Author Topic: Sweet uvaia for reservations  (Read 2575 times)

Giant Gecko

• USA,NC,Welcome,7
    • View Profile
Re: Sweet uvaia for reservations
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2023, 01:06:27 PM »
Maybe we're over thinking this....
I have all my Eugenias growing in a locally produced compost/sand potting mix available at Home Depot.
I water them frequently with municipal hose water and give them Miracle Grow at regular strength every so often.
Full sun or lightly filtered sun in my cool greenhouse.
No issues.

Kevin

What is your tap water calcium hardness? If I don’t over think something I under think it, no happy medium.🤔🧐🤦‍♂️😆

lala

• Russia
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2023, 01:25:53 PM »
I have another plant that is feeling very depressed. Perhaps the soil is also not suitable (acidic 3-4 pH + perlite) Eugēnia stipitāta. Please tell me.

I’ve never grown that species but from the people that have that I know of said they are a pain to grow. The brown leaf tips are typically due to not enough water to the roots or dry air. What is the average humidity % and how often do you water? Also what is the day and night temperatures. Too much fertilizer or calcium can cause brown tips but I would check the moisture levels first.

I water it every other day as it dries out. but the clod of earth does not dry out. I thought I was watering too much. But the room is quite hot. I don't know the humidity.

lala

• Russia
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2023, 01:27:51 PM »
I have all my Eugenias growing in a locally produced compost/sand potting mix available at Home Depot.
I water them frequently with municipal hose water and give them Miracle Grow at regular strength every so often.
No issues.

Kevin
The rest of the Eugenias are doing well. Only these two are sick. I, too, am inclined to believe that you need to relax and whoever survives will surviv

lala

• Russia
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2023, 02:58:03 AM »
No issues.

Kevin

What is your tap water calcium hardness? If I don’t over think something I under think it, no happy medium.🤔🧐🤦‍♂️😆

I use rainwater. mostly. I may have watered it several times with tap water. It really does have a lot of calcium.

Of course, if it is possible to save the plant, I would like to save it
« Last Edit: December 13, 2023, 04:34:23 AM by lala »

Giant Gecko

• USA,NC,Welcome,7
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2023, 08:18:40 AM »
No issues.

Kevin

I use rainwater. mostly. I may have watered it several times with tap water. It really does have a lot of calcium.

Of course, if it is possible to save the plant, I would like to save it

Your plants don’t look that bad. It’s very common to get brown tips and brown spots on the leaves during Winter. They will look better in the Spring season. If possible give the E. stipitata 100% rainwater and see how it reacts.

lala

• Russia
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2023, 09:56:44 AM »
Thank you. I will do so.

huertasurbanas

• Junín, Argentina, zone 9b/9a
    • View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2023, 11:32:23 AM »
Hi there, I've had some trouble growing this species, any tips on growing this. I'm thinking I overwater, but any insights into it's native conditions may help.

Hello! It sounds like you're experiencing some difficulties with growing that particular species. I can certainly provide you with some tips to help you out. Firstly, make sure to water the plant with chlorine-free water. Additionally, it's important to have patience because this species tends to grow slowly. Creating a slightly acidic soil similar to what jaboticabas prefer can also be beneficial.

To protect the plant from the intense summer sun, consider keeping it in partial shade or complete shade during the warmer month, at least when it is under 50cm tall or so. This will help prevent sunburn or heat stress. Remember to monitor the moisture levels of the soil and avoid overwatering, as you mentioned. Proper drainage is key. You can use chelated iron too.

Can you clarify about the land for jaboticaba? Because the seller told me acidic soil with 3-4 pH. All my eugenias, jaboticabas, psidiums in acidic soil.

Just to clarify, I never recommend 3-4 pH, just 6 or 6.5, cheers

lala

• Russia
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2023, 03:48:13 PM »
Hi there, I've had some trouble growing this species, any tips on growing this. I'm thinking I overwater, but any insights into it's native conditions may help.

Hello! It sounds like you're experiencing some difficulties with growing that particular species. I can certainly provide you with some tips to help you out. Firstly, make sure to water the plant with chlorine-free water. Additionally, it's important to have patience because this species tends to grow slowly. Creating a slightly acidic soil similar to what jaboticabas prefer can also be beneficial.

To protect the plant from the intense summer sun, consider keeping it in partial shade or complete shade during the warmer month, at least when it is under 50cm tall or so. This will help prevent sunburn or heat stress. Remember to monitor the moisture levels of the soil and avoid overwatering, as you mentioned. Proper drainage is key. You can use chelated iron too.

Can you clarify about the land for jaboticaba? Because the seller told me acidic soil with 3-4 pH. All my eugenias, jaboticabas, psidiums in acidic soil.

Just to clarify, I never recommend 3-4 pH, just 6 or 6.5, cheers

I meant the seller who sold me jaboticabas in Russia. Thanks for the advice. I'll try to make the jaboticaba soil less acidic

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2023, 03:42:55 AM »
I have found that they thrive on neglect. I suspect the good sweet ones are either a cross with E.lutescens or have it in their family tree. The crosses are phenotypically close to pyriformis but a bit smaller.

huertasurbanas

• View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2023, 11:32:08 PM »
I have found that they thrive on neglect. I suspect the good sweet ones are either a cross with E.lutescens or have it in their family tree. The crosses are phenotypically close to pyriformis but a bit smaller.

Good data, thanks! I have seeds of this sweet cultivar, cheers

huertasurbanas

• View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2024, 06:45:01 PM »
We will send to the USA in a few days, you can do a pre-order now, cheers