Author Topic: jobe  (Read 3585 times)

phucvu

• View Profile
jobe
« on: January 23, 2012, 05:06:55 PM »
spike fertilizer.  now that i've thought about it, i did put one jobe spike into the jaboticaba's pot, and that might be the source of too much fertilizer, but i thought that it was a slow release type of fertilizer also.

then in the beginning i did use a root stimulator, vitamin b something and that could also be the reason.

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
Re: jobe
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 05:52:33 PM »
I would be very, very hesitant to use a Jobe spike in a potted plant.  Much too risky in my opinion.

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 06:35:06 PM »
Yep, they are very fert sensitive. Use a good osmocote/dynamite product.

Jeff
Jeff  :-)

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 08:37:30 PM »
Jobe in a pot = dead tree!
FloridaGreenMan

phucvu

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 09:10:59 PM »
what's it good for then?

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 09:33:05 PM »
Well.....I suppose its good for the shareholders of the parent company that makes the Jobe spikes.  I suppose that sticking them in the ground, out of doors, around a large tree could be ok.....but I always prefer a granular that can be broadcast aound the entire drip line of the tree.

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

CoPlantNut

• USA, Longmont, Colorado: Zone 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 09:36:27 PM »
In my opinion, the fertilizer spikes are great at creating a large "poisoned area" in the ground, and separating people from their money.  That's about it. 

I've used them in the past (20+ years ago) with disastrous results on potted plants-- even in 24" or larger pots.  So I gave a couple extra spikes to the neighbor, who promptly created 2 4-square-foot dead spots in his yard around where he placed them.  Admittedly, our clay soil outside binds salts extremely well and is very poor-draining, but these dead spots persisted for years.

For containerized plants, I've always had the best experience when I religiously gave them 1/4-strength fertilizer with every watering for 4 weeks, then a week of plain water to help flush out any residual salts.  Yes, it is more of a pain- but as you get more and more containers to water, it's easier to justify mixing up a batch of 20-40 gallons of fertilizer at once to water everything with.  This also allows me to adjust the PH of my water to the plant's needs.  I've decided it is easier to adjust the PH of the water for all of my acid-loving plants to keep them in the ideal PH zone than it is to use soil amendments like sulfur.  If I only had one acid-loving plant, granular sulfur would make sense, even with all the required follow-up PH checking and re-adjusting.  But with well over 50 acid-loving plants, I find it easier to just adjust their water to PH 5.5 every time with a little acid.

Kevin

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk