Author Topic: White Sapote Taste : Younghan's Gold vs Supersweet  (Read 3961 times)

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
Re: White Sapote Taste : Younghan's Gold vs Supersweet
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2023, 06:54:19 PM »
Thanks for updates Kaz, youngans gold looks like gold flesh for sure! can't wait for mine to fruit. 8)

Matti.Laith

• Peoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2023, 11:48:51 AM »
Julian Lara (Lara Farms, South Miami-Dade) is propagating a white sapote that he named Campbell.  He says it's the best tasting for Florida.

I was lucky enough to snag one but there is literally no information on it. Hopefully it performs well in AZ. I also have a Younghans and Vernon.
Still debating on where to put them all sense I'm low on space. The best lighting spot would require the tree to be espaliered but not sure if white sapotes would do well on a espalier but the Campbell sure would be nice there lol

Matti.Laith

• Peoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2023, 01:59:45 PM »
I'm glad to see that Younghan's Gold took first place.  I'm going to try to plant it and Campbell here in SoFlo.

Indeed. That YG looks amazing.

Also going to for YG and Campbell here in AZ. Hoping that Campbell lives up to the hype.

yimnvs

• USA, CA, San Leandro, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2023, 07:56:22 PM »
The campbell is actually available on Lara's website at the time of this post. Just ordered one.

CarolinaZone

• USA,NC,7B
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2023, 08:59:45 AM »
The campbell is actually available on Lara's website at the time of this post. Just ordered one.
Damn it, man. Informing everyone about the tree I want before I get one is not the done thing.😁🤣😁🤣 Next time tell old CarolinaZone first.  ;)As soon as I saw this post I tried to snag a Campbell but they were sold out. I was therefore forced  fill my cart some other way over priced stuff 8) I might be cyber stalking that website for the rest of the year until I can get one. I have a younghans, a subelle, a Vernon, a redlands, 2 called USDA all in pots.  I'm hoping someone will graciously offer some scions for some of the other cultivars I want.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2023, 01:13:33 PM »
Damn it, man. Informing everyone about the tree I want before I get one is not the done thing.😁🤣😁🤣 Next time tell old CarolinaZone first.  ;)As soon as I saw this post I tried to snag a Campbell but they were sold out. I was therefore forced  fill my cart some other way over priced stuff 8) I might be cyber stalking that website for the rest of the year until I can get one. I have a younghans, a subelle, a Vernon, a redlands, 2 called USDA all in pots.  I'm hoping someone will graciously offer some scions for some of the other cultivars I want.
Ha!  You're right.  All the Campbells are gone for now.  And I was on my way to Homestead on Monday.  Oh well, I'll still go to the Fruit and Spice Park and Going Bananas.
John

MarktLee

• USA, California, Chula Vista Z24
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2023, 01:17:16 PM »
I've tried at least 20 varieties mostly from the late Bob Chambers grove in San Diego County, and all the popular varieties. His orchard is quite large. The best one I have eaten is one called "Mary Ln." from a tree in Escondido. The fruit is smaller than others but it is like rich caramel and banana when the fruit turns yellow.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2023, 02:00:36 PM »
Glad to hear that Mark, is it a yellow sapote (C.T.) or a white sapote? I just grafted some more on my tree so I hope I can taste the Mary Ln fruit in a year or so.

MarktLee

• USA, California, Chula Vista Z24
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2023, 06:13:43 PM »
Glad to hear that Mark, is it a yellow sapote (C.T.) or a white sapote? I just grafted some more on my tree so I hope I can taste the Mary Ln fruit in a year or so.

Yeah, it is a yellow one with yellow flesh. I've got a one gallon small grafted one that put on flowers this year, they fruit real quick.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2023, 10:15:11 PM »
Mark, of the yellow sapote varieties you have tasted, did you taste the Clytia (Bob Chambers)?

I just ate a few fruits last week and to me it is the best yellow sapote in my collection so far. I haven't tasted your Mary Ln yet, I hope it starts fruiting next year.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2024, 05:06:08 PM »
Just ate a few more Younhan's Gold fruits from my tree. It is still excellent tasting. The brix =19, which is pretty high for a white sapote.

I still think it is one of my best tasting white sapote fruit. This is the 3rd year of fruiting on my tees.

Roman

• Nature Enjoyer & Container Gardener
  • Always Ready & Willing to Learn!
    • USA - California, Davis, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2024, 06:37:59 PM »
Just ate a few more Younhan's Gold fruits from my tree. It is still excellent tasting. The brix =19, which is pretty high for a white sapote.

I still think it is one of my best tasting white sapote fruit. This is the 3rd year of fruiting on my tees.

Thanks for the updated taste report. I was thinking of buying a grafted "Vernon" tree today but might just end up waiting until Lara Farms restocks "Younghan's Gold" trees based off of your reports. I was able to get a "Campbell" tree from them this past summer but it's still pretty small. I'm looking forward to seeing if it actually tastes like flan and lives up to the hype, though.

Speaking of Brix readings, is "Younghan's" noticeably sweeter than the other varieties you grow? I was reading your other thread ("2023 White Sapote Taste Test") as well and saw that you ranked "Younghan's" above "Vernon" and "McDill" there - would you say that "Younghan's" is much better than those other two in terms of flavor and sweetness?

How would you describe the flavor of "Younghan's" - is it "lemony" or complex in other ways (i.e. flavors similar to vanilla, flan, caramel, brown sugar, butterscotch, peach, or banana)? I heard that "Vernon" has a sort of caramel-like flavor but I'm not sure if that's just hype that's spread by nurseries to sell more trees, any chance it really does taste like caramel? And how would you describe the flavor of "McDill"? I've heard it has more of a simple flavor but is very sweet. Thanks again for any info you're willing to share.

By the way, has anyone here tried "Denzler"? I've been wondering if that variety is worth growing. There don't seem to be any taste reports on it and I was thinking of ordering a 1 gallon tree of that variety from Lara Farms as well once Julian has them back in stock.
Every new day is full of new opportunities!

Ready to learn and always growing!

-- Roman

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2024, 10:52:13 PM »
Roman, the answer is yes on the Younghan's Gold.

I can't really describe the flavor profile that well, just that it is excellent when I compare it to my other varieties I mentioned. The only other c.tetrameria that might be equivalent in flavor to the Younghan's Gold is the Clytia but it was the first year fruits so maybe this coming year it will be even better. Clytia is a very productive (tons of flowers) variety, just like the Younghan's Gold.

Here's another person's opinion of the Younghan's Gold fruit tastes. I agree with Harry's description of the fruit.

https://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=15889.0

Roman

• Nature Enjoyer & Container Gardener
  • Always Ready & Willing to Learn!
    • USA - California, Davis, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2024, 11:01:29 PM »
Roman, the answer is yes on the Younghan's Gold.

I can't really describe the flavor profile that well, just that it is excellent when I compare it to my other varieties I mentioned. The only other c.tetrameria that might be equivalent in flavor to the Younghan's Gold is the Clytia but it was the first year fruits so maybe this coming year it will be even better. Clytia is a very productive (tons of flowers) variety, just like the Younghan's Gold.

Here's another person's opinion of the Younghan's Gold fruit tastes. I agree with Harry's description of the fruit.

https://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=15889.0

Thanks a bunch, Kaz!

Hope your Clytia goes bonkers and gives you a lot of fruit - looking forward to hearing an updated taste report & comparison to Younghan's on it from you once it's in season and you get some ripe ones!
Every new day is full of new opportunities!

Ready to learn and always growing!

-- Roman

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk