Author Topic: Bolivian Mangosteen / Lemon Drop Mangosteen  (Read 16182 times)

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
Bolivian Mangosteen / Lemon Drop Mangosteen
« on: January 23, 2012, 07:55:54 PM »
Any of you garcinia wizards know if Bolivian Mangosteen can be grafted to Lemon Drop Mangosteen??

Jeff
Jeff  :-)

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
Re: Bolivian Mangosteen / Lemon Drop Mangosteen
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 08:08:48 PM »
Never tried it, but Murahilin and I tried grafting lots of really excellent mangosteen scions onto both G. intermedia and also G. Livinstonei.  Some of Murahilin's intially looked like they were going to take.  Mine all died straight away. His were not far behind though.  Not sure if the issue was grafting expertise (or lack thereof more precisely) or excessive heat or something else.

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

lycheeluva

• Brooklyn, NY
  • obsessed with fruit growing, especially lychees
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 08:33:11 PM »
in sheehan's case it was definitly the garcinias refusing to grow in a garden of someone who finds a pommelo to be a better tasting fruit than a cherimoya

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 09:43:02 PM »
My understanding is that grafted garcinias do not do very well.  I have heard this information from at least two (2) people that have done several garcinia grafting.  Sometimes the graft takes but there is always a noticeable calus as if the scion and the root stock were incompatible.  My friend is Brazil is the biggest producer of Achachairu/achacha/Bolivian mangosteen in northeast Brazil and he told me that instead of grafting achachairu it is better to grow them from seeds.
Another friend of mine, a botanist told me that he did a zilion garcinia grafting and that the ones that took the graft produced only one time and then the tree did not produce again.
These photos are from achachairu produced by my friend in Recife, Brasil.
[

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 10:05:09 PM »
Any of you garcinia wizards know if Bolivian Mangosteen can be grafted to Lemon Drop Mangosteen??

Jeff

I'm sure you can do it!! DO a saddle graft, inverted cleft, like whitman did for mangosteen!!!
I'll buy one Jeff, even if it calluses all weird!!

GOOD LUCK :) :) :)  U HAD AMAZINGLY SMALL AND FRUITING MAKOK SAPODILLA!!! U HAV A GOOD TOUCH WITH THE GRAFTING, YOU'LL GET IT FOR SURE..
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 10:06:23 PM »
My understanding is that grafted garcinias do not do very well.  I have heard this information from at least two (2) people that have done several garcinia grafting.  Sometimes the graft takes but there is always a noticeable calus as if the scion and the root stock were incompatible.  My friend is Brazil is the biggest producer of Achachairu/achacha/Bolivian mangosteen in northeast Brazil and he told me that instead of grafting achachairu it is better to grow them from seeds.
Another friend of mine, a botanist told me that he did a zilion garcinia grafting and that the ones that took the graft produced only one time and then the tree did not produce again.
These photos are from achachairu produced by my friend in Recife, Brasil.
[

BERTO,

this looks like G. gardneriana, am I mistaken??? this is G. laterifolia?

Thanks friend!

Adam
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Tomas

• USA, Virginia - 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 10:25:40 PM »
Hi Jeff,

I don't know that,  but what I do know is that in Brazil there is a dwarf variety of G. brasiliensis. A grower in Brazil told me that they use that as rootstock for Garcinias. Although. I am not sure which of the Garcinia species it's compatible with.

Tomas

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2012, 12:14:12 AM »
I've never tried grafting achachairu onto lemon drop, but i'm pretty sure it would work. I think Berto's remarks about difficulty of grafting garcinias only applies to mangosteen. The rheedias (South American fruits) are very easy to graft. Your farmer friend's remark about starting achachairu from seed may still be true as they are fairly fast from seed, and probably a lot more vigorous and productive than grafted trees. So this may be true for the orchardist, but for someone growing only one plant it may not be true.
Oscar
Oscar

TropicalFruitHunters

• USA, Columbus, OH, xxxxx Zone 5b
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2012, 07:53:07 AM »
While in PR, a few of us purchased some grafted garcinias...lemon drop, achachairu, madruno(?).  The grafts all look wonderful but the plants themselves are nothing short of unimpressive.  While the grafted achachairu does put out some growth now and then, the lemon drop has yet to honor me with a single new leaf.  My seedling plants of each far out grow them.  I seriously doubt that the grafted ones will fruit any sooner than the seedling plants.  But of course we still had to purchase them!  Now if that nursery really wanted to impress me...they would have male/female grafted cherapu available!!

Speaking of cherapu...Oscar...what is the status of your flowering plant?  Any hint of fruit forming?

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2012, 12:14:51 PM »
Adam,
I chose the biggest fruits and they were kind of round for these photos, in Recife.   The original achachairu seeds were from Santa Cruz, Bolivia.  My friend imported the seeds long time ago and now he grows them commercially.
He calls achachairu, "garcinia laterifolia".  We have had our share of controversy naming garcinias.

Tomas, I tried to locate the guy you mentioned is grafting achachairu to a native Brazilian garcinia.  I have read that  he is having success with them.  Apparently, the grafted achachairus produce in three (3) to four (4) years.  This guy is located in the state of Goias. So far, I have not been able to talk to him.

My original post, I meant to say that garcinias do not do well when grafted.  That was one of my first statements.

adiel

• Zone 10b Miami FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2012, 02:35:13 PM »
Berto, how does the Achachairu taste?

Adiel
Adiel

TropicalFruitHunters

• View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2012, 02:56:43 PM »
Exquisite!  Top five to say the least.  Like mangosteen...you could sit and eat till you burst.

adiel

• Zone 10b Miami FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2012, 03:32:43 PM »
Cool Jay.  Where can we get it?  ;D

Adiel
Adiel

TropicalFruitHunters

• View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2012, 04:09:34 PM »
Govardhan Gardens or Montoso Gardens in PR.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2012, 05:03:02 PM »
Hi Jay, no fruit set on the cherapu yet. I think those were freak flowers forming at wrong time of year. I'm hoping to have some fruits this summer. All plants are 6 foot tall or over.
Oscar
Oscar

TropicalFruitHunters

• View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2012, 06:59:10 PM »
Keep us posted please.  Any chance of some pics of those brutes??  Thanks!  J

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2012, 08:35:49 PM »
While in PR, a few of us purchased some grafted garcinias...lemon drop, achachairu, madruno(?).  The grafts all look wonderful but the plants themselves are nothing short of unimpressive.  While the grafted achachairu does put out some growth now and then, the lemon drop has yet to honor me with a single new leaf.  My seedling plants of each far out grow them.  I seriously doubt that the grafted ones will fruit any sooner than the seedling plants.  But of course we still had to purchase them!  Now if that nursery really wanted to impress me...they would have male/female grafted cherapu available!!

Speaking of cherapu...Oscar...what is the status of your flowering plant?  Any hint of fruit forming?

Same here on my grafted achachairu. Tree looks fine but has not put out a single leaf since it was sent to me.

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2012, 09:36:08 PM »
Adiel,
They taste a little sweet a little tart...the right balance.  Once you start eating them, it is hard to stop.  I really like them.  Currently, I have some seedlings growing and I may get the first crop is 5 five years, maybe less.  The seedlings grow very slow in the first two years.  They seem to do better in half shade and half sun, during the juvenile stage.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2012, 12:47:07 AM »
Here you can see some Eugenia candolleana on the left and row of Garcinia prainiana on the right. (Click on image to get larger photo.) Eugenia candolleana is also a very tasty fruit. Those plants are only a couple years old. The G. prainiana is about 5+ years old.
Oscar

Close up of G. prainiana (cherapu or button mangosteen)

Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2012, 04:13:23 AM »
Berto, i don't think those photos you posted are of the Bolivian achachairu from Santa Cruz. Here is what they look like. You can see they are bigger and more pointed.

Oscar
Oscar

TropicalFruitHunters

• View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2012, 06:51:11 AM »
thanks for the pics Oscar.  Your cherapu look really good.  Kind of disheartening to see how big yours are and just now starting to bloom for the first time.  Looks like even my larger one has a long way to go.  I guess I should search for some male/female budwood and attempt a graft.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2012, 03:19:02 PM »
Jay, i think potted plants behave quite differently than plants in the ground. Seems to me that potted plants tend to fruit when a lot smaller. Thought i'd cheer you up.  ;D
Oscar

TropicalFruitHunters

• View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2012, 07:30:36 PM »
Thanks Oscar...I needed that...especially after my multiple rootstock failure story brought back painful memories!

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2012, 10:38:34 PM »
Oscar,
I am 100% positive that the photos I posted are achachairus that I ate in Recife Brasil, on April 4, 2011.  I am also 99.999% sure that they are descendants of achachirus from Santa Cruz, Bolivia.  The .0001 % error margin is because I was not in Santa Cruz, Bolivia when the seeds were purchased by my close friend Romero.  Romero is currently the biggest producer of achachairu in Brasil.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2012, 10:48:33 PM »
Berto, i don't think those photos you posted are of the Bolivian achachairu from Santa Cruz. Here is what they look like. You can see they are bigger and more pointed.

Oscar

You set those fruit awfully close to those turds! you have a deer that leaves those droppings on your grass? ;D ;D ;D ;)

Those seeds do look like something that the guy at petsmart dreads picking out of the iguana cage every few days... :P :P ;D ;D
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com