Author Topic: Cold hardy avocado, banana and mango  (Read 817 times)

Itsmedata

• Greece, kavala, low 9a
    • View Profile
Cold hardy avocado, banana and mango
« on: December 02, 2022, 01:30:12 PM »
I am looking to plant some things and from what i found i can only plant avocados from those 3, the mexicola avocado which is resistant up to 18f. I wanted to ask if there is any cold tolerant edible banana or mango that survives down to -7c.

Some cold hardy mango variations i know are gomera 1-2-3 and a cold banana is musa basjoo although it's not edible🤷🏾

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
Re: Cold hardy avocado, banana and mango
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2022, 01:31:24 PM »
No cold hard mangoes or edible bananas. You'll need a greenhouse or a way of protection in the long run.

shiro

• France La Rochelle
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2022, 01:51:00 PM »
Blue java banana, some say resistant to -6°C
I bought some on ebay in the spring and got scammed off.
I received cucumber seeds instead.
But still I couldn't check anything myself about its hardiness

Itsmedata

• Greece, kavala, low 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2022, 01:52:54 PM »
Blue java banana, some say resistant to -6°C
I bought some on ebay in the spring and got scammed off.
I received cucumber seeds instead.
But still I couldn't check anything myself about its hardiness
yes i checked it, it says up to 7c could be right tbh hut not sure

Itsmedata

• Greece, kavala, low 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2022, 01:53:07 PM »
No cold hard mangoes or edible bananas. You'll need a greenhouse or a way of protection in the long run.
alright thank you!

FloridaManDan

• Fort Lauderdale, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2022, 06:05:29 PM »
An online source from the Canary Islands claims that the cultivar "Gomera," specifically "Gomera-1" is the most cold hardy rootstock/mango variety available in Europe, growing in coastal Mediterranean areas. Apparently the mature trees can survive short freezes up to -4°C, and its even been indicated to fruit in Southern France (although I assume it has a million protections going for it).

If not that, the Mallika dwarf mango is one available in the US that is suggested for attempting to plant in zone 9 or colder regions. No clue on availability for that cultivar in europe. Good luck.

Itsmedata

• Greece, kavala, low 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2022, 01:23:07 AM »
An online source from the Canary Islands claims that the cultivar "Gomera," specifically "Gomera-1" is the most cold hardy rootstock/mango variety available in Europe, growing in coastal Mediterranean areas. Apparently the mature trees can survive short freezes up to -4°C, and its even been indicated to fruit in Southern France (although I assume it has a million protections going for it).

If not that, the Mallika dwarf mango is one available in the US that is suggested for attempting to plant in zone 9 or colder regions. No clue on availability for that cultivar in europe. Good luck.
alright thank you i will search for those two

Radoslav

• Slovakia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2022, 03:23:31 AM »
In my subtropical greenhouse avocado is ripe next year, so I think there is no chance to get fruits from tree, in area where is - 6C during winter, no matter how hardy is the tree itself.

Itsmedata

• Greece, kavala, low 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2022, 08:36:13 AM »
In my subtropical greenhouse avocado is ripe next year, so I think there is no chance to get fruits from tree, in area where is - 6C during winter, no matter how hardy is the tree itself.
i am asking cuz i saw a huge tree with a lot of avocados in a village in south france, we have the same mean min temperatures in january etc, around 34f, but it gets lower some days

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2022, 02:42:23 PM »
I think that you have a chance with short cycle bananas such as Viente Cohol. Your climate sounds very similar to North Florida/ South Georgia/ South Alabama where there has recently been a lot of research done recently on production of short cycle bananas. Here is a good but lengthy article from Auburn University about one such trial at Fair Hope Alabama. There is a lot of great information in the article including an average minimum temperature graph for you to compare with your location.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://etd.auburn.edu/bitstream/handle/10415/5082/Edgar%2520Vinson,%2520Spring%25202016.pdf%3Fsequence%3D2%26isAllowed%3Dy&ved=2ahUKEwitv_aWlt77AhXuVTABHRgIBH8QFnoECCYQAQ&usg=AOvVaw3oaLcEsxgu5qmrkuu0OdaV

Itsmedata

• Greece, kavala, low 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2022, 02:43:07 PM »
I think that you have a chance with short cycle bananas such as Viente Cohol. Your climate sounds very similar to North Florida/ South Georgia/ South Alabama where there has recently been a lot of research done recently on production of short cycle bananas. Here is a good but lengthy article from Auburn University about one such trial at Fair Hope Alabama. There is a lot of great information in the article including an average minimum temperature graph for you to compare with your location.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://etd.auburn.edu/bitstream/handle/10415/5082/Edgar%2520Vinson,%2520Spring%25202016.pdf%3Fsequence%3D2%26isAllowed%3Dy&ved=2ahUKEwitv_aWlt77AhXuVTABHRgIBH8QFnoECCYQAQ&usg=AOvVaw3oaLcEsxgu5qmrkuu0OdaV
thanks, i will go to read the article!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk