Author Topic: Citrus defficiency, which one do i have ?  (Read 696 times)

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
Citrus defficiency, which one do i have ?
« on: August 22, 2022, 04:54:48 AM »
My citrus, the ugly duclings of my garden...
First i start with the lemons, they made a simbolic new growth at the start of spring, nothing afterwards,  they do have some fruitset that they are holding on to, but those also look yellowish far from healthy.

The mandarin, it looked worse than it does now, kinda greened up a little.

Red pomello, this one looked like shit when i received it from the nursery, it also greened up signifficantly and is making some new growth right now that does not look defficient atm.

Looking at the pics online i think i may have a manganeese, zink and possibly a nitrogen defficiency. I red about epaom salt helping with manganeese or magnesium defficiencies and generally helping plants stay greener and healthier, should i add some of it?

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Re: Citrus defficiency, which one do i have ?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2022, 10:33:08 AM »
The first 3 photos show an iron deficiency. The symptoms of an iron deficiency in citrus are leaves with dark green veins on otherwise a yellowish leaf.  The deficiency is caused by a lack of the mineral iron, or also the plant growing in a high pH medium.  Picture #4 shows a manganese deficiency.  Manganese deficiencies are rather common on newer growth, and the plant should correct the situation on it own. The last picture I am not sure what the problem is.  Did you recently spray the plant with something?

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2022, 11:22:35 AM »
The first 3 photos show an iron deficiency. The symptoms of an iron deficiency in citrus are leaves with dark green veins on otherwise a yellowish leaf.  The deficiency is caused by a lack of the mineral iron, or also the plant growing in a high pH medium.  Picture #4 shows a manganese deficiency.  Manganese deficiencies are rather common on newer growth, and the plant should correct the situation on it own. The last picture I am not sure what the problem is.  Did you recently spray the plant with something?
The last two pictures are of the same plant, a pomello. The first pic is of the newer growth, the second is of a much older growth. The plants also has tender new growth happening at this time , which looks ok by now.
I measured the ph of the soil in the gh that the plants are grown in and it showed a ph of around 5,50 to 6.  Millet, do you think besides iron i should also add some calcium carbonate to the plants , it will make the soil more alkaline, right?  I will mix some sprayable iron and dose them with this first, the soil on them preserves its moisture for a long time so i will be wattering them probably in a week from now.
Also, yes i sprayed with neem oil 3 days ago, but all of those spots and discolorations on the leaves were present before that...

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2022, 11:37:51 AM »
A pH of 5.5 is ideal for citrus.  I would not change it.

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2022, 12:11:35 PM »
A pH of 5.5 is ideal for citrus.  I would not change it.
Ok, thanks ,i will start dosing them with iron ,hopefully the recover their green colour....