Author Topic: How long should new mango grafts be shaded from the sun?  (Read 1063 times)

RodneyS

• Cerritos, CA (Zone 11a)
    • View Profile
How long should new mango grafts be shaded from the sun?
« on: July 14, 2021, 01:02:26 PM »
I just grafted some Pickering scions, and was wondering how long should they be shaded before being exposed to full sun?

Honest Abe

• Biscayne Park, FL
    • View Profile
Re: How long should new mango grafts be shaded from the sun?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2021, 09:40:00 PM »
Bump.
just to see what the experts say.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2021, 10:43:01 PM »
When I have a fresh graft, I shade it until the union is formed and the scion begins to push new growth. This is usually around 3-4 weeks in SoCal during the summer. If it’s really hot when the buds begin to push, you can remove the shade in the evening when it’s not so hot and then put the shade or bag back on in the morning.

Usually after the new growth is exposed to some sun/UV for a few days, they will be able to take full sun after that, at least where I live.

If you baby the grafts and leave the shade bag on the scions for too long, the new growth will get used to the shade and if you suddenly remove the shade bag on a hot day, the leaves will burn.

Simon

alangr088

• Los Angeles, Zone 10B Sunset 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2021, 10:46:53 PM »
I just grafted some Pickering scions, and was wondering how long should they be shaded before being exposed to full sun?

I keep them shaded until I feel 100 percent it won’t die. How are you shading the grafts? Brown paper bag?

kh0110

• USA, Cerritos, CA 90703, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2021, 11:14:17 PM »
I don't shade or protect any of my grafts at all, mango or other grafts, and I'm not far from you, Rodney. No problem with success rate.
Too easy to blame the sun for bad cuts, bad timing, etc. LOL
Thera

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2021, 11:20:42 PM »
I had a similar experience with my grafts as mentioned by Simon last month. I thought the graft was doing good, remove the bag and the new leaves started to burn next day and shrink. I immediately cover it back up with the bag and left it on for another week. Now it recovered fine.I would be on the safe side and leave the bag/cover for sun protection until there is enough leaf growth, or slowly give it some sun.

UplanderCA

• USA,SoCal, Upland, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2021, 02:19:08 AM »
In the Inland Empire, the afternoon winds can wreck havoc on the bagged scions.  A few years ago I had a few grafts torn off with the along with the bag by a gust of wind.  Ever since then, I graft without bagging the scion.  I'm ok with my mango grafting success rate without the bags.  I try to locate the grafts so that there is some shade by other branches and leaves.  If your location has little to no wind or a gentle breeze, bagging the scions is a safe option.

RodneyS

• Cerritos, CA (Zone 11a)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2021, 09:48:27 AM »
I used stapled papers for shade.  Although, it was windy and some kept coming off, so I put mum starter pots over the scions

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2021, 10:20:23 AM »
If you are having trouble with wind, you can also wrap the scion and graft union with aluminum foil with the shiny side out. With foil, it’s a tighter wrap and it catches less wind. I have little wind at my house which is one of the reasons I have a lot of fungal issues.

I only shade my grafts in the hotter parts of Summer and I often don’t shade my grafts. I don’t like to baby them. If they are exposed to full sun when they push, they usually do fine. If the graft was bad, then the new growth can burn or it may appear that the new growth was burnt when in reality it was a push from stored energy and the graft actually failed.

Simon

UplanderCA

• USA,SoCal, Upland, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2021, 10:57:27 AM »
Rodney/Simon,  thanks for sharing the other options for windy areas.  In addition to providing good air flow, I find that the wind helps in thinning out the weaker fruit and some of the larger and heavier ones every now and then.

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2021, 02:04:03 PM »

Hide scion under shade but expose rootstock to sun.