Author Topic: How to recognize clone from mother mango tree?  (Read 658 times)

fruitnoob

• Florida, Zone10a
    • View Profile
How to recognize clone from mother mango tree?
« on: August 29, 2022, 08:48:54 AM »
Good Monday morning,

I am trying to grow an Orange Sherbet from seed. It looks like I'll have 2 seedlings. One of them germinated very quickly (less than a week), and the other one just started to show up yesterday - it may be hard to see but it is below the bigger seedling and to the right of picture.
How do I know which one is a clone from the mother tree? Would the germination rate indicate whether it is a a clone or not?
Thanks.
P.S: I could have purchased a tree, but i don't have anymore real estate in my backyard and decided to try to grow this from seedling so maybe I can graft it to another tree down the road.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2022, 09:42:31 AM by fruitnoob »
Tom

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
Re: How to recognize clone from mother mango tree?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2022, 04:31:52 PM »
it's not 100%, but you can guess by crushing the leaves and comparing the sap smell to the dominant character of the fruit you sampled.

It won't be better than a guess however, except when trying to identify zygotic seedlings.

For instance, I planted a seed from a mango that tasted like parsnips, and two seedlings sprouted. One seedling had sap that also smelled like parsnips (very likely identical to the parent) and the other smelled like Valencia oranges (very likely zygotic).

Give it a try!

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2022, 06:18:50 PM »
My OS seedling has brown leaves, just like what I see in this picture, whereas grafted OS leaves don't ever show this color. Not saying it's not a clone, but seems peculiar. Yes, my crushed leaves have citrus fragrance.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2022, 11:16:55 PM by johnb51 »
John

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2022, 08:17:28 PM »
Was told this:

With poly seeds, the plant that stands out as most different is usually a cross, and the others tend to be clones of the mother.

If you have 3 or more plants from one seed, could try the crushed leaf test and see which one is most different from the others. That will likely be the cross.

fruitnoob

• Florida, Zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2022, 11:53:46 AM »
Thank you all for your insights.
Tom

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk