Author Topic: 2023 Mango Season  (Read 31285 times)

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
2023 Mango Season
« on: January 13, 2023, 05:36:05 PM »
Hello mango growers!

Curious about flowering and productivity around Florida and abroad. Especially interested in sharing info on new varieties, in addition to experiences with classics as many of our climates are shifting.

Currently seeing flowers on Sugar Loaf and Ceci Love.

Sugar Loaf

Will traverse the jungle to check on other varieties.

After a crappy season last year, hopeful for even a decent year.

Please share your experiences and let us know what is flowering.

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
Re: 2023 Mango Season
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2023, 06:02:51 PM »
Several trees are breaking bud and flowering already.  I will wait until this current cold spell passes before making an assessment on what the season may be like.

I expect one maybe two more deep drops before spring (after this weekend).  Depending on the timing of those cold spells, it could be boom or bust.

fruitnoob

• Florida, Zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2023, 06:51:30 PM »
It's a weird phenomenon in my yard: Two small trees - both in ground, are blooming: 3gal Nam Doc Mai and 7 gal Carrie. None of them will be allowed to fruit. The 3 25gal potted trees: Cat Saigon, Fruit Punch, and Maha don't show any sign. Maybe they are shy in the new house, who knows. I am leaving them outside for the Sunday cold snap (lowest temp will be around 40) to see if they'll do anything.
Last year, i got my mangoes from Fruitscapes and other places in Pine Island. Not sure where to go to satisfy my mango addiction for this year.
Tom

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2023, 07:09:32 PM »
Sugarloaf, a 7-gal containerized Madame Francis, and one of my Pickerings are flowering. I'm hoping the buds poking out on a lot of my seedling trees are going to turn into panicles. I am afraid of frost Sunday morning and hope this is the last drop into the 30s this season.

Honest Abe

• Biscayne Park, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2023, 09:20:41 PM »
Bailey’s marvel and Pickering are just starting to push buds in my yard. Hopefully floral and not foliar…

Still dormant: sugarloaf, NDM, pineapple Pleasure and Keitt. I expect everything to push atleast some panicles  out in about three weeks with lows under 60 for the next 6 or 7  days consecutively.

roblack, what age are your sugarloaf and cecilove just curious? ( my sugarloaf had flowered 3 years in a row but always drops the few fruit it sets…) im planting a cecilove this summer…

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2023, 10:01:03 PM »
2 branches of CL, with multiple smaller branches, were grafted summer 2021, or maybe 2020. lol, not entirely sure at the moment. Mature enough to hold some fruit, but wouldn't let it get crazy yet.

Sugar Loaf is a nice little tree about 8 feet or so. In ground a couple of years, planted as a 5 gallon (again, not entirely sure. Could've been a 3g). It has flowered and fruited, but yet to get ripe fruits. Animals beat me to the only holdouts last year.

JR561

• Boynton Beach, Florida 33437 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2023, 10:46:36 PM »
So far only seeing flowers from sugarloaf and a container Julie.

Calusa

• St Petersburg, Florida 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2023, 08:45:58 AM »
My young Maha Chanok bloomed and set a couple of pea-size fruits a few months ago, but only on the north side of the tree. Now the south side has begun pushing out bloom buds. The 37 degree temperatures at Christmas didn't appear to have hurt anything.

My Glenn hasn't shown any bloom or growth buds lately.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2023, 01:16:59 PM »
Seems Sugarloaf is an easy flowerer. Ours is covered in blooms, noticed now that I have more closely inspected. Roughly 40 - 50% of tips show blooms at the moment.

Glenn still quiet here too.

Just noticed blooms on guava mango (Sein Ta Lone) today. Super excited, as first flowering for this tree and its a beloved mango. Tree is well over 10 feet, in ground a couple of years, and the blooming branch tips are pretty thin.

yoski

• Sebring, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2023, 03:12:59 PM »

Rosigold is way ahead of the game. Luckily didn't get affected by the cold spells. Hopefully we're done with cold this season.

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2023, 10:13:04 AM »

I live in Highlands County and NO blooms whatsoever here, I have a Glenn, 2 Cogshall, Maha and Keitt (though very small tree for being 15 years old). I'm okay with it not having blooms yet since I still have appx 6 weeks of "possible" freezes here...already had 6 or 7 days of overnight lows in the lower 30's, frost but not actual freezing temps. Definitely this year is much later than last year. I had blooms on most of my trees by mid January...Had zero mangoes last summer due to several hours of hard freeze... temps in the mid to upper 20's on January 30 2022...killed all the blooms and many branches got damaged also on my mango trees and just about anything else in the yard  :'(.

Hopefully I won't get blooms till late Feb but that is highly unlikely  :o

Anyone else have blooms on their mango trees in Central or South FL? Lychee is blooming now but won't hold my breath...I've had freeze/frost kill those the last 3 years also. I really hope we all get mangoes and lychees this year! Last year was horrible for having no mangoes!!

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2023, 12:52:25 PM »

I live in Highlands County and NO blooms whatsoever here, I have a Glenn, 2 Cogshall, Maha and Keitt (though very small tree for being 15 years old). I'm okay with it not having blooms yet since I still have appx 6 weeks of "possible" freezes here...already had 6 or 7 days of overnight lows in the lower 30's, frost but not actual freezing temps. Definitely this year is much later than last year. I had blooms on most of my trees by mid January...Had zero mangoes last summer due to several hours of hard freeze... temps in the mid to upper 20's on January 30 2022...killed all the blooms and many branches got damaged also on my mango trees and just about anything else in the yard  :'(.

Hopefully I won't get blooms till late Feb but that is highly unlikely  :o

Anyone else have blooms on their mango trees in Central or South FL? Lychee is blooming now but won't hold my breath...I've had freeze/frost kill those the last 3 years also. I really hope we all get mangoes and lychees this year! Last year was horrible for having no mangoes!!
Has your Keitt tree resisted MBBS?  Didn't you used to have Pickering, as well?  Good luck with the fruit this year!  :)
John

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2023, 09:57:26 PM »
I have seen some mango bloom already in Highlands County. Someone sent me a pic of a peach cobbler in Sebring that was blooming on Thanksgiving.

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2023, 10:27:50 AM »
Lots of blooming on my Glenn & Orange Sherbet trees and a tiny bit of blooming on Pickering and Sweet Tart.  This winter has been pretty chilly so I'm hopeful.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2023, 11:32:05 AM »
That's great news Julie! Keeping an eye on ST and OSh over here, neither has fruited for me yet. This might be the year.

Would be cool to have an interactive map showing mango flowering and fruiting trends across the state, year to year.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2023, 11:36:42 AM by roblack »

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2023, 11:35:52 AM »
 Posted by: johnb51
[/quote]Has your Keitt tree resisted MBBS?  Didn't you used to have Pickering, as well?  Good luck with the fruit this year!  :)
[/quote]

Hi John! MBBS? Not sure what that is, please elaborate  :) <y Keitt is in a very shady area now, it didn't use to be shady when I first planted it, but the neighbors Oak trees have grown so much now that it is so it gets very little sun, it has produced a few times in years past but it's a very small tree (also suffered several freezes) in the last few years which really stunted it also.

Very good memory John...I did use to have Pickering but around 8 or 9 years ago we decided to put a screened in porch in the back and guess which mango tree was smack right in the way of the location of the new porch? Yes, my poor Pickering had to go and it was already too big to re-locate and I never replaced it...I do miss my Pickering SO much!!

Thanks for the good luck wishes, I need it  :D

Thanks ALL for sharing your mango blooming progress...

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2023, 11:44:12 AM »
Hi John! MBBS? Not sure what that is, please elaborate  :)
Mango Bacterial Black Spot.  Quite an issue in Palm Beach County anyway.
John

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2023, 11:48:42 AM »
That's great news Julie! Keeping an eye on ST and OSh over here, neither has fruited for me yet. This might be the year.

Would be cool to have an interactive map showing mango flowering and fruiting trends across the state, year to year.

I started with larger trees and got some Orange Sherbet mangoes last year.  Mine were good but not as good as the ones from Dr. Campbell.  ST has not fruited for me yet but it has one panicle now. Unfortunately not very many people are interested in developing technology related to growing your own food.  If I had more time I'd create a gardeners journal or something like that

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2023, 09:14:57 AM »

Thanks John for the clarification , I get sooty mold from time to time with Keitt, probably due to the fact it's in a shady area, hope MBBS stays away here, too many other issues to deal with already  :)

Happy to hear some of you are getting blooms, fingers crossed this year will be better than last year.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2023, 01:13:34 PM »
Glenn appears to be pushing now =)

fruitnoob

• Florida, Zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2023, 08:04:53 AM »
I hope this is a good sign for my Maha in 25g pot.

Tom

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2023, 05:23:14 PM »
Looking flowery to me Tom! Good luck with the Maha!!

Add Sweet Tart to the blooming trees in our yard, along with Glenn, Sugar Loaf, Ceci Love, and Sein Ta Lone (Guava). Hard to say bc buds are tiny, but Mmmmmm4 may be joining the fruiting crew as well. 

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2023, 06:26:48 PM »
My trees are already starting to push and show signs of flower panicles up here lol. I wish everyone the best for mango season 2023. Hopefully it's good. There's so many varieties I missed trying last year I need to make up for this year!

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2023, 12:01:14 PM »
...plus Maha grafted branch now too =)

noochka1

• Miramar, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2023, 02:00:20 PM »
It looks like it's going to be a good year.  I've got confirmed bloom on Banganpalli, Jehangir, Kesar, Jumbo Kesar, Julie, Dot, East Indian, Janardhan Pasand, USDA Himsagar, Neelam, Mahmood Vikarabad, #11, and Alumpur Baneshan.   I'm spraying the heck out of them this year cuz I'm tired of losing fruit to powdery mildew attacks.  Waiting for bloom on Borsha, Malda, Sindhri, Manohar, Sonpari, Panchadarakalasa, Dashiri and Royal Special.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2023, 02:05:00 PM by noochka1 »