Author Topic: Anyone ever had luck with a decapitated annona seedling?  (Read 1526 times)

tru

• Texas
    • View Profile
Anyone ever had luck with a decapitated annona seedling?
« on: January 24, 2023, 02:01:34 PM »
Stem below cotyledons rotted inside the seed, but healthy rootmass that has continued to grow for a while. Just slip potted it into a 5gal in hopes it gets the least stress as possible.

What do you think the odds are that it'll make a new shoot/sucker eventually? The stem is vibrantly green a week later.. call me crazy but I'm hopeful  :) (if you call 5% hopeful)

Anyone know if certain species have a better chance than other ones at extreme stress like this?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2023, 02:04:58 PM by tru »
instagram @trumansacco

John B

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone ever had luck with a decapitated annona seedling?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2023, 03:50:37 PM »
My experience from cherimoya/atemoya is it will die. The longest I've allowed them to go is about a month. USually it was from a critter/insect eating the leaf. But, I also don't place seedlings directly into a 5 gal pot. 

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2023, 05:22:40 PM »
I have had a couple push new leaves but both times it happened
very soon after the initial leaves came off in the seed. As long as it's
green there is a chance

tru

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2023, 08:34:13 PM »
thank yall, will continue intensive care and hope for the best. Its the most expensive seed ive ever bought so I'm really determined to make it live :( neolaurifolia
instagram @trumansacco

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2023, 09:23:30 PM »
I hate to be a downer but chances of its survival (without tissue culture techniques) are very slim. The cotlydons are the plant's energy reserve and are also the location of the buds for vegative growth. As the chlorophyll in the stem fades, the sprout will probably starve to death. I supose it doesn't hurt to see what happens, though.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2023, 01:49:03 PM »
Sad for you. This is classic rodent damage. I lost probably 20 nice little yangmei sprouts to those bastards and now surrounded the pots with traps.

tru

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2023, 04:15:35 PM »
Sad for you. This is classic rodent damage. I lost probably 20 nice little yangmei sprouts to those bastards and now surrounded the pots with traps.

Fortunately if it was rat damage I would have MUCH greater problems, this is taken from an indoor growroom ;D

It sprouted just fine but it seems the mold had already started devouring the leaf mass long before it was shipped to me, I originally had contacted the seller because there was visible mold growing on the seed after 24h warm water bath. He expressed concern too and offered to send me a new one when he gets a new shipment, that was months ago though wonder if he's still down; I really tried my heart out to make it work. Never know when your tree could be the last one you know?

Like what if mangoes went extinct? What a nightmare. Oh well. Best laid plans of mice and men blablabla

Still though we have a huge rat problem here too! Very sorry to hear about the yangmei : (
instagram @trumansacco

NateTheGreat

• SF Bay Area, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2023, 12:56:19 PM »
I had that with neolaurifolia, maybe 2 of them. One resprouted a little, but nothing came of it. I don't think I've yet seen pics of a successful seedling.

tru

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2023, 02:17:18 PM »
I had that with neolaurifolia, maybe 2 of them. One resprouted a little, but nothing came of it. I don't think I've yet seen pics of a successful seedling.

tragic : ( the pictures of the fruit made me so excited
instagram @trumansacco

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2023, 02:38:34 PM »
i had many seeds of different fruit trees where the top end of the seedling was damaged, cut, bud eaten. Never seen any recover and grow. Maybe you will be in luck and have another small plant grown from the root area.

tru

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2023, 03:03:39 PM »
i had many seeds of different fruit trees where the top end of the seedling was damaged, cut, bud eaten. Never seen any recover and grow. Maybe you will be in luck and have another small plant grown from the root area.

had an abiu and a luc's garcinia revive themselves but I think I've used up all my luck, annonas seem so slow to get established for me
instagram @trumansacco

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2023, 03:14:58 PM »
Tru, for me the annona seeds grow easily, just throw them in a community pot and wait. The citrus seeds take longer for me.

Here's one of my citrus seeds (pomelo) that I just started growing. Since I have a lot of them, I'm going to decapitate 10 seedlings shown in the photo and we can see if any of them survive. My guess is 0% success.

Anyone else want to guess how many or if any will survive after cutting off the leaf section (1/3 from top end)?

« Last Edit: January 27, 2023, 07:53:22 PM by sc4001992 »

tru

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2023, 03:35:45 PM »
Tru, for me the annona seeds grow easily, just throw them in a community pot and wait. The citrus seeds take longer for me. Here's one of my citrus seeds (pomelo) that I just started growing. Since I have a lot of them, I'm going to decapitate 10 seedlings shown in the photo and we can see if any of them survive. My guess is 0% success.

Anyone else want to guess how many or if any will survive after cutting off the leaf section (1/3 from top end)?

yea for ex. citrus or passionfruit, any super small seeds I think have close to no chance, but plants with really big seeds have better odds. I agree though they definitely germinate faster if they are grown near eachother, very peculiar. I know that the seeds have acetogenins, I wonder if the leaching of them into the water signals to the other seeds to all sprout?
instagram @trumansacco

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2023, 07:24:44 PM »
As I understanf it, there are no buds below the cotyledons. I believe that it is possible for a bud to regenerate from callus tissue, however, this takes time and there won't be enough energy in the seedling to support it that long unless it is in tissue culture media.

tru

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2023, 08:28:15 PM »
As I understanf it, there are no buds below the cotyledons. I believe that it is possible for a bud to regenerate from callus tissue, however, this takes time and there won't be enough energy in the seedling to support it that long unless it is in tissue culture media.

yeah sorry for not replying earlier but your post sent me down a rabbit hole! I've been researching tissue culture for the last day or so and I'm only falling deeper
instagram @trumansacco

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2023, 09:03:02 PM »
Tru, for me the annona seeds grow easily, just throw them in a community pot and wait. The citrus seeds take longer for me.

Here's one of my citrus seeds (pomelo) that I just started growing. Since I have a lot of them, I'm going to decapitate 10 seedlings shown in the photo and we can see if any of them survive. My guess is 0% success.

I agree with 0%

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2023, 05:35:32 AM »
I bought 2 snonna reticulata seedlings in individual pots, those had already several leaves on them, in one of the pots there was an additional seedling that was decapitated. From my experience with cherimoya and with this particular reticulata, if the decapitation happens below the point where the cotyledon leaves were/are, theres no chance for sprouting back. 

W.

• United States, Alabama, 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2023, 05:50:25 PM »
I agree with the 0% survival rate estimate on these to-be decapitated pomelo seedlings.

I've had a couple of cherimoya and sugar apple seedlings survive the predicament tru's seedling is in. They struggled and always stayed stunted compared to their "sibling" seeds. But most of them die pretty quickly. I've no experience growing Annona neolaurifolia and not much success with the rarer Annonaceae, so take my growing advice on Annonas with a grain of salt. Still, there's no reason to not try and baby that seedling until it either grows or gives up the ghost, particularly since it was an expensive seed.

tru

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2023, 06:10:59 PM »
I agree with the 0% survival rate estimate on these to-be decapitated pomelo seedlings.

I've had a couple of cherimoya and sugar apple seedlings survive the predicament tru's seedling is in. They struggled and always stayed stunted compared to their "sibling" seeds. But most of them die pretty quickly. I've no experience growing Annona neolaurifolia and not much success with the rarer Annonaceae, so take my growing advice on Annonas with a grain of salt. Still, there's no reason to not try and baby that seedling until it either grows or gives up the ghost, particularly since it was an expensive seed.

as an update the stem is still bright green! I hope it senses my effort and gives me a shoot ;D
btw that branca is doing amazing its flushed 4-5 times already, beautiful leaves
instagram @trumansacco

pagnr

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2023, 06:26:00 PM »

Apart from the agar gel, the tissue culture medium has nutrients. Anyone think you could supply the nutrients to seed raising mix.
Most seed mixes have fertiliser, but the TC nutrients are more tailored ?
Since the seedling is green it can photosynthesise, increasing the lighting duration and intensity may help it push through.
The Citrus general discussion had a topic on feeding albino seedlings with nutrients ( sugars ) to keep them going for a while longer than normal.
Any thoughts on plant hormones to stimulate bud formation.

tru

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2023, 06:54:39 PM »
I have some slow release fertilizer and pH'ed it, i was reading and it sound like bud growth promotion isn't an option because they need to be more mature, but there is a way to promote shoot growth from callus when there is more 'cytokenin' than 'auxin', if you wanted to promote root growth you need more auxin than cytokenin (I have absolutely no idea why/how, just what they do). It sounds like there's 2 main routes: agar where you add each individual thing the plant needs, and MS culture which comes with lot of/everything premixed

ik the seedling itself looks small... but it was almost rootbound to a .5gal pot so no need for root promotion, and hopefully the slow release is enough to push a new stem. For abiu it took 1-1.5 months for a new stem with less roots, for luc's it took 2.5-3 months-ish? after fully rootbounding the .5gal, wildly different results from my sample size of 2 lol. not holding my breath but maaan it'd nice if 2 months from now I can update with fresh leaves  :)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2023, 07:00:38 PM by tru »
instagram @trumansacco

W.

• United States, Alabama, 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2023, 12:28:39 AM »

as an update the stem is still bright green! I hope it senses my effort and gives me a shoot ;D
btw that branca is doing amazing its flushed 4-5 times already, beautiful leaves

Good to hear your Branca jabo is doing well. Glad it found a good home. Hope it produces fruit for you sooner rather than later.

tru

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2023, 03:41:21 PM »
Update: hate to get my hopes up but I was watering it today when…

Is this going to be new shoot growth!?
instagram @trumansacco

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2023, 05:22:22 PM »
Update: hate to get my hopes up but I was watering it today when…

Is this going to be new shoot growth!?
looks like you may have some vegetative growth buds there, def do not look like root starts as those should be white. Be carefful with the wattering, as it doesnt have any leaves you should be sparse with watering.

tru

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2023, 05:31:33 PM »
YES!!!! Thank you, I've been really careful only every 4-6 days, I uncover the very top part to check for root growth and if its still alive but was very surprised this time!

I don't know if this sounds dumb but would it be a good idea to maybe rub off the smaller growths? I don't think it'd be best for the plant to throw out 10 new shoots or if it'll prioritize by itself but its also insanely stressed and I've went way too mad scientist already :)
instagram @trumansacco