Author Topic: Fruit tree with crepe myrtle - like curb appeal?  (Read 2351 times)

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Fruit tree with crepe myrtle - like curb appeal?
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2022, 07:46:13 PM »
Pomegranate, but it is not evergreen.  It drops all the leaves during winter.
Nevermind, you are looking for myrtle.
How about this? Graft pomegranate onto your crepe myrtle. Yeah man. It's a thing. I found our about in on the https://growingfruit.org/ forum. I grafted a tiny branch to a mature crepe myrtle. It pushed growth and seems fine. I grafted late in the year so we will see what it does in the spring.

You have done this graft yourself and its still alive!? That would be one of the most remarkable combinations that I have ever heard of.

CarolinaZone

• USA,NC,7B
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2022, 07:53:19 AM »
I did it this summer. It is defoliated right now. I will not know about the graft success until the spring. There are some pictures of a person who has some more mature grafts on growingfruit. If you do a search on google and you can find the pics.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2022, 01:13:36 PM »
I did it this summer. It is defoliated right now. I will not know about the graft success until the spring. There are some pictures of a person who has some more mature grafts on growingfruit. If you do a search on google and you can find the pics.

I did search. I'm guessing that this will not be a long term success, but am blown away that it has lasted this long.

pagnr

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2022, 01:54:17 PM »
I wasn't  aware they were related till this post. Both in the Lythraceae.

Edible crops include the pomegranate (Punica granatum) and the water caltrop (Trapa bicornis or T. natans). The pomegranate is cultivated for the fleshy arils surrounding the seeds, and the water caltrop for its seeds. Henna (Lawsonia inermis) is cultivated for the dye of the same name, derived from its leaves.

Ornamentals are grown from a number of genera, including Cuphea, Lagerstroemia (crape myrtles), and Lythrum (loosestrifes).

Tortuga

• Myrtle Beach, SC
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2022, 10:47:07 AM »
I think pomegranate make great ornamental trees. I use them to plant in HOAs.

Someone said A jelly palm which is a good idea. They have almost no maintenance. The fruit is heavy bearing and delicious

Eucalyptus species have great smell and good looking bark and overall tree shape