Author Topic: Central Florida food forest ideas.  (Read 5137 times)

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
Re: Central Florida food forest ideas.
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2019, 08:43:05 AM »
I have mango in ground but the freezes we get every couple winters will knock them back or freeze them to the trunks. Papaya has the same issue. At least where I am(about halfway to Cocoa along 528) papaya do not last very long due to the cold and its not common to see them in their large forms. I would get a mango though, just don't expect the giant tree versions you see in warmer climates.

Empoweredandfree

• FL zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2019, 02:46:39 PM »
Legume nitrogen fixing trees like Inga or Guamuchil.Mesquites.

Ice cream bean tree? Would that survive?

Empoweredandfree

• FL zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2019, 02:47:58 PM »
I have mango in ground but the freezes we get every couple winters will knock them back or freeze them to the trunks. Papaya has the same issue. At least where I am(about halfway to Cocoa along 528) papaya do not last very long due to the cold and its not common to see them in their large forms. I would get a mango though, just don't expect the giant tree versions you see in warmer climates.

Being papaya fruits real quick if I start with a 7 gallon in spring I知 sure I値l get fruit.

What about Green Sapote or seasonal fruits like watermelon?

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2019, 09:43:13 PM »

Being papaya fruits real quick if I start with a 7 gallon in spring I知 sure I値l get fruit.

Start papaya yourself by seed it is very easy and only would need a 1 gallon pot. Most nursery grown papaya trees I have seen are way overgrown leggy and not worth the money. You can grow far better papaya plants yourself. Transplant immediately after last possible frost. You can have green papaya quickly but ripe will take 9 months or so. Highly recommend Red Lady, I have planted 200 of these seeds and never got a male plant, sold many 100's lbs of fruit.

https://www.shop.alohaseed.com/product.sc?productId=17&categoryId=4

Empoweredandfree

• FL zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2019, 10:22:32 PM »

Green Papaya is useless to me, but being I will have a greenhouse I値l start seeds this summer and plant next spring so I値l get fruit. I heard Red Lady is good but if I知 going the seed route I値l experiment with many types. I see 3 gallon red lady for sale a lot so I壇 imagine they壇 produce ripe fruit by fall

Start papaya yourself by seed it is very easy and only would need a 1 gallon pot. Most nursery grown papaya trees I have seen are way overgrown leggy and not worth the money. You can grow far better papaya plants yourself. Transplant immediately after last possible frost. You can have green papaya quickly but ripe will take 9 months or so. Highly recommend Red Lady, I have planted 200 of these seeds and never got a male plant, sold many 100's lbs of fruit.

https://www.shop.alohaseed.com/product.sc?productId=17&categoryId=4