Author Topic: How and when to determine if you have become a mango snob?  (Read 846 times)

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
On another thread discussing Pickering. I realized that I may be a mango snob. Then I became curious if there was a test or quiz to determine such a snobby attitude. I think if there was such a questionnaire one of the indicators of snobbishness would be what you give away and share. Right away I started to make a list of what I give to my mother-in-law. Maybe another indicator or question would be if someone ask you if you have any of your favorite variety. You suddenly get amnesia never heard of it. I'm curious if anyone else knows of an indicator or proper question for such a quiz or test

I've never heard of that
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
Re: How and when to determine if you have become a mango snob?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2022, 12:43:14 PM »
I was accused of such yesterday, while giving away an LZ seedling to a family member and explaining that Valencia Pride (which they want more) is nowhere near as good as LZ.

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2022, 12:46:33 PM »
Unless they taste a good mango, they will think you are acting like a fool. But once they eat a good one, there is no turning back!

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2022, 01:10:40 PM »
Have you ever hidden mangoes from your significant other and your family for fear they will have a Mango Fest while you're gone. I have some in my toolbox in my workshop.
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2022, 05:06:18 PM »
You know Dr. Richard Campbell isn't a snob if he says his favorite mango is Edward.
John

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2022, 06:03:03 PM »
That is simple, when you turn your nose at a Tommy Atkins, even a home grown one.

It is confirmed when you turn down or would never eat some other named variety.

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2022, 08:19:10 PM »
On another thread discussing Pickering. I realized that I may be a mango snob. Then I became curious if there was a test or quiz to determine such a snobby attitude. I think if there was such a questionnaire one of the indicators of snobbishness would be what you give away and share. Right away I started to make a list of what I give to my mother-in-law. Maybe another indicator or question would be if someone ask you if you have any of your favorite variety. You suddenly get amnesia never heard of it. I'm curious if anyone else knows of an indicator or proper question for such a quiz or test

I've never heard of that
Mango Snob: When your still new to tasting limited quantities of the new varieties.... Why? Initially these new tastes of lemon Pie with cream etc. etc. etc. are overwhelmingly good especially since you never had them before verses the traditional mangos.

Then comes a day when you have so many lemon meringue, lemon zest, Duncan, manilla,  lemon zest that you experience mango burnout for those tastes. I guess I could add orange essence, orange sherbert, venus, kathy, etc. to that grouping... And suddenly you can not tolerate eating another vs. something totally different like a fully overripe Valencia Pride that was recently identified as a mango not liked by mango snobs but suddenly desired by the person with over 100 trees and many mangos available.... At that point you know you have graduated from the mango snob and are now full circle and you are now more of a mango guru knowing that too much of any given variety is not good and thus you really don't have a favorite mango variety as too much of anything is bad and you must must must have a Variety of tastes....

The old saving Variety is the Spice of Life... I fully agree and no favorite variety really exists for me......

I can totally agree how any given day I could change "my favorite for the day/moment" from a new variety to a classic older variety, as it really varies daily with what I've been eating and how much and are my taste buds just overloaded with that newer variety taste .... if so ... I want a different variety and taste.... So my view is get all of the typical flavors so you can switch tastes and don't go too much of any variety in your yard vs. diversifying varieties planted that tastes different...
« Last Edit: July 05, 2022, 09:36:38 PM by palmcity »

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2022, 09:35:47 PM »
Well I cannot argue with anything that Palm City stated probably all true but it does make for fun discussion. If there are certain varieties that you have to create the proper ambience to indulge such as putting your favorite album on the victrola and dimming the lights. You might be a mango snob. I have a doily and saucer reserved for such varieties

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2022, 09:58:40 PM »
What I encounter more often is snobs that actually don't know anything about mangos. I remember taking a delicious green skin mango into work once. Some one else simultaneously brought a large pink skinned mango of inferior quality... Guess which one people turned their noses up at? That is right the green skined mango--which people never bothered to taste. Sigh!

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2022, 10:11:04 PM »
What I encounter more often is snobs that actually don't know anything about mangos. I remember taking a delicious green skin mango into work once. Some one else simultaneously brought a large pink skinned mango of inferior quality... Guess which one people turned their noses up at? That is right the green skined mango--which people never bothered to taste. Sigh!
Agree.
I like to say, "The prettiest are often not the sweetest" ... That goes for people, mangos, etc... lol

If you see an uglier mango for sell next to a bunch of pretty ones, It wouldn't be there if not good tasting as it sure isn't there for it's looks... lol