Author Topic: Owari and Brown select vs Orange and Artic frost  (Read 1046 times)

Empoweredandfree

• FL zone 9
    • View Profile
Owari and Brown select vs Orange and Artic frost
« on: December 03, 2021, 03:11:27 PM »
Looking to put in new satsumas. Just curious about opinions on these 4 varieties available at a local nursery. I was strongly considering the frost varieties due to cold hardiness but based on initial research that seems to be sketchy. Also very limited I do on the taste on the frost varieties. Any opinions greatly appreciated! Thank

countryboy1981

• 8B Alabama
    • View Profile
Re: Owari and Brown select vs Orange and Artic frost
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2021, 05:26:36 PM »
I cannot comment as to the hardiness of the artic frost compared to a satsuma as I plantee mine the spring of 2020, but it is more of a cutie sized satsuma.  The peel has a different fragrance but the fruit tastes great.

Empoweredandfree

• FL zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2021, 09:18:27 AM »
Thank you, excellent. I couldn’t find much feedback on the taste of the artic/orange frost varieties. I like the traditional satsumas but am intrigued by the additional cold hardiness of the newer ones especially with a grand solar minimum soon to begin.

Yorgos

• USA, Houston, Texas USDA zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2021, 02:03:35 PM »
I am under the understanding that frost owari is a nod to the name of the individual who developed it. It has no reference to its cold hardiness.  So, Frost owari has the same hardiness as other satsuma's. If I am incorrect, someone please correct me.
Near NRG Stadium, Houston Texas. USDA zone 9a

Empoweredandfree

• FL zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2021, 08:04:04 PM »
I think Artic and Orange frost are not the same as frost owari. My reading indicates that the frost varieties are not as cold hardy as advertised but still I think more time is needed to confirm this. They started grafting them now which I’m not fond of because if it dies to the ground that’s the end of the tree. One of the things that intrigued me was they were on their own roots initially

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk