Author Topic: Question: mango tree grafting strategy.  (Read 856 times)

fruitnoob

• Florida, Zone10a
    • View Profile
Question: mango tree grafting strategy.
« on: August 30, 2022, 08:43:59 PM »
I am looking into grafting mango trees to increase the number of varieties in my small urban backyard. I’ve watched a lot of videos and read articles about grafting. Even though there are a lot of videos and articles about grafting techniques, I have not seen much that talks about grafting strategy besides maybe the timing/season for grafting.

Do you have a strategy when you graft your mango trees? For example, do you graft cultivars that have same seed type (monoembryonic seed scion to monoembryonic seed tree, poly to poly), or do you graft cultivars that fruit at the same time (early season scion to early season tree, etc), disease resistance, flavor, etc. Is there science or practical results for your strategy?

For example, I want to limit the height of my fruit trees. So my thinking is that if I graft a low vigor variety scion onto a high vigor tree, or vice versa, the different vigor rates will balance each other out. I also want to have varieties that fruit at around the same time so they have enough time to ‘recover’ after harvest, etc.
Sorry if the question sounds silly.
Tom

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Question: mango tree grafting strategy.
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2022, 07:56:26 PM »
You have some reading to do and the good thing is much of what you need is somewhere on the forum

1) You will get help on selecting varieties based on your interest including smaller trees.  This link may be a good starting point.  https://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=17443.msg220341#msg220341

2) You will learn about varieties with somewhat compatible growth habits which will let you have 2 or 3 varieties on each tree, maximizing your yard space.

3) You will learn about the fruiting seasons allowing you to maximize fruit availability.  It is nice to be able to get mango over several months instead of getting a whole lot of mango in one or two months.

There is a resource that several folks here use, a member here has a web page with several varieties described and with some characteristics of those varieties in Florida.  This link will take you to the page on a particular variety but there are so many more on the website.  https://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=46996.msg457095#msg457095

You will find out there are lots of people willing to share knowledge on this forum. 

You are in for a fun time and hopefully a great outcome in building your collection in a small space.

fruitnoob

• Florida, Zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2022, 08:18:37 PM »
@Orkine, thank you.
I've read the threads, and they are quite helpful.
Tom

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2022, 09:05:17 PM »
You are welcome.  There are many more great links. 

Read up and ask questions and I am sure you will get all the help you need.

Melbournemangos

• Melbourne
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2023, 03:19:05 PM »
I am new to this forum and trying to learn. I guess my first question is whether I should add on to this question or start a similar, related question thread.

I too don't have room for more trees but have room in my tree for more varieties. I have a Lil Gem that I don't really love and plan to sacrifice some of the limbs for additional varieties. I'm a little impatient though and wondering if it's okay to graft to branches that are currently fruiting and then cut off the rest of the branch after I pick the fruit and the graft is growing.

Also are there any threads or recommendations for how to pick branches, vertical or horizontal, to start new varieties? 

Thanks in advance for any help.

Chicken Vindaloo

• Merritt Island
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2023, 09:07:33 PM »
I started grafting within the past two years, so not a seasoned veteran here. What I can tell you is what I would do differently. When I first started, I had read that it's best to graft onto actively growing green shoots, so I grafted onto new peripheral branches. The problem with that, is now I have these branches growing at the periphery of the tree which may make pruning tricky. In my last round of grafting, I grafted onto new shoots which were growing around the area where I had taken off a major limb. These new shoots were vigorous, and not only did the grafts take immediately, but they're growing almost from the trunk of the tree. A much better situation.
You can certainly graft onto fruiting trees. I just did that. I've grafted onto vertical and horizontal branches (cleft graft). I haven't noticed one being more successful than another. I recommend Truly Tropical's many grafting videos. They're very informative.
Good luck!

I am new to this forum and trying to learn. I guess my first question is whether I should add on to this question or start a similar, related question thread.

I too don't have room for more trees but have room in my tree for more varieties. I have a Lil Gem that I don't really love and plan to sacrifice some of the limbs for additional varieties. I'm a little impatient though and wondering if it's okay to graft to branches that are currently fruiting and then cut off the rest of the branch after I pick the fruit and the graft is growing.

Also are there any threads or recommendations for how to pick branches, vertical or horizontal, to start new varieties? 

Thanks in advance for any help.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk