Author Topic: Grafting Borneo durio to zibethinus rootstock  (Read 564 times)

tongmuan

• Thailand
    • View Profile
Grafting Borneo durio to zibethinus rootstock
« on: November 15, 2022, 09:11:29 AM »
We have 3-4 year old seedlings of Borneo forest durio (graveolens, oxleyanus, dulcis, lowianus - two of each) in our small backyard garden. We are considering getting more land, and in that case I would like to plant these in a bit bigger scale.

Are the other durio graft compatible with zibethinus (durian baan) rootstock? Searching the forum the only related result was fruitlovers saying in 2015 that graveolens should be compatible with zibethinus, but maybe someone on the forum has practical experience of successes/failures already?

Also, what would be the best case flowering scenario for trees grafted with scions from 3-4 old seedlings? I assume it would be slower than scions from already fruiting trees, but might still be faster than planting seed? For example, according to info on theferns, for example graveolens from seed might flower in 6 years.

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
Re: Grafting Borneo durio to zibethinus rootstock
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2022, 10:07:00 AM »
I graft lots of zibethinis but I have never done any Inter species grafts of durio. However, I have heard from a reliable source in Malaysia that graveleons makes a good root stock for zibethinis. But, I know somebody here in Costa Rica that is a very good grafter who attempted 30 grafts of zibethinis on graveleons and none took. And this guy is good. So…
Whether grafting scion material from a 3-4 year old seedling could cause the newly grafted tree to produce earlier is something to ponder. I don’t think you’d really ever know. How long are those Borneo durian seedlings going to take anyway? 
We’re growing all that stuff but only our zibethinis is in production. I have been successfully grafting a durian hybrid called Bungah Merah onto zibethinis so that’s pretty exciting for us.
Peter

tongmuan

• Thailand
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2023, 07:42:10 AM »

Looking good so far, left to right: graveolens, lowianus, oxleyanus, dulcis.

We were procrastinating whether to hire somebody professional to do a few grafts of each type (to make it more likely that the likely failures would be because of incompatibility, not bad technique) or try it ourselves with previous experience only of side grafts. Have to thank you Peter that we got this far - after my wife randomly found your durian grafting video on Youtube, she got the inspiration to try and surprisingly most of the grafts took even on the first attempt.

Maryoto

• WhatsApp +62 812 3688 1182
    • Borneo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2023, 01:50:07 PM »
I grafted the scions of durio oxleyanus, durio graveolens, durio kutejensis, durio dulcis, durio acutifolius, durio excelsus and wild hybrid durios natural crosses pollination between wild durios) using durio zibethinus as a rootstock last january.
And all succeed and growing healthy.

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2023, 01:54:39 PM »
That’s great to hear, I’m really glad that has worked for You.
I have a hybrid from Perak Malaysia called Bungah Merah. I’m not really sure what all is in this hybrid, maybe some dulcis, graveleons, zibethinis??  Anyway, I’ve been grafting it successfully onto zibethinis and sharing it around.
Peter

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2023, 08:16:47 AM »
Zibethinus seems to be suitable rootstock for all other Durios tried here

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk