Author Topic: Lanternfly damage on maypops?  (Read 591 times)

vnomonee

• Zone 7a northeastern NJ
    • View Profile
Lanternfly damage on maypops?
« on: July 12, 2022, 04:44:53 PM »
Are these tiny pinholes damage from lanternfly feeding? The only insect I've seen on my maypop vines. Fruit looks fine otherwise

vnomonee

• View Profile
Re: Lanternfly damage on maypops?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2022, 05:43:57 PM »
More of an eastern US problem right now, but yes can confirm that lanternfly nymphs feed on this fruit! Will have to see if fruit quality is affected once these ripen up :-[. Have seen them on my grapes, feijoa (potted), figs, cherry, and potted citrus.

Tree of heaven gets infested here so early winter removed all tree of heaven from my garden and burned egg cases but being that we are densely populated in my part of the state my neighbors have huge thickets of it lol

Nick C

• New Jersey Zone 7A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2022, 10:40:55 PM »
I have a serious infestation going on right now. Thousands per trees. They seem to be going after any tree with pinnate leaves just like the tree of heaven. Heartnut, black walnut, stag horn sumac are covered. Took out a ton tonight with some dawn/water in a sprayer

vnomonee

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2022, 12:32:23 AM »
I was killing at least 50 a day in early spring even with all the burning of egg cases but they are still popping up everywhere.

What sucks is I didn't properly remove tree of heaven (I didn't want to inject herbicide) so now I have to stay on top of root suckers coming up where the stump is and along the extensive root system, and those suckers that I miss are usually covered in them, but they will definitely get on anything its looking like.

Parasitic wasps and fungus as bio control for both the insect and the tree of heaven are being researched but that will be a while if anything comes of it.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2022, 12:45:10 AM by vnomonee »