Author Topic: Raspberry species that can grow in Florida  (Read 1475 times)

TropicalPioneers

• US
    • View Profile
Raspberry species that can grow in Florida
« on: August 01, 2022, 09:54:17 AM »
I’m looking for raspberry that grow in Florida.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Raspberry species that can grow in Florida
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2022, 10:21:51 AM »
For a perenial, Mysore Raspberry will be your best bet. Be warned that it does not have the charicteristic raspberry flavor and has huge thorns. If you want a more traditional red raspberry, buy a primocane variety (such as Joan J) in the fall from a mail order catalogue. It will grow over the Florida winter thinking that it is a northern summer. Primocane varieties work best for this because they fruit on new canes. So, it won't make a difference if the plant dies over the summer. I would also recommend growing the plants in pots. This limits issues with nematodes and soil borne diseases (presuming that you use sterile soil and makes it easier to adjust sun exposure to the season.

TropicalPioneers

• US
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2022, 10:57:10 AM »
Thank you and is it possible to create a hybrid of those species

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2022, 07:03:28 PM »
Thank you and is it possible to create a hybrid of those species

It might be possible. Rubus species vary quite a bit in compatibility and chromosome number. I had a hybrid between a Latham red raspberry and the Mysore that grew for several years and flowered. Unfortunately, the flowers produced no pollen and I was not able to get fruit or F2 seeds. Several generations of back crossing would likely be needed to get good levels of productivity.

TropicalPioneers

• US
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2022, 09:28:47 AM »
Thank you

pagnr

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2022, 02:25:45 AM »
Atherton Raspberry, native to Tropical Nth Qld, but also quite hardy elsewhere. Fruit is excellent.
https://zeroinputagriculture.wordpress.com/2019/10/04/plant-profile-atherton-raspberry/

Rubus parvifolius is another, native to Australia ana Japan, naturalised in USA. Fruit is a little small, but reasonably nice.

There are other Japanese wild species, not sure how tropical they are.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2022, 05:43:58 PM by pagnr »

Rispa

• Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2022, 06:54:47 PM »
I'm planning to experiment with mysore rasberry, ItSaul Dinner Rasberry, Caroline Reed, sweet repeat, and any on this site that say they are zoned for 9 https://www.berriesunlimited.com/

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2022, 09:34:46 PM »
Atherton Raspberry, native to Tropical Nth Qld, but also quite hardy elsewhere. Fruit is excellent.
https://zeroinputagriculture.wordpress.com/2019/10/04/plant-profile-atherton-raspberry/

Rubus parvifolius is another, native to Australia ana Japan, naturalised in USA. Fruit is a little small, but reasonably nice.

There are other Japanese wild species, not sure how tropical they are.

Those Atherton raspberries in the link look really neat. I have never seen them for sale here, but I have read that the specise was grown for a while in Puerto Rico.