Author Topic: Bali, Indonesia fruit adventure  (Read 925 times)

thesimsdude

• United States, Fl, Auburndale Zone 9b
    • View Profile
Bali, Indonesia fruit adventure
« on: January 02, 2023, 03:23:44 PM »
Hello! If you were to plan a fruit expedition in Indonesia, where would you make sure to go? Going to be planning a trip and thought to consult the true fruit advocates here. Cheers

cassowary

• Australia FNQ 13a Tropical Monsoon
    • View Profile
    • cassowaryseeds
Re: Bali, Indonesia fruit adventure
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2023, 05:12:48 AM »
Where none else goes cause then you will find the rare gems.
Sulawesi still have quite a bit of primary forest, there you could maybe even discover new species or varieties. Maluku too.

You could fly to Balikpapan and take ferry to Sibu, that's what I am setting out to do next time I fly. Even though Sulawesi would be even more epic the flight is expensive for me cause no direct from here.

Also Kalimantan, take a ferry boat deep into the remote posts.

You got to study the monsoon patterns so that you will arrive when there is plenty of fruit. On the equator the monsoon determines flowering, you would want to time it some months after a good dry period. You can also use Instagram to see how much durian advertisement posts the locals are putting up but that's only suitable if you book on short notice, that's how we do it to get the best possible season.

Sidemen in Bali is amazing if you want to try some organic wild seedling durian (zibethinus) that is just amazing! cheap too. Sidemen is good in feb march most time. Nov dec can also be good.

You can try and find the thornless durian in a ag park close to Jakarta. Lombok also have some natural thornless durian.

Bruni for dabai and lots of wild durian like oxleyanus, graveolens etc. Very close to indonesia. But Sibu will be as good and there is an amazing ag park not to far from it.

Get a parang when you arrive and arrange a guide with locals. "All the fruits" youtube channel have videos of many areas so check it out :D

Have fun!

CASSOWARYSEEDS.COM
Seed shop and Seed exchange

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2023, 02:11:35 AM »
I just left Bali after two months, so I guess the right person to ask :) All common topicals were available entire time while I was there.  Durian, mangosteen, rambutan, mangoes, salak, dragon fruit.. Season is coming to an end now. Actually it was not suppose to be peak fruit season but ever shifting monsoon patterns make it more unpredictable. October was extremally rainy in Bali, while it was supposed to be dry.

Indonesia is not the place for durian hunting. Very unpredictable quality. Sellers buy entire tree harvest in advance from villagers and instead of making multiple trips to a tree, cut lots of underripe fruits and take everything to a market at once.

Now I'm in Western Borneo, it's suppose to be peak fruits season, but limited selection available. For example, no marang, even though they definitely suppose to be in season if you go by old patterns. I was told they finished few months back. Dabai just found only one person with overripe fruits, season almost finished. Less common jungle durian varieties no where to be seen. Although you do have quite a few local only exotics available now. I just don't think they are worth travelling for ( I did not come for fruit hunting. I tasted everything before ) Unless you have intel on the ground, it will be difficult to time everything properly simply going by previous patterns. Eastern Borneo has different patterns.

edit. forgot to add, last day in Bali got contact of man who say he knows super tasty red flesh durian in Java. But not season now. The place is very close to Bali. From Bali to Java one hour ferry, and than one hour drive to tree. He will keep me updated.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2023, 02:18:56 AM by DurianLover »

cassowary

• View Profile
    • cassowaryseeds
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2023, 12:49:40 AM »
"Indonesia is not the place for durian hunting. Very unpredictable quality. Sellers buy entire tree harvest in advance from villagers and instead of making multiple trips to a tree, cut lots of underripe fruits and take everything to a market at once."

That's why it's important to get to the farming areas and find the farms and local road stalls. So that you don't buy that strip picked fruit that is shipped to urban areas.

We got Marang falling now in FNQ, which is not the normal season.
CASSOWARYSEEDS.COM

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2023, 06:26:47 PM »
So, I am in Malaysia right now and there are durians in Pahang especially. I understand that February should be good in Java. Of course the advice to be cautious about quality is good.
Peter

cassowary

• View Profile
    • cassowaryseeds
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2023, 06:58:33 PM »
Wow Peter that's amazing, I wish you a great trip!

Any other Durio species then Zibethiuns?
CASSOWARYSEEDS.COM

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2023, 06:17:54 AM »
Other species we have eaten are lowianus and a lowianus hybrid called sangka.
We’re on the Malay peninsula off the beaten track. I haven’t seen a foreign tourist since I left the airport in KL over a week ago.
Peter

cassowary

• View Profile
    • cassowaryseeds
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2023, 12:40:01 AM »
Wow that's the way to go!

lowianus and a hybrid, that's crazy!
Will note that this might be a good time for a visit, thanks :D

Was the lowianus better then one of your best zibethinus? Better then an average zibethinus?
CASSOWARYSEEDS.COM

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2023, 01:52:03 AM »
So, I am in Malaysia right now and there are durians in Pahang especially. I understand that February should be good in Java. Of course the advice to be cautious about quality is good.
Peter

It's peak second season now. Pahang season is pretty reliable every year. Prices have fallen significantly in Malay peninsula since November. Should last till end of February.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk