Author Topic: Avocado tree not doing well  (Read 660 times)

TylerTheTrout

• Bonita Springs, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Avocado tree not doing well
« on: May 27, 2022, 09:22:52 AM »
Hey guys!

So our Oro Negro tree, about 2.5 years old in the ground had a strange year here in SWFL. It's always been a really hearty tree showing zero signs of stress until this spring. It flowered so hard it dropped all of its leaves and set a bunch of tiny fruit (grafted tree). However, it didnt hold onto any fruit and has now dropped all flowers and is struggling to regrow leaves it seems like. Lower branches are starting to die off and some of the branches that do have small regrowth have tip burn. The very top is doing fine but the leaves are small, it looks unwell. Its in a well draining location in my yard, has always been a very happy tree. There is mulch around the tree. We had a rough year with a very dry and warm spring, i tried to keep up with watering (well water) but wasnt always very consistent. Anywho our summer rains have been starting to show up so we've been getting some pretty good rain but now have been 2 days without it. What can i do to try and help this tree recover? Thanks in advance!

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Re: Avocado tree not doing well
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2022, 10:17:30 AM »
I also had a young Oro Negro tree that mysteriously went into decline several years ago.  I removed it.
John

TylerTheTrout

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2022, 10:21:26 AM »
Yea roger that, i know our rainfall this year is wonky...doing some research it sounds like getting some more nitrogen to the roots and possibly some zinc foliar spray? 

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2022, 03:26:51 PM »
The flowering and then dropping leaves is normal.  BUT, if the leaves already have too much salt buildup, thry tend to fall off harder and end up doing more damage that if the salt level is low.  When the salt level in the plant is low, the leaf drop happens slower and more gradual and the tree can easily reflush while its shedding the old stuff. 

Thats not necessarily your issue but thats one reason trees dump their leaves really hard in spring is the leaves are salt burnt.  Usually from city water, underwatering, lack of rain, and or chemical fertilizer use. 

If the issue was too much salt based fertilizer, try giving it a year off and just use mulch and maybe some composts and next spring the leaf drop will improve. 
Brad Spaugh

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2022, 06:27:21 PM »
I'd like to see a photo of the tree. Just remember that avocado want to grow fast. What seemed like a good amount of mulch when the tree was a year old isn't enough when it gets older like it would be for Mango, etc, it needs to continually expand as the tree gets bigger. I am in your zone up on Pine Island. This was a very dry winter/spring. My own avocados did not do well and never set any fruit, maybe becoming biannual. Pay attention to the mulch diameter, it really needs to stay far outside the drip line if your tree is young, and especially if your tree is open grown on a grass lawn, that means it is already out of preferred habitat.
Have a look at the recommendations for mulch, maintaining six inches deep because the feeder roots are shallow and superficial.
Bonita is known as a high water area, you are in a river drainage area. Your tree may not be able to sustain any deep roots because of water table issues.
Mulching avocados:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYYZuNjnvbk&t

TylerTheTrout

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2022, 02:28:29 PM »
Thanks for the input!!

After some reading and research I believe its suffering from some salt build up...during the driest periods I was watering with well water...which to my taste buds didn't taste salty but that obviously doesn't mean much.
As far as mulch, Ive been expanding the mulched area as the tree has grown and it sure has grown fast for being in the ground 2 years, again...its been nothing but a happy tree this whole time. Ill try to get a photo up here when i'm able to.
I gave it a couple cans of fish emulsion/water and rake the mulch away from the base just a bit to help maybe get some air flow in there. We got a nice rain very early this morning and i noticed yesterday the soil under the mulch is cool and moist.
I live on a gulf access creek in the mangrove fringes of Estero Bay, all surrounding fruit trees seem to be doing pretty good despite the really dry and warm spring. The mangos all had tip burn pretty  good towards the end of April i noticed but again...just dry and breezy!
The tree is shaped like a christmas tree, long branches down low and shorter towards the top, the lower branches are dieing off towards the tips..the middle branches are putting out new leaves but they are burnt. Lots a tiny buds on bare branch tips. the very top 'crown' is doing fine, new leaves look healthy and are growing...
I hope some rain and some attention will help it rebound.. again, this thing flowered like CRAZY!!!
« Last Edit: May 28, 2022, 02:31:10 PM by TylerTheTrout »

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2022, 09:24:25 PM »
The fish emulsions can have salt in them as well.  Try just using only mulch until the tree recovers. 
Brad Spaugh

TylerTheTrout

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2022, 12:01:20 PM »
Good point..!!
I'll let it rebound on it's own here and keep an eye on it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk