Author Topic: Plants that need shade protection?  (Read 597 times)

djseaquist

• United States, California, Escondido, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Plants that need shade protection?
« on: July 25, 2022, 01:51:45 AM »
What are some fruit trees that need protection from the harsh Southern California sun? I have some shady spots in my yard I want to plant in.

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
Re: Plants that need shade protection?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2022, 06:49:55 AM »
Here in BG we are not as warm as California i think, but for me coffee and carambolla do better in a shady condition.
Actually all mu tropicals in the gh are shaded with a shade net, dont know the shade percentage of it thought, looks to be something like 25 %. Cherimoya, guava, surinam cherry, dragonfruit and avocado along others doo quite well in there. Coffee is also there ,but i have added two layers of the dense shade cloth on it, since i added it it resumed growth and is doing way better, it stalled before i added the shade.
Our climates are too different so amma stop here and let others that are closer to u share their experiences.

agroventuresperu

• Peru, San Martin, Rioja, Zone 12, 950m elevation
    • View Profile
    • AgroVentures Peru
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2022, 08:23:37 PM »
What are some fruit trees that need protection from the harsh Southern California sun? I have some shady spots in my yard I want to plant in.

In my experience in Santa Barbara, they all need shade to grow well in that climate. At least give them shade for the first two years. Slowly prune holes in the canopy (or switch to a lighter shade cloth) gradually over time when you're expecting maturity from the fruit trees. I basically dry-farmed, so I never said to myself, "I wish I would've given these plants less shade." On the contrary, I don't think it would hurt a fruit tree to have it growing under the canopy of something big like Tipuana tipu or Albizzia julibrissin for ten years or more.

BayAreaMicroClimate

• Dublin, California 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2022, 01:29:36 PM »
From my experience Lychee and Yang mei

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk