Author Topic: Carrie Mango production . How has it been lately in your area?  (Read 903 times)

mangomongo

• MERRITT ISLAND
    • View Profile
I know it's the most divisive mango out there! Love it /hate it, cat vomit or top 10 !

Personally, I love a good Carrie mango if you can pick it correctly and catch in the 48 hour window of " just right" but for the last three years my tree has been a Dud as far as producing. I haven't seen any of the others in my neighborhood do much either. It seems that they just arn't setting any fruit around here,( Merritt island). I am seriously considering top working the tree to something that is more productive, ( sugar loaf, tripplesec, honey kiss, also open to suggestions) Mine used to make buckets of them but now all the ones i know of close by have all stopped setting fruit and its not form a lack of trying or spraying. There is so much pollen in the air around mine a have to breath through my Shirt to look to see if anything has set.

If you hate it, OK i get it, tell me something better.

If you love it, also tell me something better!

Is anyone else having the same issue?

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
Re: Carrie Mango production . How has it been lately in your area?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2023, 03:04:49 PM »
I love it but my tree is dying of unexplained causes.   :'(  I will post pictures soon.  I've tried applying minerals (azomite) and fertilizer (organic irontone) but nothing changed yet.  I plan to try to plant a new tree from a different source (zill tree since  my tree came from PIN).

bulldawg305

• Miami, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2023, 07:29:26 PM »
I also have experienced essentially no mango production for the past two years with the 1 Carrie tree I have. Mine has flowered well and looks to be soon loaded with flowers again. I would wait to see how the fruit set is this year before top-working.

Honest Abe

• Biscayne Park, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2023, 08:42:32 PM »
My dads tree is in my neighborhood in Northeast Miami área, 4 miles west of ocean, 2 miles west of biscayne bay, it is 15-20 Years old and nice wide canopy probably 20 by 20 ft.

It’s had very light crops last few years but in 2019 had atleast 150 mangos. It blooms easily seemingly, but doesn’t set fruit well usually.

As far as sugarloaf and seacrest/triple sec, from my yard and my neigbors yard they are NOT productive or precocious In our neighborhood at least.

We are coastal like You and My neighbor has best production from
Orange sherbet and I have best  production from Bailey’s marvel(although it’s extremely vigorous).

I would research and consider  orange sherbet, cecilove, m4, Pickering, rosigold from what I’ve heard and read last few years.

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2023, 09:36:27 PM »
Last year no trees had mangoes.  The year before last year when Carrie was flowering the weather became very cold and all Carries had problems that year.  Carrie is an excellent mango and is not a bad producing mango.  Every yard, area, year is different - farming is very unpredictable - it's best to diversify your trees as much as possible.

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2023, 09:50:55 PM »
We have 11 Carrie trees and going back a number of years they’ve always been very productive until a down year in 2022 due to choppy flowering.

Looks like we’re about to get a strong bloom from them this cycle so I would expect a pretty good rebound year from them.

In humid areas they are prone to modern aggressive strains of anthracnose. Beyond that production issues usually are due to too many male flowers from some trees certain years. Angie , on the other hand, never has that problem.

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2023, 08:07:19 PM »
A vigorous grower in my yard. I Starve it for good fruit production (no fertilizer, no watering) in my yard.

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2023, 09:40:33 PM »
Here’s a pic of one of the Carries a couple seasons ago:

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2023, 10:20:29 PM »
I also love mine, it fruits well but that very short window of ripeness is a pain.
Regards,

Gary

mangomongo

• MERRITT ISLAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2023, 02:02:30 PM »
Thank you for the input Alex.

I need to try a few more Angie but I do remember liking it a lot and had grafted a couple pieces to my Carrie but accidently trimmed them off.  Maybe I will just cut the tree back and do a few more Angie grafts to be sure I get something out of the tree every year.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk