Author Topic: Ice Cream Bean roots and foundation  (Read 449 times)

Nopro

• Orlando
    • View Profile
Ice Cream Bean roots and foundation
« on: September 12, 2022, 03:18:38 PM »
Anyone knows how far away should I plant an Ice Cream Bean tree from my house to avoid future damaging the home foundation?

Juls

• St Petersburg, Florida
    • View Profile
Re: Ice Cream Bean roots and foundation
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2022, 04:37:07 PM »
I usually google "mature width" of the tree and that's pretty much the diameter of their root system. I would want the tree to be that far out from my foundation.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2022, 09:09:25 AM »
You can chop them back but they also can get very large if uncontrolled. You may not want this size tree close to the house because of potential hurricane damage.

Also, they get frost damage and you are fairly far north. Does anyone know of a fruiting specimen near Orlando?

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2022, 11:03:17 AM »
This may be relevant for some species , but also completely irrelevant for some species...like some Inga Cultivars, Mulberry's, Breadfruit. plenty things send big ass roots way farther than you would ever imagine.
I usually google "mature width" of the tree and that's pretty much the diameter of their root system. I would want the tree to be that far out from my foundation.

Vegan Potato Man

• Honaunau, HI
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2022, 03:48:15 PM »
duplicate comment

Vegan Potato Man

• Honaunau, HI
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2022, 03:48:43 PM »
You can chop them back but they also can get very large if uncontrolled. You may not want this size tree close to the house because of potential hurricane damage.

Also, they get frost damage and you are fairly far north. Does anyone know of a fruiting specimen near Orlando?

Inga wood usually super brittle too. Large branch nearly dropped on neighbors head a while back.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk