Author Topic: 10b (south florida) perennial staple foods  (Read 3956 times)

David H

• Australia Qld. Ravenshoe 4888 .zone 10
    • View Profile
Re: 10b (south florida) perennial staple foods
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2022, 05:12:45 PM »
We harvested our first plant of Arracacha (Arracacia xanthorhiza )  recently,12 months after planting. The replanting is simple, there are a lot of stem tubers at the surface.
Very good flavour,used like a potato.   It grows in South Florida as well,according to Eric Toensmeier  ,author of " Perennial Vegetables " .  It was very easy to grow here. 

pagnr

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2022, 06:05:32 PM »
We harvested our first plant of Arracacha (Arracacia xanthorhiza )

Which type are you growing in Ravenshoe ? I have eaten it years ago. I think it was the light purple type. Delicious Coconut/Parsnip Flavour.

David H

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2022, 07:32:01 PM »
pagnr,   This one has white flesh, with some purple speckling through it in some of the root tubers.  Some were white only.

Re. the Achira (Canna edulis), the red-leaved form has nicely marked leaves.  The fellow at fairdinkumseeds.com has info. on extracting the starch if you want to dry it.   He lists it under Queensland Arrowroot (Canna indica ).  It's native to the Andes, though,so I'm not sure how it got that name.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2022, 08:37:45 PM by David H »

pagnr

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2022, 07:48:39 PM »
He lists it under Queensland Arrowroot (Canna indica ).  It's native to the Andes, though,so I'm not sure how it got that name.

Pretty sure it was grown for 'Arrowroot' flour in Queensland. Milk Arrowroot Biscuits.

"Originally from South America, it is known as Qld Arrowroot because it was once a major industry in Queensland for the production of starch and flour. Starting in 1870, by 1892 there were 300 acres under production in Coomera and Pimpana, and by 1908 the region supplied the whole country. The industry died out because the crop was not big enough to be mechanised and it was uneconomic to harvest by hand."
("enough to be mechanised and it was uneconomic to harvest by hand." means without the captured South Sea Islander and Kanaka labourers after that practice was banned)

https://www.beelarong.org.au/blog-plants-of-beelarong/2022/6/4/queensland-arrowroot-canna-edulis?rq=arrowroot
http://floreznursery.blogspot.com/2017/03/queensland-arrowrootachira-canna-edulis.html?m=1

Some say Arrowroot comes from an Andean word Araruta ??

David H

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2022, 08:14:31 PM »
 Thanks, pagnr.  Yes, I did know that.    It's my fault for being too brief with my comment.     When I said " not sure " what I really meant was that it was
presumptuous of the earlier  people cultivating the  species here to rename it ,as it already had a name, and had been cultivated by the Peruvians for how many thousands of years. That could have called it Peruvian Arrowroot if they wanted to relay the similarity of the use of the tuber to Arrowroot.
Anyway, that's just my opinion, and thanks for the link.

pagnr

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2022, 08:41:09 PM »
David, things might be changing ?? I recently got some nice Avocado fruit from my local supermarket. They had a small produce sticker that said AHUACATE ( not Avocado ).
Not sure if they came down from up your way ?? Looked like a skinny Hass type, but not too unusual.

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2022, 11:16:52 PM »
I really enjoy yuca, plantain & coconut.  Sweet potatoes grow very well here but they don't taste as good as supermarket sweet potatoes.  They are much more fibrous & less sweet (even after curing).  They are also pretty invasive - they just come up, I don't plant them.  Pineapple doesn't grow abundantly for me.  I have a huge raised bed full of them for 3 yrs and most of them just languish or they fruit but the fruit doesn't make it to maturity - only have got 2 pineapples so far :(

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2022, 10:07:15 PM »
I really enjoy yuca, plantain & coconut.  Sweet potatoes grow very well here but they don't taste as good as supermarket sweet potatoes.  They are much more fibrous & less sweet (even after curing).  They are also pretty invasive - they just come up, I don't plant them.  Pineapple doesn't grow abundantly for me.  I have a huge raised bed full of them for 3 yrs and most of them just languish or they fruit but the fruit doesn't make it to maturity - only have got 2 pineapples so far :(

Big pineapples come from big plants with long, wide leaves. They like lots of nitrogen. Maybe give them some space (at least 3' each direction) and apply high nitrogen fertilizer monthly. They have been super easy to grow here--with the exception of freezes.

