Author Topic: "C. Unshiu x C. Junos" and "Poncirus x C. Unshiu" from Adavo  (Read 1602 times)

Peep

• Belgium, Antwerp - 8a/8b
    • View Profile
"C. Unshiu x C. Junos" and "Poncirus x C. Unshiu" from Adavo
« on: October 07, 2022, 02:37:52 PM »
I bought both the "C. Unshiu x C. Junos" and "Poncirus x C. Unshiu" from Adavo. I was wondering if people here have experience with these.

The description of the "Poncirus x C. Unshiu" is fairly positive:

• "Probably a Czech variety, the branches are flat and twisted similar to the Flying Dragon with small single, double or triple leaves of irregular shapes with smooth edges, small flowers and large twisted thorns. Frost resistance is between -15 and -20°C. It grows significantly. A partially deciduous variety, the younger plants practically do not fall at all, the older ones can be said to be almost as deciduous as Poncirus, although the plant always keeps a leaf here and there through the winter. The fruits are smaller, mandarin-shaped, sweet without the influence of poncirus in taste, but rather of a lower mandarin quality, the length of our growing season also seems sufficient in the lowlands, although obviously at the cost of smaller and less ripe fruits. It grafts poorly."

Description of the "C. Unshiu x C. Junos" is a little less positive about taste and there is also no information about cold resistance:

• "The new hybrid, not described in detail, has a looser structure and has thorny twigs. Stems up to 2.5 cm long. The leaves are deep green, 5-15 cm long, with less prominent veining and a bluntly bifurcated tip. The lower part of the leaf is a stipule up to 4 cm long and 2 cm wide. In younger leaves, the stipules are less noticeable. Rather straight, visible as a petiole, which is, however, short 5 mm. It has white five-pointed flowers. The pear-shaped fruit, lemon-yellow in color, 5-7 cm long and 3-4 cm wide, has a rough, rough skin. The peel is firm, hard, 1 cm wide. There are 9 segments inside, medium seeds (about 10) and very little juice. The color of the pulp is white-yellow-brown. The taste is bitter, astringent and almost inedible."

I'm not very familiar with this kinds of crosses, would it be expected that these are F1 crosses? Or could they be F2 or possibly further in generation? I bought these two because I might eventually want to use them for breeding. But would it also be useful to grow seeds from these to make selections from?

Here is a picture of my "C. Unshiu x C. Junos" that I received:

I'll update with a better picture and also one of the "Poncirus x C. Unshiu"

Best regards,

vnomonee

• Zone 7a northeastern NJ
    • View Profile
Re: "C. Unshiu x C. Junos" and "Poncirus x C. Unshiu" from Adavo
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2022, 04:11:11 PM »
Poncirus X C. Unshiu sounds a lot like Prague Citsuma / Prague Chimera especially with that hardiness

Ilya11

• France, Paris region, Vaux le Penil, middle of Northern z8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2022, 03:39:53 AM »
Yes, the first one is definitely a Prague.
UnshiuXJunos is probably a variety of Yuzu found  in a public garden in Yalta, it is also known as Yaltinsky hybrid.
Original tree is very resistant, its fruits are exceptionally aromatic, but otherwise indistinguishable from Yuzu.
Best regards,
                       Ilya

Peep

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2022, 07:25:45 AM »
Yes, the first one is definitely a Prague.
UnshiuXJunos is probably a variety of Yuzu found  in a public garden in Yalta, it is also known as Yaltinsky hybrid.
Original tree is very resistant, its fruits are exceptionally aromatic, but otherwise indistinguishable from Yuzu.

Is it a hybrid then or just a cultivar of Yuzu, like the Yuzu N°3 etc. ?

The pear shaped fruit in the pictures from Adavo don't look very much like a Yuzu in my opinion: https://eshop.rakytnik.com/katalog/zbozi/citrusy/mrazuvzdorne-druhy/produkt/c.-unshiu-x-c.-junos---poncirus

Although the plant itself that I received does look indistinguishable from Yuzu.

The Unshiu x Poncirus does look very much like my other Prague. Bit weird that Adavo lists the Slava Micurinec as chimera, while it isn't, and this one as a cross while it's actually a chimera. Luckily I can use another Prague, I wanted one for my brother.

pagnr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2022, 04:35:35 AM »
The pear shaped fruit in the pictures from Adavo don't look very much like a Yuzu in my opinion:
"The color of the pulp is white-yellow-brown. The taste is bitter, astringent and almost inedible."

Interesting that the hybrid fruit doesn't seem to be an improovment on Yuzu.

BorisR

• Crimea, Feodosia, z7
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2022, 01:20:58 PM »
This is what the fruits of Yaltinsky citrus look like. Very similar to yuzu.

Peep

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2022, 04:23:06 PM »
This is what the fruits of Yaltinsky citrus look like. Very similar to yuzu.

Cool, thanks for the pictures. Have you tasted the more common yuzu cultivars as well? I wonder how it compares in fruit quality?

But yeah, still unsure what the plant from Adavo is. I mean, he has a mother tree, so I guess he would know if it was close to regular yuzu (Yaltinsky) or an actual hybrid. So I don't get why he would put the description with the pear shaped fruit on the website if it was the Yaltinsky. But then again, not all his descriptions are very accurate and my plant looks like yuzu and not like a hybrid, unless it doesn't show in the leaves at all.

BorisR

• Crimea, Feodosia, z7
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2022, 02:08:10 AM »
I haven't tasted regular yuzu varieties yet. Can't compare.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2022, 02:12:07 AM by BorisR »

mikkel

• Lueneburg, Germany Zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2022, 02:15:03 AM »
@Boris is it edible or is it an processing fruit?

BorisR

• Crimea, Feodosia, z7
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2022, 02:24:57 AM »
Similar to how yuzu is described. The peel is sweet, fragrant, without bitterness. There is little pulp, as the seeds take up a lot of space. The pulp was jelly-like when I tasted it. More suitable for processing.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2022, 03:04:08 AM by BorisR »

BorisR

• Crimea, Feodosia, z7
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2022, 03:01:20 AM »
I don't have a fruiting plant. This is what the seedlings look like:

Ilya11

• France, Paris region, Vaux le Penil, middle of Northern z8
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2022, 05:10:04 AM »
My plant has been in open ground for 7 years, no protection, no damage. Fruiting is rather shy, this year no harvest because of extremely dry and hot summer.

Best regards,
                       Ilya

Peep

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2022, 07:23:39 AM »
Today I saw a post on Facebook where the description and pictures seem to match those of Adavo when talking about the Unshiu x Junos:

Translated from French: "Hello, today I present you the most rotten citrus fruit that I have the Satsuma X yuzu dry fruit without pulp nothing (worse than the Tahizu which has juice that can be used to clean the toilets) Bought 3 years ago at Véssiéres"

Note the slightly pear shaped fruit in their pictures.

But what's maybe more interesting is that Olivier Biggio (who has at least some credibility) writes in the comments that it is an hybrid between ichangensis and yuzu.

Maybe this explains why the plant looks so much like a yuzu? And ichangensis would also not help the fruit quality as much as a satsuma would, is my guess.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2022, 07:25:14 AM by Peep »