Author Topic: New mulberry variety and red fleshed tamarind trees  (Read 1608 times)

JCorte

• Laguna Beach and Fallbrook, CA, zone 10b/10a
    • View Profile
New mulberry variety and red fleshed tamarind trees
« on: June 24, 2022, 10:57:10 AM »
I recently saw a new variety of mulberry being offered on figbid.
https://www.figbid.com/Listing/Details/33959042/Australian-Turkey-Mulberry-Cutting

The seller got the variety from Amanda, who brought a cutting from Thailand and first introduced it in the US.  I contacted Amanda directly and she also has seedlings of a red fleshed sour tamarind.

I’m not sure if this is the same but found this article and image about red fleshed tamarind.
https://www.thehindu.com/news/national/andhra-pradesh/high-yielding-variety-of-tamarind-identified/article19281119.ece

Seedlings of the tamarind are available at Amanda’s eBay store and she told me she will have rooted cuttings of the mulberry available soon, last batch she sold for $35.
https://m.facebook.com/100100495386684/photos/a.100106138719453/361102919286439/?type=3&source=48&__tn__=EH-R

I do not know this person but bought plants from her because I am excited to try these trees and just wanted to share if anyone else is interested.  I have been corresponding with Amanda through email and she seems very nice and a passionate gardener.

Janet
« Last Edit: June 24, 2022, 11:08:05 AM by JCorte »

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
Re: New mulberry variety and red fleshed tamarind trees
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2022, 12:59:31 PM »
What's the flavor report on this mulberry?

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2022, 01:04:46 PM »
I once received mulberry cuttings from Thailand that I rooted.
turns out its exactly the same as the Thai dwarf being offered already.
I have a friend that has the Thai dwarf, World's Best and the Chiang Mai 60
and swears they are all the same? I currently have all three of those types as well
but the world's best and Chiang Mai 60 are still small and I can't compare.

just.jim

• Thousand Oaks
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2022, 03:10:44 PM »
MimosaLA.com has pretty large pink ambrosia tamarind trees.  I got mine for $180 and it is about 6 feet tall with fruit and flowers on it now.  Just passing it along

Flgarden

• Oviedo FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2022, 04:29:41 PM »
I got those mulberries from her. They are largest i have seen. Taste is sweet and tart.
Ana

Rispa

• Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2022, 05:07:49 PM »
If you want a neat unnamed mulberry I luge is a white one that a bird planted right next to a neighbor's house. She's planning to cut it down, but I happened to go by right after she trimmed it up. The cuttings are rooting nicely and I will have too many. I figure at the end of July I'll pull them out and put them in their own pots.

JCorte

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2022, 05:22:52 PM »
I have not tasted these, it is my understanding they are not the same as Thai Dwarf and World’s Best, I have both of those trees.  Recently named Siam Jumbo (called Australian Turkey on figbid) has a spring crop said to be similar to World’s best, but it is the fall crop that makes huge fruit.  Amanda says the fruits are not “hairy” but smooth and really sweet. On the figbid link above there are more pics of the fall fruit which look as long as Paskistan but fruit is a lot fatter, with some irregular shape.  I would guess that seller FruitTreeAddict will start to make cuttings available when her trees are bigger.

Just.jim, I do not think the pink ambrosia tamarind tree is the same, that looks like Guamuchil, Pithecellobium dulce, also called Manila tamarind.  Tamarindus indica is a different tree.

To clarify, i know that some sellers on eBay do not sell authentic varieties of what they claim, we all purchase seeds/plants at our own risk.  I have purchased several mislabeled plants.  I am choosing to take the risk for the possibility of acquiring this rare red tamarind seedling and hope it will grow true.  I love sweet tamarind and also like sour fruits for cooking.  I would guess the red pigmentation would add extra antioxidants to the health benefits.

I’m not trying to sell these trees to anyone, but I’m alway on the lookout for new fruit and healing plants, so just sharing with this community if I ever discover anything that looks good.

Janet

hammer524

• USA, Arizona, Phoenix, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2022, 06:19:28 PM »
I bought a white variety of of Figbid called "House of the Virgin Mary". The seller informed me that the variety is from a nearby tree next to the famous shrine.

it was grafted earlier in the year and I knocked off the fruits to help the graft but I'll come back with a taste report  + photos.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2022, 08:35:51 AM »
Beware of just a few fruits being shown. It is easy to go through a tree full of fruit and pick out the largest ones.

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2022, 01:45:55 PM »
Hey Janet

I did notice you said Amanda obtained the cutting from Thailand but
they are calling it Australian on the auction? In the video she says it
came from middle east. How did Australian get in the description?

I am still interested in obtaining that Mulberry when you get it
« Last Edit: June 25, 2022, 01:53:42 PM by achetadomestica »

Flgarden

• Oviedo FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2022, 01:53:09 PM »
When i bought cuttings from Amanda, she still called them australian turkey. Later she renamed them to siam.
Ana
Ana

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2022, 03:10:50 PM »
Mike, $40 a cutting.

JCorte

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2022, 03:57:17 PM »
Achetadomestica, I think the seller on figbid added "Australian" to the name through translation error.  Amanda says the person who originally took it to Thailand said it was from Turkey, and called it "Aus Turkey", maybe aus means from? 

I bought a cutting from the seller on figbid because Amanda's was sold out, but since then Amanda has emailed me and said she was going to send me a cutting from her tree.  I grafted it to my Lavender mulberry tree so hope it may fruit by this fall.  If they are as good and big as they say, I'll share scions.  I'm going to call this variety the name Amanda chose, Siam Jumbo.

Janet