One other thing, maybe they need better drainage. I have seen them rot in muck or heavy soil even as potted plants. Mine are in sandy loam.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2022, 10:09:10 PM by Galatians522 »

1rainman

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2022, 03:04:49 PM »
In my experience pineapples are easy to grow but they seldom fruit. You'll get one here and there but it's random. They'll take lots of fertilizer without being burned. It will grow a bit faster but just not a fast growing plant. They'll also survive in Florida with zero care but will be ragged and probably no fruit.

bryan

• Deltona, Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2022, 07:19:24 PM »
Longevity spinach is great ground cover, super easy to grow, and has a good mild texture and taste.

spencerw

• Hawaii
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Self Sufficiency
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2022, 01:47:34 PM »
Nothing beats cooking bananas. 20% of my diet is cooking bananas, I eat them daily. I do need to grow about 1000lbs for me and my partner though. Its doable here with 10 maoli mats. Breadfruit is the next most logical. They are amazing if you know how to pick and cook them. Very filling, not sure if that will work in your climate though. There is colocasia and xanthosoma and true yams, sweet potatoes  that are filling too. Check out my blog for other options but sounds like you already know a lot of your perennial vegetables. Peach palm, fruits and palm hearts, and edible bamboos. Beans, canna, cassava, Sacha inchi, and squash too
https://tropicalselfsufficiency.com/

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2022, 09:56:16 PM »
Nothing beats cooking bananas. 20% of my diet is cooking bananas, I eat them daily. I do need to grow about 1000lbs for me and my partner though. Its doable here with 10 maoli mats. Breadfruit is the next most logical. They are amazing if you know how to pick and cook them. Very filling, not sure if that will work in your climate though. There is colocasia and xanthosoma and true yams, sweet potatoes  that are filling too. Check out my blog for other options but sounds like you already know a lot of your perennial vegetables. Peach palm, fruits and palm hearts, and edible bamboos. Beans, canna, cassava, Sacha inchi, and squash too

By the way Spencer, I have enjoyed reading your website in the past. There is lots of good information, especially your post in bananas. The pictures showing the various deficiencies are very helpful.

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2022, 10:20:27 PM »
I agree with Spencer that cooking bananas/plantains are the best carb source you can grow in the tropics/subtropics.  I'm still looking for the perfect variety for my house.  I have a hua moa plant since I've heard that is very good, but I'm looking for a regular plantain variety as well.  How do you normally prepare them? 

For me thai basil is amazing.  I know it's not a source of carbs but it grows year round very well.

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2022, 10:23:29 PM »

Big pineapples come from big plants with long, wide leaves. They like lots of nitrogen. Maybe give them some space (at least 3' each direction) and apply high nitrogen fertilizer monthly. They have been super easy to grow here--with the exception of freezes.

One other thing, maybe they need better drainage. I have seen them rot in muck or heavy soil even as potted plants. Mine are in sandy loam.

Ty for the advice.  I need to start taking better care of them and being more pro-active but I'm so busy :(

The two sugarloaf pineapples that I had over a year ago were amazing.  This year 3 fruit but the fruits ripened before they reached maturity - not sure why.

spencerw

• Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2022, 02:18:01 PM »

By the way Spencer, I have enjoyed reading your website in the past. There is lots of good information, especially your post in bananas. The pictures showing the various deficiencies are very helpful.

Thanks! Trying to spread information as I learn

spencerw

• Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2022, 02:25:56 PM »
I agree with Spencer that cooking bananas/plantains are the best carb source you can grow in the tropics/subtropics.  I'm still looking for the perfect variety for my house.  I have a hua moa plant since I've heard that is very good, but I'm looking for a regular plantain variety as well.  How do you normally prepare them? 

For me thai basil is amazing.  I know it's not a source of carbs but it grows year round very well.

Huamoa is a great variety, however its a bit of a novelty. I've only had the banana for one cycle and it made a 15lb rack and only 4 hands. As a food source other popo'ulu are more productive. However if you got a huamoa to make a normal type rack then it would be a good food source. But I personally prefer the red trunked popo'ulu as food. Mine made a 50lb rack in a non fertile spot. My next generation is about to flower in a much more cared for location. I'm hoping to get a rack over 65lbs. We shall see. But I love the quick cycle of popoulu. From planting to harvest in 9-10 months. My maoli take 2 years, but give 100lb racks.
I prefer all my bananas cooked, I don't even care to eat them sweet at this point.
Utilizing green: We cut off the tips, slice superficially through the skin, then peel. Then cut into sizeable chunks and boil for 20 minutes. Then take it out, split lengthwise into quarters and then its prepared. We usually freeze them at this point. Great for fries, or mash, or Currys and soups. Use like a potato

Muni

• All there is.
    • Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2022, 08:42:48 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3CwPSn1yDI

Some good info on growing pineapples from the White Sugarloaf farm.
Allow yourself to know, if you wish, that this is a multi dimensional communication.
See what happens.

Stomata

• Sarasota Florida. 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2022, 10:34:30 PM »
Groundnut (apios americana or prieceana), Jicama (pachyrizus sp.s), dioscorea sp., sweet corn root (calathea allouia), texas ebony (ebenopsis ebano), malabar chestnut. what about oil crops? such as acorns, cocoplums, oil palms, macadamia,. there have to be some many other nuts as well..

TheVeggieProfessor

• Broward County, FL, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2022, 02:29:49 PM »
Groundnut (apios americana or prieceana), Jicama (pachyrizus sp.s), dioscorea sp., sweet corn root (calathea allouia), texas ebony (ebenopsis ebano), malabar chestnut. what about oil crops? such as acorns, cocoplums, oil palms, macadamia,. there have to be some many other nuts as well..

I commented earlier about oyster nuts. I'm planning on trying to find some seeds and trying it out next Spring. Sacha inchi seems like a great candidate as well, though I know it's a pain to process the nuts (as is the case for many nuts).

TheVeggieProfessor

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2023, 08:58:23 AM »
Reviving this oldish thread to see anyone's thoughts on adding tropical almonds to the mix. We have room for a big shade tree. I was thinking about breadfruit or paradise nut, but they are marginal for my area. Tropical almond is not. It it a serious staple?

Jordan321

• Melbourne, Florida. 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 12, 2023, 09:55:55 AM »
I've never grown nuts (and barely grown anything else) so I'm not sure what would constitute a serious staple from them. I've got a big tropical almond. It fills with leaves and nuts twice a year (and drops every leaf onto the path from my driveway as often, haha). If I gathered them, I'm guessing a five gallon bucket's worth. Processing is a significant pain. Most of the seed is corky, floaty fiber, then a nut inside, smaller than an almond. Actually a pretty tasty nut.
I don't harvest mine regularly, mainly just to interest my kids and their friends. If I got serious about it, I'd guess two afternoons work would yield a quart of tropical almonds from my large tree.
I realize that all sounds negative, so let me throw some love toward my poor trop almond. When it's got leaves on it, it really is a nice looking, tremendously good shade tree. And all said, it was saved from the chainsaw only because I had a permaculture awakening (i.e. carpets of leaves 2x/year are actually a blessing) and I discovered it makes food (even if I don't harvest it for sheer laziness.
Helpful rambling?

Rispa

• Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 12, 2023, 11:49:06 AM »
Black eye peas and cucumber berry wild produce year round there. Many melon types would do well too.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 14, 2023, 10:21:56 PM »
I have had good success with Xanthosoma sagittifolium as a root crop. Common english name is Tannia, common Spanish names are malanga or Yautia. This is different from Taro which is Colocasia esculenta. The Xanthosoma is a native american plant, takes much longer than the large taro and needs far less water. It also keeps in the ground much better. You can eat the cormels like potatoes, and even the large 4 inch diameter stems are edible. They work in fairly shady spots within fruit tree areas but just outside the canopy. I got a start with grocery store cormels but within a few years I have unlimited planting material at any time.
The big advantage is they are available year round and can be dug and used whenever, versus cassava which goes bad quickly after harvest or gets hard if left too long in the ground, or yams which have limited dormancy and are unavailable mch of the year.
The second best new staple I am growing is an edible Dioscorea bulbifera yam. This came from India originally but mine was sent from Puerto Rico. This is a completely edible type of "air potato" which is the bane of Florida, except is an edible form, very smooth skin and good eating. While seasonal the same as other yams this one is perennial in the ground and you never have to dig the "mother", just pick the potatoes off the vine. I put in a 100 ft row on a fence last year.

Jordan321

• Melbourne, Florida. 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 15, 2023, 12:14:17 AM »
Pine, are you selling any of the edible bulbifera?

TheVeggieProfessor

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 15, 2023, 08:44:56 AM »
I have had good success with Xanthosoma sagittifolium as a root crop. Common english name is Tannia, common Spanish names are malanga or Yautia. This is different from Taro which is Colocasia esculenta. The Xanthosoma is a native american plant, takes much longer than the large taro and needs far less water. It also keeps in the ground much better. You can eat the cormels like potatoes, and even the large 4 inch diameter stems are edible. They work in fairly shady spots within fruit tree areas but just outside the canopy. I got a start with grocery store cormels but within a few years I have unlimited planting material at any time.
The big advantage is they are available year round and can be dug and used whenever, versus cassava which goes bad quickly after harvest or gets hard if left too long in the ground, or yams which have limited dormancy and are unavailable mch of the year.
The second best new staple I am growing is an edible Dioscorea bulbifera yam. This came from India originally but mine was sent from Puerto Rico. This is a completely edible type of "air potato" which is the bane of Florida, except is an edible form, very smooth skin and good eating. While seasonal the same as other yams this one is perennial in the ground and you never have to dig the "mother", just pick the potatoes off the vine. I put in a 100 ft row on a fence last year.

This sounds incredible. I'm assuming the above ground growth is as aggressive as any other true yam? And it goes dormant in the winter?