is grafted from a fruiting tree so it will only take 2 years before you get fruits, otherwise it might take longer to see fruits.

JCorte

• Laguna Beach and Fallbrook, CA, zone 10b/10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2023, 10:10:42 AM »
From all the interviews I've heard, Julian is always on the lookout for great fruit varieties.  He and his nursery have a long standing reputation, seems unlikely he would market and sell something that wasn't good.  Anytime I've had an issue with anything I've ordered, he's given me a full refund.

Whether something will taste as good grown outside of Florida under different conditions is a whole other consideration.

Great varieties can me found from "just another seedling."   I'm planting out hundreds of seedlings myself, and Kaz found what he considers his best varieties from seeds. 

From his description he's selling grafted trees from the fruiting variety he tasted.

Janet
« Last Edit: September 13, 2023, 10:13:59 AM by JCorte »

hipasfolk

• Central FL, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2023, 03:35:34 PM »
I purchased a "HoneyQuat" from lara farms today. My peluche died last month :(

I'll report back with this new find

https://larafarmsmiami.com/products/untitled-sep5_16-22

That also caught my eye when I was looking for something else and I ended up ordering one as well!

hammer524

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 13, 2023, 04:05:45 PM »
From all the interviews I've heard, Julian is always on the lookout for great fruit varieties.  He and his nursery have a long standing reputation, seems unlikely he would market and sell something that wasn't good.  Anytime I've had an issue with anything I've ordered, he's given me a full refund.

Whether something will taste as good grown outside of Florida under different conditions is a whole other consideration.

Great varieties can me found from "just another seedling."   I'm planting out hundreds of seedlings myself, and Kaz found what he considers his best varieties from seeds. 

From his description he's selling grafted trees from the fruiting variety he tasted.

Janet

For me I had an issue with an order and it was like pulling teeth to get a refund. Can't really complain about customer service while ordering out of state to AZ.

JCorte

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 13, 2023, 05:32:55 PM »
Hammer524, did you end up getting your refund?  There were 3 occasions where I was issued a refund.  I spoke with Julian directly and he refunded me immediately each time, one time was for sending me a 1 gallon instead of the 3 gallon size I ordered.  I got to keep the 1 gallon for free.

Hope the Honeyquat turns out to be a good one, he's already sold out.  I didn't get one but am interested to hear from others their assessment when it fruits.

Janet

hammer524

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 13, 2023, 06:29:23 PM »
Hammer524, did you end up getting your refund?  There were 3 occasions where I was issued a refund.  I spoke with Julian directly and he refunded me immediately each time, one time was for sending me a 1 gallon instead of the 3 gallon size I ordered.  I got to keep the 1 gallon for free.

Hope the Honeyquat turns out to be a good one, he's already sold out.  I didn't get one but am interested to hear from others their assessment when it fruits.

Janet

So in August 2022 I emailed him about a box of guava fruit that I paid for and never received. Never heard back from him.

Then in March 2023 I received a Lemon Zest 1g instead of a PPK 1g. Emailed him and he responded say Ill send out a return label for the Lemon Zest and send out a PPK on monday.
Followed up with emails in April, May, June but never received a label or a PPK.

I was like whatever, Lemon zest is supposed to be great on the west coast and PPK is my fave mango. Thinking I was gonna keep it since i never heard back prior. Decided to buy a 3 gallon PPK from him. But I received a 1 gallon PPK
Sent him another email about the refunds which he responded to by telling me to call him, which i did.
Did not receive a refund until after 2 weeks or so from that call and had to call again for a refund. He only refunded me for the price of the guava box $35 and the difference between 1 gal and 3 gal PPK.

So $95 dollars was refunded and shipping was not refunded for either the guava box or the 3 gallon tree.
Generally I have learned with growing stuff here that its a money losing venture, trees die, and be grateful what can be shipped here.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2023, 06:51:22 PM by hammer524 »

JCorte

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 13, 2023, 08:29:48 PM »
Hammer 524, sorry to hear about your experience, it's so different than mine.  The time I was sent an incorrect tree, he didn't ask me to return it and just refunded me within a couple days.

Have you tried planting out a bunch of loquat seeds to select for a better tree for your growing conditions?  I have noticed my Peluche tree doesn't seem to like full sun even in my milder climate.

I planted a grafted Peluche tree I got from Flying Fox in a full sun spot and the young leaves that have not fully hardened off get wilted looking mid-day.  I let a fig growing next to it get large enough to provide some shade and it's growing much better.  The Peluche branch grafted on my mature Big Jim is the same, it's the only variety that seems sensitive.  Once the leaves harden off, they seem okay.

I wonder if a variety that does really well in Florida is adapted to more humidity.  Do you have a partly shaded spot to plant the Honeyquat?  I hope you have better luck with it than the Peluche.

Janet

hammer524

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 13, 2023, 08:37:34 PM »
Hammer 524, sorry to hear about your experience, it's so different than mine.  The time I was sent an incorrect tree, he didn't ask me to return it and just refunded me within a couple days.

Have you tried planting out a bunch of loquat seeds to select for a better tree for your growing conditions?  I have noticed my Peluche tree doesn't seem to like full sun even in my milder climate.

I planted a grafted Peluche tree I got from Flying Fox in a full sun spot and the young leaves that have not fully hardened off get wilted looking mid-day.  I let a fig growing next to it get large enough to provide some shade and it's growing much better.  The Peluche branch grafted on my mature Big Jim is the same, it's the only variety that seems sensitive.  Once the leaves harden off, they seem okay.

I wonder if a variety that does really well in Florida is adapted to more humidity.  Do you have a partly shaded spot to plant the Honeyquat?  I hope you have better luck with it than the Peluche.

Janet

Thanks Janet. I haven't posted any real info on it but I purchased a High Sidewall greenhouse kit from Growersolution. I haven't installed electricity to get the ventilation going and I had a few mishaps with misters and construction so the greenhouse became an Oven in July. Moving forward (fingers crossed) too much heat shouldnt be a concern.

Rhythm

• Orlando, FL, USA - 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 27, 2024, 08:01:16 PM »
Any of you who bought the "HoneyQuat" from Lara Farms getting fruit yet? Curious how they live up to the description.