Author Topic: Best fruit bush for corner tip in yard? (Zone 9b, California)  (Read 743 times)

Pouteria_fan

• Redlands, California
    • View Profile
Best fruit bush for corner tip in yard? (Zone 9b, California)
« on: August 31, 2022, 12:07:18 PM »
I am looking for a low-growing, bush-like tree or shrub that holds fruit at the most visible tip of on my corner lot. I would plant a tree, but it needs to be low to avoid obstructing the trees and landscaping behind it. The temptation is to go with something purely ornamental (Texas sage, Lavender, etc) but I really want something that bears fruit if I'm going to be watering it. It needs to be evergreen as well, and tolerant of the heat with occasional brief near frost/frost conditions in winter.

I am in Zone9b, Inland Empire area of California, near Riverside/Redlands. Would a dwarf mango be a good choice? Or is there something else recommended? The corner gets plenty of morning sun and dappled afternoon sun, isn't particularly protected from winter cold. I was considering a manzanita but am interested in subtropical fruit species that might work as well. Thanks!
« Last Edit: August 31, 2022, 12:15:39 PM by Pouteria_fan »

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
Re: Best fruit bush for corner tip in yard? (Zone 9b, California)
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2022, 12:50:05 PM »
pitangatuba, jaboticaba

Pouteria_fan

• Redlands, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2022, 05:10:26 PM »
Thank you - the 3-5ft pitangatuba sounds perfect. Looks like it's not too hard to find for sale too, sweet!

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2022, 11:11:51 PM »
another option would be Ugni

Victoria Ave

• Riverside CA zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2022, 11:44:49 PM »
Outside of growing tropicals as a hobby I am a landscape designer focusing on CA natives for my profession. If you do go the ornamental route put in some Cleveland sage, beautiful and requires a light watering once every two weeks. Manzanitas are great but can be tricky to grow, I have one that is making it through its first summer in my clay yard right now. It is a sentinel and is supposed to be more garden tolerant. Be careful with any of the native large shrubs, if they get happy they will get LARGE

Pouteria_fan

• Redlands, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2022, 12:41:33 PM »
Outside of growing tropicals as a hobby I am a landscape designer focusing on CA natives for my profession. If you do go the ornamental route put in some Cleveland sage, beautiful and requires a light watering once every two weeks. Manzanitas are great but can be tricky to grow, I have one that is making it through its first summer in my clay yard right now. It is a sentinel and is supposed to be more garden tolerant. Be careful with any of the native large shrubs, if they get happy they will get LARGE

Thank you!
I have a few Cleveland sage plants. I really like the color and the low water needs, although the cyclical browning out towards latter portion of summer is less than desirable. Have you found a way to maintain there color year-round? I thought perhaps it was just me - but I've noticed some of the larger landscaping arrangements at corporate areas near me using them have the same issue.

RS

• Central FL, 9b/10a microclimate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2022, 03:05:07 PM »
Blackberry jam fruit (randia formosa) is another option that's also ornamental. Or monstera deliciosa if you don't mind covering during freezes. It can usually be found cheaply as a house plant at big box stores.

Pouteria_fan

• Redlands, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2022, 04:28:57 PM »
Blackberry jam fruit (randia formosa) is another option that's also ornamental. Or monstera deliciosa if you don't mind covering during freezes. It can usually be found cheaply as a house plant at big box stores.

That sounds amazing, and delicious (the blackberry jam one). At this rate, I'll end up with grove of tropical fruit bushes in that area :) Getting it!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk