Author Topic: Avocado trees flooded with salt water.  (Read 574 times)

kinghappy

• Naples, Fl.
    • View Profile
Avocado trees flooded with salt water.
« on: October 24, 2022, 01:18:24 PM »
Hurricane Ian flooded our property, ON Nish and Brogdon avocados got 2 feet of salt water on them. I'm in South FL in very sandy soil. Have top soil and mulch on top 6 inches. Trees have been doing well for years. Previous hurricanes burnt all the leaves badly but trees came back strong. Now most all the leaves are fully brown with little to no green on them. Water the plants hard every 3 days trying to flush the salt out. Anything else I can do? guess if they will survive?

Fruit Jungle

• Loxahatchee, Florida Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Avocado trees flooded with salt water.
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2022, 08:09:33 PM »
They are likely toast. Avocados don't do well in flooded conditions, I would say you may have made it worse with the additional watering. I lost about 3 avocados from Ian, some avos were only on 5-6 inches higher ground than others and they made it just fine. I'm way out west, so no salt issues, but if you want to try again I would consider some mounds, which make watering more important in the very dry season, but better than getting them wiped out in the real wet hurricane events.

kinghappy

• Naples, Fl.
    • View Profile
Re: Avocado trees flooded with salt water.
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2022, 07:46:16 AM »

ground is sooo sandy here it dries out quickly. Sorry to hear you lost some. Salt has killed half of all the landscaping here. Was hoping the trees could take it, but it is not looking good.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk