Author Topic: Looking to buy Razzmatazz Grape Cuttings or Starter Plant  (Read 1163 times)

MasonG31

• Southern California Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Looking to buy Razzmatazz Grape Cuttings or Starter Plant
« on: June 13, 2022, 12:03:09 PM »
Hi.  I'm looking for Razzmatazz Grape cuttings or if you have a rooted vine, even better.  Please PM me if you have any available.  Thanks!

Francis_Eric

• 40 miles west of Chicago Aurora IL ZONE 5
    • View Profile
    • https://myspace.com/undisclosedforthetime/
Re: Looking to buy Razzmatazz Grape Cuttings or Starter Plant
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2022, 04:36:26 AM »
Just warning you Muscadine grapes are hard to start from cuttings
most people air layer

Maybe if someone has a grape they can air layer now.

Francis_Eric

• 40 miles west of Chicago Aurora IL ZONE 5
    • View Profile
    • https://myspace.com/undisclosedforthetime/
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2022, 04:39:08 AM »
for normal grapes I always used hardwood

so you know they say for muscadine soft wood is good (if you do try)

CarolinaZone

• USA,NC,7B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2022, 10:06:10 PM »
They don't produce well and I think OhMy might be a better cultivar along with every other Muscadine cultivar. Just my opinion.

W.

• United States, Alabama, 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2022, 01:52:04 PM »
Just warning you Muscadine grapes are hard to start from cuttings
most people air layer

Maybe if someone has a grape they can air layer now.

It is actually easy to root muscadine grapes from cuttings. You just have to have an industrial greenhouse, climate controlled to optimal conditions, and an irrigation system in place and set to provide the right amount of water at regular intervals. Like I said, easy. Anyone can do it. ;D

W.

• United States, Alabama, 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2022, 02:03:09 PM »
In all seriousness, I agree with Francis_Eric. It is quite difficult for a home grower to root muscadines and basically impossible without the right set up. You have to keep the soil moist but not waterlogged. The leaves have to have enough humidity in the air around them so that they do not transpire too much but not too much humidity that they get fungus or powdery mildew. I have tried on a couple of occasions to root muscadines. I simply ended up with dead sticks in potting soil after a couple of weeks. Unless you have the right set up for them, you will not have any success rooting muscadines. Besides, considering the effort required for a home grower to root muscadines, unless you want to propagate a unique vine unavailable from any source, than it is worth it just to buy the variety you want from a commercial nursery. I was trying to propagate a unique wild muscadine, but for most other growers, Ison's has thirty-plus varieties of muscadines and scuppernongs, which is plenty.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2022, 10:29:19 AM »
While hardwood cuttings don't work, and softwood cuttings require a mist bed, Muscadines are easily propagated by simple layering. Take a portion of the vine and bury it in damp sand. It will root naturally durring the growing season without any special set up or equipment. When the vine goes dormant, cut it off and pot or plant. I have done this on numerous occations with the only failures resulting from the soil being too dry. Actually, I have even seen wild muscadines in damp hammocks put out aerial roots. Maybe the wild vine you were trying to propagate was a different species of grape?

1rainman

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2022, 04:25:13 PM »
I wouldn't mind getting razzmatazz or dunstan's dream. Razzmatazz is only half muscadine. There is nothing special about the fruit. Its edible but not anything great. But it has solid disease resistance from the muscadine side and produces year round, with seedlessness. Would be interesting to try to cross it with some stuff due to it's toughness. Pure Muscadines are uninteresting to me. They are ok eating, but I'm just not a huge fan of them. Though muscadine hybrids with regular grapes seem interesting.

I saw they are asking like $45 for a razzmatazz grapevine online. I got the scoop from someone who has it the fruit isn't anything special but the vine does well in Florida.

I can't even root normal grape cuttings most of the time. So I would just bury a piece in dirt and root it.

Dunstan's Dream is much better it is supposed to have really good flavor though its slip skin and seeded. It has good disease resistance.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2022, 08:42:51 PM by 1rainman »