Author Topic: looking for most cold hardy poncirus trifoliata  (Read 772 times)

GarySmith

• Kent, Michigan, zone 5b
    • View Profile
looking for most cold hardy poncirus trifoliata
« on: January 14, 2023, 09:09:12 PM »
Hello, I am in a zone 5b part of michigan and want to grow citrus. I read that FD can handle -20c which is about the average winter low here. I would prefer to not have to add extra winter protection. I am wondering if there is a form of poncirus trifoliata that can handle a few degrees colder so I have a little more wiggle room in terms of cold tolerance.

kumin

• USA PA 6b
    • View Profile
Re: looking for most cold hardy poncirus trifoliata
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2023, 11:11:36 PM »
A trial could be attempted be sowing a large population of the highest percentage of zygotic Poncirus seed available. Provided the seedling population shows variation in hardiness, the hardiest specimens might attain your goal. If your goal is beyond the genetic capability of the seedlings you plant, success would be unlikely.

Ilya11

• France, Paris region, Vaux le Penil, middle of Northern z8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2023, 04:39:40 AM »
According to this  there are naturalized stands of PT in Illinois, Missouri and Kansas

Best regards,
                       Ilya

hardyvermont

• Anderson SC z 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2023, 11:55:10 AM »
Hello, I am in a zone 5b part of michigan and want to grow citrus. I read that FD can handle -20c which is about the average winter low here. I would prefer to not have to add extra winter protection. I am wondering if there is a form of poncirus trifoliata that can handle a few degrees colder so I have a little more wiggle room in terms of cold tolerance.
I grew Poncirus in Vermont.  There is a posting somewhere of someone growing it in zone 4 with frost cloth.  It is not the cold that kills it, but wind and winter sun.  If you can place it out of the wind and in the shade in winter it will survive. 

bussone

• Philadelphia, PA (7a)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2023, 01:48:27 PM »

I would talk to these guys:
https://greenstreettree.com/hardy-orange-in-michigan-2/

bussone

• Philadelphia, PA (7a)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2023, 01:50:14 PM »
Alternatively, zanthoxylum can handle zone 5, if you want something related.

GarySmith

• Kent, Michigan, zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2023, 02:25:24 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions. Does anyone know how hardy Poncirus polyandra is? Apparently the old citrus forum says it is more cold hardy than FD. Doubt that is true since it is an evergreen citrus.

mikkel

• Lueneburg, Germany Zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2023, 02:36:47 PM »
P.polyandra is way less hardy than trifoliata. I would say -6°C is already a thread. I lost larger branches at -6°C.
It doesn't die at single-digit subzero temperatures, but it doesn't thrive either. I don't think it will survive -10°C.