Author Topic: Durio crassipes  (Read 1204 times)

cassowary

• Australia FNQ 13a Tropical Monsoon
    • View Profile
    • cassowaryseeds
Durio crassipes
« on: September 20, 2022, 03:40:10 AM »
Durio crassipes, endemic to Sabah and Sarawak, 500-700m. Very rare species.

Have anyone ever encountered this durian species in Borneo?
If so was it at a market, by the road or on a tour in the jungle?

Maybe this one requires a specific tour guide or jungle adventure. Any inputs welcome.
Trying to figure  out the best spot for the next fruit adventure.

https://seedsofborneo.com/2018/12/20/durio-crassipes-hornbill-dispersed/

Peace,
cassowary
CASSOWARYSEEDS.COM
Seed shop and Seed exchange

Elopez2027@aol.com

• USA, New York City
    • View Profile
Re: Durio crassipes
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2022, 08:04:38 AM »
What a beautiful flower and fruit! Rare for sure!. Good Luck.

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2022, 09:00:29 AM »
Interesting. Best check with Lindsay Gasik. She’s the woman who would know. She’s got two tours lined up for Borneo in the coming months. Year of the durian.
Peter

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2022, 10:04:24 AM »
Never came across it there or heard of it before. Looks similar to dulcis but with slight variations. Flesh to seed ratio looks pretty scant

Elopez2027@aol.com

• USA, New York City
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2022, 07:50:18 PM »
Maybe it’s the quality, not the quantity.

pagnr

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2022, 10:21:01 PM »
Have you asked locally?
I " phoned a friend " in Cairns, said one of the Durian Lovers ( lives in the Daintree ) has eaten it in Borneo.

"It’s a snacking durian, P ate them in Borneo just growing wild at entrance to national park"

cassowary

• View Profile
    • cassowaryseeds
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2022, 05:18:32 PM »
Lindsy didn't have the correct or sufficient info on her website on this species. I think her website has good info regarding varieties of D. Zibethinus but not to always good info regarding other Durio sp.
Seams like they are trying to catch an early season in Borneo, well it also depends if it's N or S, W and E in Borneo they are going to.

In a book by A. Lamb (Guide to wild fruits of Borneo) the images shows yield similar to d. dulcis or better which is scanty compared to a zibethinus but still worth eating. It could probly be increased if it could be croseed with d. zibethnius :D
A Lamb says this one should be considered for selection, he seamed keen on this one.

I do talk to people locally but hey there's a reason why I am here, not many can spend hours on Durian discussions, research and thoughts.
Then it should be in one of the parks close to Kuching, Sibu or Kota Kinabalu.

A lady around Tully has D. oblongus (haven't confirmed it myself yet) atleast but a lot of the old timers are getting old and aren't to active in distribution anymore so unfortunetly most of the genetic diversity here is locked away unless you got private access. So D. cassipes could possible already be here. Hopefully Mike T come's back to the forum, he would know most likely.

"All the fruits' didn't mention in his video that it is was in Tenom research park.
Is there any public research park close to Sibu or Kuching?

There's a book named "Durio of Malaysia" that might have some good info in it. But I can't find it in any book shop as a paper copy.

I am not suprised it's in one of the parks cause when i had a look at the satellite images on Borneo recently most of the lowland looked like a square mesh of roads and plantations :(
« Last Edit: September 21, 2022, 05:50:20 PM by cassowary »
CASSOWARYSEEDS.COM

cassowary

• View Profile
    • cassowaryseeds
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2022, 06:30:37 PM »

Apperently available in Sipitang.

If anyone want I could possibly share the login to this eBook from Malaysia. it's really good! Please PM.

It's ironic they stated "Too rare to be of value"
WHAAATTT?!?!?

Peace
« Last Edit: September 21, 2022, 06:34:22 PM by cassowary »
CASSOWARYSEEDS.COM

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2022, 08:04:56 PM »
I was in Sipitang and Lawas and at that time there was more graveolens around than there were Zibethinus. Another slight distinction I notice from this picture compared to dulcis is that the fruit shape resembles that of a more typical durian, dulcis are usually round like a small basketball

cassowary

• View Profile
    • cassowaryseeds
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2022, 10:16:29 PM »
Wow! more graveolens then zibethinus! Sipitang sounds like a good spot to look for these "wild" durians.
I agree with your observation on fruit shape.

What month did you visit?
Trying to figure out the best schedule for a Borneo trip.
Ben mango, since your name includes mango, and I am looking for mangifera species other then indica, do you happen to know when season is for some of the "wild" mangifera" species. And would they coincide with Durian season?

Anyone with experience bush bashing in Borneo and SEA? Is it generally ok to do so or are locals not happy with that?
I know "all the fruits" youtuber going for it alone sometimes and sometimes with "guide".

For me in Bali it was ok to walk around in the forest  and the locals I talked to had nothing bad to say about that, but I must say it was hard to find "forest" as most is plantation, residential or steep hills.

In Sweden we have a moral agreed law that is: you can trek in any forest (private/public/plantation/park etc.) as long as you follow some common sense and do not stay more then one night in one spot.
CASSOWARYSEEDS.COM

Finca La Isla

• View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2022, 10:43:05 PM »
I was in Sabah and the Malay peninsula in August. We found probably 5-6 species of durio, very good ones. We found great mangifera including the white flesh mango. Snow White and very good. Tenom is super for mangifera. We also had a d. kutegensis to die for at Tenom. August was good for us.
Peter

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2022, 11:57:37 AM »
I went in late dec into January both years I went. It seems this is usually when the main season is but sometimes comes earlier or later. I based this off when people on the forum were selling seeds in years past. It’s possible the year Peter went the season started early or that there were 2 seasons, from which I gather can happen. There were some mangiferas when I visited such as m. pajang, probably the most widely grown mangifera on Borneo. The flavor was just ok for me, and just like anything I’m sure the flavor varies a lot from tree to tree. I came across m. caesia once on the way to Tenom at a roadside stall but I was not impressed with the flavor. I figured this could not be the same “white mango” people talk about so highly in Bali. All the fruits seems a bit more adventurous than me as he went to Kalimantan and did some foraging in the jungles. Also worth noting, I did come across a durio z x dulcis at a roadside stand/ market outside of Miri. Glad you had a good experience with kutejensis Peter, as the ones I tried were all pretty dry. I remember Lindsay showing there are some good ones to be found in Sibu.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2022, 11:59:50 AM by ben mango »

cassowary

• View Profile
    • cassowaryseeds
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2022, 10:53:36 PM »
Sabah seams worth it then, can take a ferry from a port near Balikpapan to Tawau.
August or December, hmmm..
Yes Mangifera caesia in Bali is very good IMO. Have never tried other M. caesia so have nothing to compare to but there are different varieties in Bali, pink/red skin, brown rough skin, green skin and in-betweens. There is also a really good elusive seedless wanii in Sidemen, still haven't found the tree. Also different shapes and sizes, it's a very common mango in Bali.

Ben, did you like the dulcis x zibethinus hybrid?

Peter, was it better then a standard average zibethinus?
Haven't had kutjensis yet :(
CASSOWARYSEEDS.COM

Finca La Isla

• View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2022, 11:50:43 PM »
The kutejensis was very good.  We had started that trip south of KL and then went to Penang.  We had lots of good durian on that trip.  At that time, August, we were lucky that Penang still had fruit but that worked out.  We got help from Lindsay to make some good contacts in KK, kalingan, and Tenom.
I’m entertaining the idea of a trip to Sarawak in January. We’ll see.
Peter

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2022, 05:03:29 PM »
Sabah seams worth it then, can take a ferry from a port near Balikpapan to Tawau.
August or December, hmmm..
Yes Mangifera caesia in Bali is very good IMO. Have never tried other M. caesia so have nothing to compare to but there are different varieties in Bali, pink/red skin, brown rough skin, green skin and in-betweens. There is also a really good elusive seedless wanii in Sidemen, still haven't found the tree. Also different shapes and sizes, it's a very common mango in Bali.

Ben, did you like the dulcis x zibethinus hybrid?

Peter, was it better then a standard average zibethinus?
Haven't had kutjensis yet :(

I actually didn’t even try it because I wasn’t feeling well that day. Had enough energy to go fruit hunting but not eat the fruit ha

fruit nerd

• Australia, FNQ, 13a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2022, 06:43:43 AM »
What about Mangifera odorata? Goes by the name "durian mango" in some places I believe.

pagnr

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2022, 08:49:47 PM »
Cassowary, Are you a member of the Rare Fruit Council ??
The person I am thinking of is in the Mossman Branch, goes overseas a bit.
I visited some of those older collectors 20 years ago. They were very open and helpful back then.
Don't know if they still do markets, I had it has changed a lot since then so I hear.