Author Topic: In search of information on the Giant Atis Atemoya  (Read 1467 times)

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
In search of information on the Giant Atis Atemoya
« on: October 21, 2022, 03:03:36 PM »
Hi all, does anyone know much about the "Giant Atis" Atemoya?  If memory serves me right there is a picture somewhere on this forum of the fruit.  It was yellow if I remember correctly.  Does anyone have comments on growth habit,  productivity, taste or the look of the fruit?  Any help would be appreciated.  I have a grafted tree and I'm trying to decide if I should keep it or not.  I'm limited on space.

Thanks
Bill

kh0110

• USA, Cerritos, CA 90703, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: In search of information on the Giant Atis Atemoya
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2022, 04:38:20 PM »
I had a Giant Atis once and I'd say it's between AP and PPC taste/growth wise. Nothing special, it has more of the Sugar Apple taste than an Atemoya. It all depends on your fertilization regimen once you have fruit sets, more bloom type required than AP or cherimoyas. Here are photos from the person who gave me the scions and let me sample the fruit in the pix:

Thera

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2022, 11:27:57 AM »
Thanks for the opinion and photos. Did you ever try fruit that was grown here in SoCal? 

Bill

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2022, 06:04:38 PM »
Here's the old post by Mark in Texas. He shows the large yellow fruit, he said it is supposed to be excellent tasting, but I don't think anyone has tasted a fruit from their own tree yet.

I'm interested in hearing the feedback as well, I have a grafted tree but still too small to have fruits.

https://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=27437.25

kh0110

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2022, 06:28:31 PM »
Thanks for the opinion and photos. Did you ever try fruit that was grown here in SoCal? 

Bill

I tried my own fruit before I decided to replace it. The person who gave it to me and who let me sampled the fruit in the photos lives here in Walnut.
Thera

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2022, 07:15:30 PM »
Thera, how would you compare the taste of the Giant Atis to the following?

1)Yellow-Birula
2)Calostro-Seedling-AP

Which one do you like better?

kh0110

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2022, 07:39:48 PM »
I don't know what is Yellow Birula, so I wouldn't be able to compare. Birula is the Socal version of Lisa (Sport of). It has more acidity than Lisa and it's my favorite of all the atemoyas. That's just my personal taste. A good Birula/Lisa that is well fertilized is top notch.

Calostro is also from Frank but I'm not sure if it's a sport or seedling of AP. Giant Atis is far behind Birula taste wise  and Calostro also beats it by a head (if you know horse racing!). This is one of the reason I didn't keep Giant Atis.

Another reason was that I already have PPC and it also beats Giat Atis taste wise by a bit more than a head. These two are quite similar except for the yellowish and large skin segments of the Giant Atis which sometime could get it mixed up with Mr. Minh atemoya.
Thera

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2022, 08:19:36 PM »
Thanks for the information guys and the photos.  I have a grafted tree so I'm going to keep it and grow it.  I like the size and color.  If I don't like the fruit I can always sell the plant later. 

Thera, I'm glad you hear you talk so highly of Birula.  I have grafted plants of Yellow Birula and I'm excited to try the fruit.  FYI, I believe Birula is a seedling of Lisa and Yellow Birula is a bud sport of Birula.  So the Yellow Birula should taste just like a Birula but have yellow skin.

Bill

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2024, 12:01:10 AM »
Giant Atis comes from Richard in Walnut.
The fruit gets big and turn yellow when mature in spring.
My tree is small so the fruits are bland.
Just need to wait out until the tree get big to get good fruits.

seng

• ManOfFruits
    • USA, Ca, San Diego,92126, Mira Mesa
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2024, 01:42:09 AM »
I have a small grafted tree.  It has been fruiting for the second year.  The fruits are big.   It has good aroma, juicy, sweet, soft, beatiful.   Taste wise, inferior to Lisa because I like the firmer and slimmy texture of Lisa. 

« Last Edit: February 13, 2024, 01:50:02 AM by seng »

Seanny

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2024, 09:16:13 PM »
}

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2024, 06:15:29 AM »
Giant atis is a philipine variety and appears to be atemoya backcrossed to sugar apple. From what I have heard they are a bit seedy and ok for taste. Pinks mammoth atemoyas can still get way larger than those and I am sure I posted pics of a few here a long time ago.

greenerpasteur

• San Gabriel Valley, 10B, atemoya, wax jambu, seedless guava, mango, sapodilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2024, 11:35:50 AM »
I had a Giant Atis once and I'd say it's between AP and PPC taste/growth wise. Nothing special, it has more of the Sugar Apple taste than an Atemoya. It all depends on your fertilization regimen once you have fruit sets, more bloom type required than AP or cherimoyas. Here are photos from the person who gave me the scions and let me sample the fruit in the pix:

Same conclusion I've had. Kind of bland compared to AP2 or Giant Geffner. It isn't "Giant". I'm glad I only dedicate a branch of it instead of the entire tree. I wouldn't grow this variety if I can do it again.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2024, 02:09:21 PM »
Ok, good to know. I have a grafted tree I purchased a few years ago, hasn't grown much. Won't worry to much about the tree, maybe will just graft another variety over it.

Seanny

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2024, 01:09:02 AM »
GA leaves get up to 10-12”
If your grafted tree is not growing well then the rootstock is no good.
Get rid of the rs.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2024, 01:56:26 AM »
I think my small tree is weak because the person who grafted it may have used a bad rootstock, but I want the scions to grow more before I move the cuttings onto my large tree. Also in the shade so if I moved the pot into the sun it may grow better, but don't have the space to do that.

The leaves on the GA is not that large at all. Maybe 5" or so. My unknown large cherimoya tree has leaves about 10" long.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2024, 02:00:25 AM by sc4001992 »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk