Author Topic: Recommendations for filling some spots in my backyard  (Read 830 times)

eez0

• Canary Islands. 11b
    • View Profile
Recommendations for filling some spots in my backyard
« on: June 18, 2022, 03:02:23 PM »
These are my average temperatures:

And this is a sketch of my backyard:

I already have:
  • Avocados Hass, Fuerte, Reed
  • Papaya Honey
  • Mango Lippens
  • Orange Lane Late
  • Mandarin Clemenule
  • Lilly Pilly
  • Nectarine Sunwrigth
  • Plums Golden Japan and Black Amber

I have room for other three trees, marked with ?. Probably bottom right will be for a dragon fruit.

Any ideas for the other two in the left side? The one next to the mango has to be evergreen, the one at the bottom left can be deciduous like the nectarine and the plums.

A classic choice for the evergreen would be a lemon, but I'm looking for other choices.

Recommendations?

fruit nerd

• Australia, FNQ, 13a
    • View Profile
Re: Recommendations for filling some spots in my backyard
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2022, 07:56:18 PM »
So many choices but my picks would be jackfruit, lychee, longan, yellow sapote, abiu or some Annona.

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2022, 10:09:39 PM »
Jaboticaba! Maybe in the bottom right where there is less space? Looks like you could grow ultra tropical where you live? Mangosteen? Rambutan or pulasan?

RS

• Central FL, 9b/10a microclimate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2022, 01:23:29 PM »
You could also consider starfruit, white sapote, or sapodilla for evergreen spot, or pomelo if you want another citrus option (my favorite). I was going to include loquat, but don't know if they can do zone 11/12.

I'd go with a persimmon and fig for deciduous (there are very small fruiting figs anymore, e.g. fignomenal fig), mulberry, or pomegranate depending on your climate.

And jaboticaba, sugar apple and/or banana could be options for bottom right smaller space.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2022, 01:26:35 PM by RS »

eez0

• Canary Islands. 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2022, 12:26:50 PM »
so, after some busy time, I'm returning to this.

I made some changes :)

First, the evergreen spot got a lemon and a lime tree planted close together. Yeah, I know I said I tried to avoid the "classic choice", but couldn't pass on it xD

As the lilly pillies can thrive with some shade, I'm going to dig them out and plant them in pots which will be placed on the pavement, where there are less hours of direct sunlight.

This opens up a new spot for two trees on the right side which can get plenty of sun from Spring through late Fall. Actually, I'm not sure about Winter. I'm pretty sure that the soil is in full shade, but  don't remember whether something about 2-3m tall would get sun or not.

So, now I have half of the right side available , and still the bottom left. Actually, between the bottom left and the path, I was thinking on planting a kumquat.

Trees on the right side would have a rather elliptic shape. They are not following a espalier shape but can't get too width from the wall either (about 1 meter). Meanwhile, the tree in the bottom left has more room for a rounded shape.

I don't really have chill hours here, so persimmons and pomegranates are discarded. In theory, they should bear fruit because they are ones of the trees that require lesser chill hours, but I'm not going to risk it. I'm already gambling with the nectarine and the plums because other people have them nearby (in fact, I bought the nectarine with fruit on it already, and the nursery is even in a warmer location).

Banana is the main fruit here. Plenty of access, cheap, and I would avoid the pain in the ass that it cutting the sprouts, the mother when the fruit is harvested, etc.

I don't like starfruit due to its relationship to kidney diseases.

There are a lot of loquats around here as well, so I'm looking for something not that common.

With these requirements in mind, here's a list of trees I have access to in a local nursery:
- Lychee
- Canistel (yellow sapote)
- Different varieties of guavas.
- Feijoa.
- White or black zapote.

I do have access to chirimoya, atemoya, red atemoya and other similar fruits, but I read that hand pollination is mandatory. Not going to lie, an "egg dragon" red atemoya would look awesome xD

Out of those trees in my list, I think the black zapote would be a bad choice for the same reason I'm discarding the persimmon: no chill hours.

I think the idea would be to have the different guavas and feijoa on the right side except for the space near the mandarin (let's say, the space occupied by two lilly pillies in the sketch above), forget about the white and black zapotes, and then I have my biggest doubt right now... Lychee bottom left and canistel right or viceversa? Below, features of each spot.

Bottom left:
- More room to grow in a rounded shape.
- Probably more sun during winter.
- Rest of the year gets morning through afternoon sun.
- Probably more shallow soil compared to the right spot.
- Limited height. Maybe 2-3 meters tall.

Right side:
- Sun from near afternoon to sunset, at least during Spring, Summer and maybe Fall.
- Unlimited height. In fact, the more the better, as that right wall faces the street.
- Elliptic shape.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2022, 03:49:25 PM by eez0 »

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2022, 09:28:57 PM »
Are the two palms in the front coconut palms?  I would recommend coconuts they are essential for health.

eez0

• Canary Islands. 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2022, 01:36:42 AM »
Are the two palms in the front coconut palms?  I would recommend coconuts they are essential for health.
naah, they are not really palms, just a random image from the designing tool I used.

Initially, my idea was to plant two plants there like strezias, alocasias or similar. But now, I have changed my mind, and the left one will be kumquat.

digigarden

• Maurice or digigarden
    • Dominican Republic,Santo Domingo- Miami.FL addr
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2022, 06:52:28 AM »
triumph persimmon and most pomegranates would fruit there for sure...they even fruit where i live sometimes...

in terms of taste:
cherimoya
biriba
litchi
canistel or mamey sapote...i like those too.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk