Author Topic: Green Mango that Taste Good Ripe or Any Mango that Taste Good Unripe?  (Read 2504 times)

palingkecil

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
Here is the problem:
I like green mango salad and it is hard to find a good quality green mango to buy.
We have limited space, and so far we have: Peach Cobbler, Triple Sec, Sweet Tart, Sugar Loaf, Orange Sherbet, Glenn, Honey Kiss, and a Super Julie is coming next year. Only Glenn has fruits this year, and it does not taste good unripe (hard to chew, bland).
I am the only one who likes green mango salad, the rest of my big family love sweet ripe mangoes. So I am trying to find one last mango tree to fit the need here. I watched several youtube mango tasting, and Bhram Kai Mea/ Pram Kai Mea seems fit, but some of my friends say Maha Chanok tastes good unripe (crunchy, a little sour, sweet) and fantastic when it ripes.
Anyone can chip in their thought?
CAC tastes fantastic ripes, but nobody know how it taste unripe.
Please share your experience here.
Thank you everyone!
« Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 07:16:33 PM by palingkecil »

hawkfish007

• Highland, CA, 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Green Mango that Taste Good Ripe or Any Mango that Taste Good Unripe?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2020, 07:46:43 PM »
Cat Saigon tastes good when green and also when ripe, fruit size is big as well. The others you mentioned (maha and cac), I only tried them ripe.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2020, 08:23:40 PM »
I had a ripe Keow Savoy it was very good :)
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2020, 04:51:33 AM »
I think keow sawoy, Cedar Bay and Golden Queens (Taiwan Gold). Maybe I included keow sawoy because I have a tree. Maybe Kwan should be on the list as well. All these are excellent ripe as well with classic stronger sweet tones and no hint of hint of hydrocarbon.

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
  • FL Gulf Coast Fruit Lover Spam Fighter
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2020, 08:00:16 AM »
I grafted a Pim Seng Mun successfully this year, hoping it fits that bill. Doesn't sound amazing ripe, but good, and great when green (crispy, crunchy with a tart apple taste).

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2020, 10:28:29 AM »
PSM ripe are mediocre...would not bring it into contention.

BKM are really good when fully ripe and can be equally be eaten green.

Mahachanok can be eaten green and ripe.
- Rob

palmtreeluke

• SW Florida
    • View Profile
    • Green Planet Farm
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2020, 12:34:42 PM »
Keow Yai mango. great green and crunchy.  twice as good as NDM mai when ripe.
Home of the Chewy Purple Sugar Apple Annona squamosa 'Isan Indigo'
www.greenplanetfarm.com

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2020, 03:28:02 PM »
Mun Khun See

Triphal

• US, Midatlantic, Charles Town, 6b + Lowland Tropical Zone 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2020, 03:59:11 PM »
Banganapalle. Tastes superb while green and raw also.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2020, 07:08:35 PM »
The ones I get are raw and green from a South Asian Supermarket. I think they are from India, I dont know what variety they are, but I think they are not the commonly sold ones otherwise they would say so. They are very small and underdeveloped. I use them to make sour lentils.

I also know of another variety(not in the UK) that is so sweet, it can be eaten without waiting for it to ripen.

So how is this a recommendation?  Two mangoes of unknown varietal and origin that you purchased in a store...

The OP asked for varieties that can are good when eaten green AND good when eaten ripe.

If you have something real to add, great, otherwise please consider the environment...
- Rob

sunny

• Thailand
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2020, 07:42:43 PM »
Keo savoey can be great but the taste differs on condition/location. They can also be bland when green.

Mun khun si is always perfect, buy them very green and still hard...in the fridge they slowly ripen and can be kept for 2-3 weeks easy. Also ripe they are great.

namdocmai gold is not eaten green.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2020, 06:59:24 AM »
Keo savoey can be great but the taste differs on condition/location. They can also be bland when green.

Mun khun si is always perfect, buy them very green and still hard...in the fridge they slowly ripen and can be kept for 2-3 weeks easy. Also ripe they are great.

namdocmai gold is not eaten green.

Thanks Sunny for that information.
 I gave my neighbor's a Keow Savoy because they are accustomed to eating unripe green mangoes. I will graft your suggestion on to their tree this spring. I am pretty sure the Cool Cat in West Palm Beach should have that bud wood :)

« Last Edit: October 30, 2020, 07:04:06 AM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2020, 07:11:10 AM »
One thing to keep in mind with all these recommendations is that not all varieties perform the same, or perform at all, in certain locations.  What may be a good candidate in Florida, may not work in California,  and similarly in California, Thailand,  Australia,  etc. 

With that being said, the OP should speak to those who grow AND fruit mangoes in SoCal to see what would work best for the location.
- Rob

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2020, 09:37:22 AM »
I'm tired of all the complaints respectively../
?  (I wish I understood.)
« Last Edit: October 31, 2020, 09:38:50 AM by johnb51 »
John

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2020, 09:03:49 PM »

Ingredients

200 gram raw mango
    1/4 cup Pudina/mint leaves
    1 lemon juice
    1 tsp cumin powder
    1 tsp black salt
    to taste Salt
    1 tsp chat masala
    1 tbsp Finely chopped raw mango
    1 cup sugar
    Pinch green food colour

Steps

Wash mango and remove skin with puller, cut into small pieces

Add the all ingredients in the mixer jar and grind till the puree smooth

Transfer in the bowl add the one glass water(as require) and add pinch of food colour mix well it

Pour it in the Popsicle mould and add 2 -3 piece Finely chopped raw mango, keep a freezer for overnight

Now run the mould in water and in unmould it, ready yummy popsicle

Eggo

• USA, California, LA/OC, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Palingkecil, I thought I would revive this thread as I'm interested in what the outcome was on the varieties you grew.  Which would you deem excellent green eating?  It does not matter whether they are sweet green eating or sour green.

I'm growing out several Zill varieties and one of my objective is finding which one is not just an excellent ripe mango but also an excellent eating green variety.  It does not matter if it's sour.  Some mangos just aren't good green whether it's bland, too tough, too porous and not crunchy, or too much strong terpenes smell and wax.

palingkecil

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
Palingkecil, I thought I would revive this thread as I'm interested in what the outcome was on the varieties you grew.  Which would you deem excellent green eating?  It does not matter whether they are sweet green eating or sour green.

I'm growing out several Zill varieties and one of my objective is finding which one is not just an excellent ripe mango but also an excellent eating green variety.  It does not matter if it's sour.  Some mangos just aren't good green whether it's bland, too tough, too porous and not crunchy, or too much strong terpenes smell and wax.

Hi Eggo,

Unfortunately I have not try much varieties last year. Only my Sweet Tart held it's fruits to maturity. I tried a Sweet Tart when it was green, I did not like it. It was not crunchy at all, not soft either, more like annoyingly in between, and kind of bland.
This year, my OS, Val-carrie, Kathy, Manila, Super Alphonso, Sugarloaf and CAC are still holding fruit now, so it is a good sign, and I will pick one of each variety when it reaches green edible size.
So far, Asian varieties like Pram Kai Mea are still the best for both eating green and ripe. I tried a Pram Kai Mea from my friend's tree, and I will ask her for a scion this year.
One variety from Zill that gets positive review on eating both green and ripe, is Pickering. But I never try one myself, since my Pickering is still too small.
I will give a review once I get to compare my other Zill's.

nileshkwr

• India
    • View Profile
Unripe Alphonso is used in India for making chuteny , drink called 'Panha' . It is eaten untipe with applying salt and chili powder. Unripe alphonso is crunchy and tasty. But I think its too tart to used in salad directly. First buy some unripe fruits and decide.

Eggo

• USA, California, LA/OC, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Thanks I will have to try to graft Pickering.  I just grafted an Alphonso and a Bennett Alphonso, got my fingers cross but grafts haven't done anything yet.

Really unfortunate that sweet tart was not good as a green mango.  The ripe mango sounds amazing from the reviews and I was lucky to get some grafts to take this year.  I was really hoping it was the perfect green sour and ripe.  I'm probably about 3 years out before I get to try many of these varieties.  Keep us updated. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk