Author Topic: White Sapote Taste : Younghan's Gold vs Supersweet  (Read 350 times)

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
White Sapote Taste : Younghan's Gold vs Supersweet
« on: September 20, 2022, 06:51:12 PM »
Anyone growing either Younghan's Gold or Supersweet white sapote?

I have both, also Bonita Springs. Just wondering if anyone has tasted these two Florida varieties and which one they liked better.

This is the first year I have fruits that will grow to full size on my grafts, so I hope to do a taste comparison in a month or so and report my findings. If you have any photos of the fruits, I would like to see it so please post it here.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
Re: White Sapote Taste : Younghan's Gold vs Supersweet
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2022, 11:09:04 PM »
Here's some photos, if your fruits looks like these let me know. This is the first time for me to get full size fruits on my grafts.

Satya

• North Miami Beach, FL , Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • Growing rare tropicals and fruit trees.
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2022, 04:11:20 PM »
Kaz, i had many varieties sent out to me in a box from CA  2-3 years ago. None were labelled so i didn't know who was who, but some varieties were quite delicious. 2 months ago i ate Yonghan's gold at a friend's house and it was delicious, on far with the CA ones i had 2 years ago. I have never tried the Supersweet variety. For some reason my multi-grafted tree does not seem to grow fast and the leaves stay light green despite feeding with nutrients.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2022, 04:22:30 PM »
Satya, I noticed the new grafts takes at least 2 years before it will start fruiting and hold full size fruits. These grafts with the fruits shown are now 2yrs old for the Younghan's and 3 yrs old for the Supersweet. Got both scions from Mike.

bryan

• Deltona, Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2022, 08:49:17 PM »
Is your tree growing in a pot? If so, very impressive, didn't think that was possible with sapote.
I have Redlands producing for the first time and Supersweet that I just grafted last year, so might be another year or two for that one.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2022, 09:10:59 PM »
No not in pots, my trees are in ground. One seedling tree is a McDill seedling (10ft tall) which has the Younghan's Gold graft, the other seedling tree is the yellow sapote (8 ft tall) with the Supersweet graft. Between the two trees I have about 12 different varieties grafted on them. I had small fruits on most of the varieties but only these two had normal size fruits.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk