Author Topic: Propper tree for potted Citrus  (Read 819 times)

tybert83

• Zone 5b
    • View Profile
Propper tree for potted Citrus
« on: August 27, 2022, 06:01:49 PM »
Hello,

I am trying to grow potted Meyer Lemons and Eureka lemons in a greenhouse in winter, outside in the summer . Question is, Can I order seeds for these two and start them in containers as own rooted plants? Will the pots dwarf them or am I stuck buying grafted dwarf versions?

The main issue is, I would like about 50 trees and the grafted dwarfs would escalate costs. 

eez0

• Canary Islands. 11b
    • View Profile
Re: Propper tree for potted Citrus
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2022, 06:46:44 PM »
just buy a tree from a nursery and move it to the desired size pot.

I have eureka and lime both in the same pot, and doing fine.

As they grow, you have two choices, either you size up, or if the trees already have the size you want, once a year shake the soil and cut some roots.

pagnr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2022, 07:28:37 PM »
I found Myer Lemons quite variable from seed, some seedlings look like limes, some like Citrons. You won't get true Myer Lemons from seed.
They are grown from cuttings, which might be successful in pots with the right care.
Lemons are more true from seed, but could take a while to fruit from seed.
Another option is buy Citrus rootstock seed, and bud / graft propagate scions from your purchased grafted plants.

tybert83

• Zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2022, 08:20:36 PM »
I might do that. Are Meyer lemons grafted or are they normally own rooted? I also read Eureka trees cant be dwarfed because they are compatible with this root stocks. The info I found said they are all semi dwarf but i can't find info on what root stock they use for semi dwarf? You guys know anywhere to look that stuff up?

1rainman

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2022, 03:21:27 PM »
I had a dwarf Meyer lemon it was a rooted cutting not on root stock. Great plant. It will stay small in a small pot but if you want lemons it needs to be of good size. I was always curious about growing it from seed what would come up.

Aiptasia904

• Orange Park
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2022, 01:26:10 PM »
Meyer lemons don't grow true from seed. You'll need to buy a grafted meyer lemon tree to successfully grow a good one in a big pot.

Kumquats are also great in pots.

poncirsguy

• Cincinnati, Ohio, USA, 6a/6b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2022, 01:57:38 PM »
Fukushu kumquat is the easiest potted kumquat to grow.  Meiwa and nagami are very slow and persnickety.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2022, 04:59:22 PM »
Mandarins on Flying Dragon do well in container culture.

1rainman

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2022, 10:50:01 PM »
Meyer lemon is the best citrus for pots that I know of but I haven't tried everything. It's naturally dwarf. Then there's a second version called dwarf Meyer lemon sometimes sold as Meyer lemon it's smaller. When grown from a rooted branch even smaller. It's maximum size is six feet but it's very wide and full a bush not a tree. It has thorns though. It isn't on dwarf root stock that's just how it grows. But everything on a rooted cutting is relatively small but not that small.

I love the lemons too. I can eat them straight. Only slightly sour. You can see a bit of orange on it when ripe. Great lemon smell and flavor tiny almost imperceptible tangerine flavor sometimes but without the extreme bitterness of a lemon.