Author Topic: Quails in the greenhouse, will they be a problem for the plants?  (Read 685 times)

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
I know some of you raise quails in your greenhouses, i looked up old posts but couldnt find information regarding whether quails eat and could damage plants. Has anyone of you had problems with them destroing your plants?
My uncle will be getting me 5 quails, probably the common ones, in a few days . Should i put nets around the bases of the plants?
Particularly worried about my dragon fruits as they arent woody and would be easy to consume...
Also i hope they dont eat all of the earth worms that i have in the top layer of soil...

JCorte

• Laguna Beach and Fallbrook, CA, zone 10b/10a
    • View Profile
Re: Quails in the greenhouse, will they be a problem for the plants?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2022, 10:08:17 AM »
I don't know about how they would behave in a greenhouse, but I have dozens of them living on my farm.  They do not seem aggressive or cause any damage like chickens can.

Janet

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2022, 11:38:28 AM »
Daintree a forum member has quails in hers.
Shouldn’t be a problem.

W.

• United States, Alabama, 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2022, 12:31:01 PM »
Brian has button quail in his greenhouse. I don't think I've seen him post any complaints about his quail. As Janet stated, quail are not destructive birds like chickens.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2022, 01:14:24 PM »
Yes, button quail are harmless.  I have seen them peck at leaves rarely, so I avoid leaving very, very tiny just-sprouted seedlings on the floor.  They don't seem interested in even fallen fruit, they only eat seeds and bugs.

I assume larger quails are also well behaved

I originally wanted to get parrots but I heard they are highly destructive and will attack fruit & leaves

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2022, 01:33:42 PM »
Thanks for all the comments! My uncle has took the quails from one person, 7 of them. I hope they arent too much for my 12 m2 greenhouse. Sounds like i should not have a problem, i have just a few pots in there so dont really have that much vegetation happening dawn low.
I will take them in friday and by then i have to make a little house for them to sleep in or hide till they get adjusted. Do they need a coop with like sticks inside, for them to rest on, like chickens ?

Brian, those buton quails look very cute, also gray and easily seen, knowing how good their camouflage is, on the regular ones, they'll be hard to find in there.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2022, 02:01:58 PM »
No, they just walk around on the floor they do not require any kind of perch.  They like to dig for bugs in the dirt.  If you disturb the soil they will be attracted to that area because it stirs up new bugs.  I give them finch seeds also. 

They don't seem to want any coop, either. At night they huddle up together and form a circle (like a schiltron).  Even when I offered them shelter they didn't use it, I would always find them on the ground somewhere in a huddle if I came in at night.

In captivity quail are stored in fairly small cages, any greenhouse should be ample space for them.

Button quail coloration is highly variable if you get random eggs.  Mine are all gray because they are all offspring of one white + one dark gray parent.  Other quail types might be less variable, not sure.

vall

• Treasure Coast
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2022, 04:01:29 PM »
My coturnix took a couple bites out of an epiphyllum I was rooting, but it was the only plant within reach. With that size greenhouse I doubt they'll damage anything mature, or they might peck some things out of curiosity then quit. If you ever grow veggies in there, they will eat any leaves close to the ground.

If they're coturnix they will appreciate some little boxes to hide in (cardboard is fine), but no coop or perch.
- Val

pagnr

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2022, 06:21:42 PM »
Any problems with Quail getting startled and flying up and knocking themselves out on the roof ? I have heard of this in Bird cages ?
Also interested in letting some into my large shade house for 'Quaility Control' duties.
Sometimes see Quail wild around here, when working outdoors.
Very funny when you are standing still in long grass, and 3 or 4 march up to you single file, then see you, stop dead in their tracks and fly off.
Always cracks me up.

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2022, 11:48:51 PM »
Brian, i will probably make just a simple wood box for them, bottomles since you say they like to sleep on the ground directly. I want to try this since it will be better for them to go in there for the night,i regularly go into the gh in the evening so i  dont really want to scare them and force them run places in the dark haha ....

Vall , i dont really know which tipe they will be, i am quessing not a fancy tipe or whatever, i will photo them and post here , it'll be nice to further id them.