Author Topic: Mango hedge plan, the varieties I've selected  (Read 481 times)

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
  • FL Gulf Coast Fruit Lover Spam Fighter
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
Mango hedge plan, the varieties I've selected
« on: June 13, 2022, 12:54:07 PM »
I still need to knock one or two varieties off the list to get down to 4, 5 tops, but I think I've targeted the varieties I'll chose from. My criteria was dwarf to low vigor, (moderately) dense canopy vs open/spreading, with at least some resistance to diseases. I'm planning to plant the trees ~12 feet apart along a line between my house and my neighbor. I also want to try and cover the season as best possible.

EARLY
Dwarf Hawaiian

EARLY/MID
Angie
Pickering

MID/LATE
Cotton Candy
Cecilove

LATE
Honey Kiss

I have other trees planned in the yard. I'll have some combination of Orange Sherbet, Sugarloaf, Lemon Zest, Sweet Tart, etc., but I want this hedge to be manageable, fairly reliable varieties.
I'm still open to any suggestions, there were several varieties I strongly considered but couldn't nail down their growth habit or ripening time.

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Mango hedge plan, the varieties I've selected
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2022, 02:37:53 PM »
Will it bother you if the trees don't grow uniform? I gave an Angie to
my neighbor and in 3 years it is as big as my pickering which is 6-7 years old?
Even if you planted the same 5 mangos they wouldn't grow equally.

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
  • FL Gulf Coast Fruit Lover Spam Fighter
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
Re: Mango hedge plan, the varieties I've selected
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2022, 03:19:55 PM »
Not really, I prune accordingly. I don't have a bunch of trees, so when I prune I put a lot of thought into it. I have some very slow varieties grafted in with some very vigorous on the same tree for a few years now and I've been making it work. Deciding to prune just above the node or somewhere along the internode (based on where the leaves are located and the new growth will spring from) has been helpful in keeping sun on the slower varieties. It's my feeling that, no matter how slow the variety is, if you keep sun shining on it for most the day it'll keep growing.

The row will be North to South, I plan to put the more vigorous varieties on the north-side. If I decide one isn't working, I'll just graft something else in on it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk