Tropical Fruit > Tropical Fruit Discussion

Fruiting Shade Tree - Worth it?

(1/3) > >>

TheVeggieProfessor:
I'm in SE FL. Interested in adding a shade tree to the south of my house to help to keep my living room a bit cooler. I like for all of the trees I grow to serve a purpose and producing food is the most appealing purpose. However, I'd want to let the tree grow tall to shade as much of the home as possible (1 story only). So harvesting the fruit would be a pain. Perhaps something that drops fruits (such as macadamia) would be worthwhile? Or maybe something that I can trellis yams up. Any recommendations?

tru:
Off the top of my head I think of my old house that had english ivy growing up the southern wall, given that it's only a one story house what do you think of a vining plant like passionfruit? Good for your area, One vine gets up to 50 feet, fruits aren't too heavy and can be picked with those fruit picking poles pretty easily, + beautiful flowers

TheVeggieProfessor:

--- Quote from: tru on September 17, 2022, 05:39:13 PM ---Off the top of my head I think of my old house that had english ivy growing up the southern wall, given that it's only a one story house what do you think of a vining plant like passionfruit? Good for your area, One vine gets up to 50 feet, fruits aren't too heavy and can be picked with those fruit picking poles pretty easily, + beautiful flowers

--- End quote ---

I was thinking about that. Did you put a trellis up to the south of your house or attach something to the house itself?

1rainman:
You don't want large branches growing over top your roof, such as oak, pine etc it will rot your roof due to a foot of rain a day in rainy season and 100% humidity levels. It stays too moist with shade and leaves dropping.

Mango is a good shade tree. Otherwise I don't know why people are obsessed with them. Just don't plant anything so close to the house that it grows on top of it. I did roofing helper for a summer is how I know.

Most fruit trees are bred to be short and pickable or put on dwarf root stock. You can grow a grapefruit from seed. It will grow fast and be a decent size shade tree.

We have a giant oak tree in my dad's yard. Looks like it's 60 years old. Only like 20 years. We dug a huge hole I mean huge filled it with potting soil on top of watering in the dry season stuff can grow at a blitzkrieg pace in Florida. It's mainly the junk sand that slows them down. It just doesn't hold nutrients.

I guess greening is a problem with citrus. Some do well from seed others don't. Probably a sugar bell seed would do real well. Not from seed are smaller trees.

A muscadine grape will quickly cover the house too but you'll eventually need to cut it back as it takes over everything.

Julie:
I'm growing passion fruit at my house.  I have 3 vines that covered my entire fence.  They are very vigorous and went into my neighbor's side of the fence too - didn't know that would happen - oops.. In order to get fruit you have to do hand pollination, so you would have to be able to reach the vine.  No need to pick the fruits, they drop from the vine when they are ready.  It's a bad idea to plant a large tree too close to your house.  Think about when we have a hurricane and the heavy branches fall on your roof, and the roots can damage your foundation/plumbing/etc.  I honestly wouldn't plant passionfruit on your house either, not sure if it would have the same effect of shade as a tree.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version