Author Topic: Best tasting feijoa ( pineapple guava)variety?  (Read 5168 times)

tru

• Texas
    • View Profile
Re: Best tasting feijoa ( pineapple guava)variety?
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2022, 07:46:06 AM »
Feijoas need chill hours for better quality fruit, but since they're lumped in with other true 'tropical' fruits no one thinks they would. For anyone contemplating growing feijoas in more temperate climates: do it! They'll survive down to 15F. If you live in a place that's super cold you might not get a lot of production but who knows, it probably tastes better than here. Texas has a bit of help growing because we live in a constant, unwavering 70% RH

(that is to say: high humidity stops the heat from hurting them, not that feijoas like high humidity)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2022, 07:52:51 AM by tru »
instagram @trumansacco

Gulfgardener

• Panhandle 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2022, 09:33:42 AM »
Restoring Eden Nursery also has some of the New Zealand varieties  https://restoringeden.co/product-category/fruiting-shrubs/pineapple-guava/  I just bought some yesterday. I haven't heard of many people growing them here on the FL panhandle even though the climate seems like it would fit. I guess we'll see :)

Reedo

• Santa Cruz, CA - zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2022, 11:25:34 PM »
Kaiteri, 8-ball, Abbadabba, and Albert’s Pride have been my favorites so far. I’ve tasted Coolidge, Mammoth, Nazametz, and a dozen or so seedlings, including some 30+ year old trees that were probably early CRFG plantings. There isn’t a huge disparity in quality between most for the cultivars, so most of the newer, reputable named selections are pretty good. Kaiteri is probably the smoothest, least gritty selection I’ve tried. 8-ball has a great, smooth shape with more honey flavor than some of the others. Abbadabba, Albert’s Pride, and Albert Supreme are very sweet, with a good deal of sourness. An excellent balance. Seedlings and landscape plants are worth exploring, too. There is a local plant that is grittier than normal, but has more anise flavor than is typical. A really interesting and tasty fruit.

Pau

• California
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2022, 11:37:02 PM »
Kaiteri, 8-ball, Abbadabba, and Albert’s Pride have been my favorites so far. I’ve tasted Coolidge, Mammoth, Nazametz, and a dozen or so seedlings, including some 30+ year old trees that were probably early CRFG plantings. There isn’t a huge disparity in quality between most for the cultivars, so most of the newer, reputable named selections are pretty good. Kaiteri is probably the smoothest, least gritty selection I’ve tried. 8-ball has a great, smooth shape with more honey flavor than some of the others. Abbadabba, Albert’s Pride, and Albert Supreme are very sweet, with a good deal of sourness. An excellent balance. Seedlings and landscape plants are worth exploring, too. There is a local plant that is grittier than normal, but has more anise flavor than is typical. A really interesting and tasty fruit.

It seems you have lots experience in trying different types. Among the ones you tried, which do you like best?

tru

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2022, 04:09:16 PM »
Someone else the forums in a thread from long ago said that Albert, the guy that made "Albert's Pride", says that feijoa grown from seed tastes just as good if not better than cultivated varieties.

Don't know how true that is, but you might not have to look very far for quality fruit!
« Last Edit: November 15, 2022, 04:11:20 PM by tru »
instagram @trumansacco

JCorte

• Laguna Beach and Fallbrook, CA, zone 10b/10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2022, 04:24:06 PM »
Here is a video with Mark Albert talking about how he selected for better varieties.  I think seedlings can be better than some varieties, but like growing seeds of any fruit, some do not taste as good.  I have a seedling that tastes better than Nazemetz, but I have tasted some that I did not like at all with medicinal, minty flavors. 
https://youtu.be/gMehlDeQ3wI

I plan on growing out seeds of the New Zealand cultivars because they’re patented and I want to be able to share genetics of the best tasting fruits.

Janet
« Last Edit: November 15, 2022, 04:33:06 PM by JCorte »

Reedo

• Santa Cruz, CA - zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2022, 07:46:42 PM »
Here is a video with Mark Albert talking about how he selected for better varieties.  I think seedlings can be better than some varieties, but like growing seeds of any fruit, some do not taste as good.  I have a seedling that tastes better than Nazemetz, but I have tasted some that I did not like at all with medicinal, minty flavors. 
https://youtu.be/gMehlDeQ3wI

I plan on growing out seeds of the New Zealand cultivars because they’re patented and I want to be able to share genetics of the best tasting fruits.

Janet

I think that's a great idea. I'm doing the same, and am encouraging others to as well. I think Mark Alberts selections still deserve further propagation from cuttings and seeds as well.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk