Author Topic: Hand Pollination - passiflora decaisneana  (Read 5335 times)

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
Hand Pollination - passiflora decaisneana
« on: June 16, 2022, 01:35:18 PM »
I have a question for those of you who are experienced with hand pollinating passion fruits.

I grafted this passiflora decaisneana last year (10-9-21) and it has it's first flower of the year, can anyone tell me if I can pollinate the flower using the pollen from the same flower or should I use pollen from another variety?

« Last Edit: June 16, 2022, 03:33:55 PM by sc4001992 »

vall

• Treasure Coast
    • View Profile
Re: Hand Pollination - passiflora decaisneana
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2022, 02:40:26 PM »
It's supposed to be self fertile, but that was not my experience. It may just not be precocious. I was repeatedly unsuccessful using pollen from itself and edulis. If you have quadrangularis or alata I would try that.

What did you graft onto? I grafted decaisneana onto alata, the graft healed well but the entire branch died back past the graft.
- Val

vnomonee

• Zone 7a northeastern NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2022, 03:00:03 PM »
passion flowers are only receptive during certain times of the day /stages. some flowers are functionally male (the receptive part is pointing upward where a bee wouldn't brush against it for example) so even if you pollinate it there will not be fertilization. there was a graphic I saved that illustrates this better than i can possible explain it lol:

a member from of different forum posted this useful information:

« Last Edit: June 16, 2022, 03:41:10 PM by vnomonee »

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2022, 03:19:06 PM »
Are they saying, based on diagram, that only flowers A and B can receive pollen, and all flowers A - D can provide pollen?

P. decaisneana has yet to flower for me, but I find passion vines take a while, often a couple of years, before setting and holding fruit. Used to think p. laurifolia needed another pollinator, but pretty sure it just needed time.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2022, 03:24:18 PM »
vnomonee, that is very informative, thanks. My flower was at stage C in the diagram, the anthers and stigmas were facing each other and about to touch. I gave it some pollen from my other common purple passionfruit which has lots of flowers now.

I have another flower that will be opening this week so let me know if you are suppose to hand pollinate the flower when it is at stage C.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2022, 03:35:55 PM by sc4001992 »

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2022, 03:26:23 PM »
How many days will it take before I know if it will hold fruit?

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2022, 03:28:09 PM »
I grafted the P. decaisneana on my common purple vine. I grafted 3 scions and only one actually made it, the others started to bud out then died back so I cut off my branch below the graft point.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2022, 03:31:35 PM »
This year, I'm planning to graft the P. decaisneana on my Passiflora incarnata (from Kevin Jones) since it grows like a weed. I have some vines that are 1/2" diameter now, it is also very easy to grow the P. incarnata from cutting.

vnomonee

• Zone 7a northeastern NJ
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: June 16, 2022, 03:40:15 PM by vnomonee »

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2022, 04:09:06 PM »
vnomonee, thanks for the additional details. Now I know to look at the flower for the next few days and see if it got fertilized and will hold fruit.

mbmango

• LAX, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2022, 04:26:20 PM »
My vine flowered late last year but I did not try hand pollination on it since I didn't think the fruit would finish before winter anyways, but nothing even set.  Trying manually with edulis pollen this year.  Was planning to use quadrangularis for pollination, but the vines didn't make it through the winter after planting them in the ground last year.  For yellow edulis, which requires manual, stage C is pretty guaranteed. Trying a little dab in the morning and the evening, just in case.  First flower was just a few days ago, so we'll see if the flowers start dropping or not pretty soon.  Going to have to look for new quad cuttings this year.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2022, 03:23:29 AM »
My P. decaisneana had many flowers this year, now. I didn't notice until today that most of the flowers already opened and closed up. When I was cutting back my purple passion fruit vine, I noticed the P. decaisneana vine was growing well and had lots of flowers. I will post a few photos of the flowers; can someone tell me if it looks like any of these flowers were pollinated.

« Last Edit: October 13, 2022, 04:23:01 AM by sc4001992 »

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2022, 05:27:41 AM »
I had a tread about the same subject, first and id of the plant that i had, which here people said is decaisneana, then about pollination.
My vine got huje this year, had quite a few blooms which i self pollinated at first but seeing that nothing ever sets i just quit to mess with them. In my tread people said that it can be pollinated with caerullea pollen, couldn't try that as my caeruleas were heavily neglected so didnt had blooms at the time.
The plant didnt set anything ,second year its blooming heavily for me in the gh. There was one flower that kinda had a more swollen ovary but also didnt set. It awlays blooms in september, just when we start getting cooler temps over-all. I really dont know if this is the reson it doesnt set, or its just not self compatible, or just needs time.....

The flowers u show are really just too fresh after the bloom to be judged for pollination. With edulis the ovaries start getting bigger right after pollination, dunno the growth pattern on decaisneana fruit set as mine never had any. I can tell u that after 2-3 days whats not pollinated will start getting yellower and start to wrinckle a bit. When the actual flower parts start to dessicate, thats the time u can judje if its pollinated, if the ovary stais green and gains some size, its succesful, again judjing by my purple edulis.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2022, 05:37:06 AM by Plantinyum »

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2023, 03:55:58 PM »
Update on my p. decaisneana vine. I have many flowers again this year but no fruits yet.

It's been a little over 2yrs, the vine is strong, growing well. Has anyone else grown this variety and have fruits yet? How many years did it take for your fruits to hold and get ripe fruits?

I tried hand pollinating with 2 different varieties, but it still has not had a fruit on any flowers.

JCorte

• Laguna Beach and Fallbrook, CA, zone 10b/10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2023, 04:23:35 PM »
Hi Kaz, I got 3 fruits last year, plant was less than a year old started from a cutting I got from member Hoang.

It’s growing next to Purple Possum, but I don’t think it pollinated the Decaisneana.  The fruits were only partially filled, but really tasty.  Sweeter than edulis with more tropical pineapple flavor.  I’m looking forward to getting more fruits.

I bought a Quadrangularis to grow with it for pollination.  Hoang was growing his near PQML, which was his selection of a cross between Quadrangularis and Decaisneana.

He also told me for good fruit set to apply steer manure in the spring, so maybe it needs a lot more food.

Here is a picture of my largest fruit of the three from last year.

Janet
« Last Edit: February 15, 2023, 04:25:58 PM by JCorte »

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2023, 04:27:24 PM »
 I recently bought a rooted pasiflora alata cutting. That species is said to be able to pollinate decaisneana and quadrangularis, if i am not mistaken ,decaisneana is a hybrid between alata and quadrangularis, no ?
Anyway this year my decaisneana will start the new season with so much plant mass, the biggest it has ever been, i expect it to bloom again in fall as it did in the last 2 years, i will do my best to get the alata to grow as big as possible and hopefully i can cross them both and i'll pray they bloom at the same time lol. Alata is also said to have a nice fruit.

RB

• Santa Clara, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2023, 04:32:21 PM »
Mine also fruited a little over a year from a rooted cutting.  I got lots of flowers and was able to get 8 to set fruit.   I hand pollinated with own pollen around noon time.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2023, 04:39:42 PM »
Manured and ready to go! This is going to be the year =)

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2023, 06:21:14 PM »
Janet, I also got my cuttings from him. He was also generous and send me fruits to eat, they were good. Your fruit is nice and large, that is how the fruits I ate looked.

I tried rooting the cuttings, but it didn't work, but one graft did take and now it is a large vine.
Maybe I might try getting a PQML and planting next to this one. I don't think he is on this forum much so hard to get a hold of him.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2023, 06:38:48 PM by sc4001992 »

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2023, 06:33:32 PM »
RB, wow, nice. Ok, I will add some manure and hand pollinate during lunch time.

Plantinyum, yes, it's a cross of quad x alata. I may need to find some p. alata cuttings this year.

My other passiflora vine (unknown) which has similar leaves and flower is so huge it took over my large pomelo tree. Since it also had flowers a few month ago and no fruits on it, I will be cutting it down to bare bones since the trunk is a nice size (1-1/2" diameter).

If anyone would like a few cuttings of either, send me a PM since I will be cutting it this week. You will need to pay for shipping cost ($12).
« Last Edit: February 15, 2023, 06:38:09 PM by sc4001992 »

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2023, 06:54:00 PM »
Here's my other large vine that I'm cutting down this week. In the photos I show it as Lilikoi but it is not, it's unknown.

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2023, 02:03:43 PM »
sc4001992, could your unknown vine be the actual quadrangularis? Ive read that its flowers are pale colored like that, alata having the most striking colour and decaisneana being in the middle.
So i need to fertilize it with manure, what kind of manure would give the best results?

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2023, 02:30:56 PM »
Plantinyum, I don't know, but it could be, others have mentioned it as well. I could not use the pollen from this one to pollinate the other vine since their flowering times are different. This one seems to flower a month or two sooner. Right now, I still have flowers blooming on my Passiflora decaisneana.

For fertliziing the plant, I think any manure from the nursery should work. Hoang who is the person who gave me the Passiflora decaisneana and also created the Passiflora Quadrangularis ML (PQML) said to me, just use manure for getting fruits. He also said this vine is quadrangularis.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2023, 02:34:08 PM by sc4001992 »

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2023, 04:24:52 PM »
Plantinyum, I don't know, but it could be, others have mentioned it as well. I could not use the pollen from this one to pollinate the other vine since their flowering times are different. This one seems to flower a month or two sooner. Right now, I still have flowers blooming on my Passiflora decaisneana.

For fertliziing the plant, I think any manure from the nursery should work. Hoang who is the person who gave me the Passiflora decaisneana and also created the Passiflora Quadrangularis ML (PQML) said to me, just use manure for getting fruits. He also said this vine is quadrangularis.

nice ,thanks! I am thinking of making manure tea and  watering it in for a faster uptake and availability to the plant. I will also add some flora nova bloom in the mix since i have it . I kinda doubt that i will be able to force it to bloom in the spring, naturally in blooms in september- decaisneana.

palingkecil

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2023, 02:31:12 PM »

Hi Kaz,

How is the productivity of your P.Decaisneana? Are you able to get any fruit without hand pollination?

It will decide the fate of my P.Decaisneana vine. It grows like a beast, the flowers are stunning and actually smell wonderful. But I only got 1 fruit in 3 years! The fruit was delicious with a hint of lychee flavor, but it was only 1/3 flesh of the rather big shell. It grows next to my Purple possum that produces 50-100 lbs of fruit every year without any care (except pruning once a year).
At this point I am considering digging the Decaisneana out because it is too high maintenance with constant pruning every week. If I also have to hand pollinate it to get fruit, this vine will have to go.
Do I still need to hand pollinate it if I fertilize it with manure? I believe I read that another member in this forum who grows P.Decaisneana and her/his vine produces without hand pollination.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2023, 02:33:42 PM by palingkecil »